StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Are you ready for an earthquake?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Are you ready for an earthquake?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Craig
Advanced Member

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - July 06 2019 :  02:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of us here in the Golden State are lucky. folks out in Ridgecrest, China Lake and Trona? Not getting much sleep. Trona is water short so they are trying to get some in Ridgecrest via donations of bottled water, etc., for s temporary supply.

Which reminds me, many of the "emergency food" supplies out there are pre-packaged dried foods. And not just earthquakes can disrupt power fr considerable lengths of time.

ajt
Average Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - July 06 2019 :  09:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son from California called us a little after eleven last night and said that he had just experienced the worst tremors that he has felt since he moved out there twenty-five years ago. He was a little shook and he doesn't shake easily. Reminded him of some Emergency Preparedness plans/tasks/equip - they had done some but like people everywhere had become complacent on others. Now they are scurrying with a few million others for some supplies ('borrowed' from their emergency stocks with the intent of replacing them...). He's a good solid guy but we are praying for them. And all others.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3663 Posts

Posted - July 06 2019 :  2:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Water is always critical during a power outage that shuts off the normal city water feed, or private well pumps. You can stockpile canned goods or MREs, but water is more important, and not hard to stockpile.
Living in Florida I'm used to hurricanes. The longest I've been without electricity was 8 days. But, we know they are coming, unlike earthquakes.
Still some simple advanced water prep helps for both. I have a bunch of 64-ounce plastic fruit juice bottles... washed out and filled with my well water... tucked under the kitchen sink. Another four of them are in my chest freezer. I normally carry a cooler for road trips and pistol matches and they work fine for my not having to buy ice. In a power failure, they're another couple gallons of drinking water.
You can stick away enough water to last for a few days.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4792 Posts

Posted - July 06 2019 :  4:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rule of 3s

>You can survive three minutes without breathable air (unconsciousness generally occurs), or in icy water.
>You can survive three hours in a harsh environment (extreme heat or cold).
>You can survive three days without drinkable water.
>You can survive three weeks without food.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1166 Posts

Posted - July 07 2019 :  07:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have some questions for you guys. Need some Ideas. How many days of food and water do you guys store for disasters? I keep a good supply of canned food, water, and pasta on hand. Also how much water? I have a drilled well (90') on my property, but it is not in use now. It has been tested and the water was good "at that time". It can be drawn by hand with a well bucket. Good, bad, or otherwise?

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4792 Posts

Posted - July 07 2019 :  10:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DHS recommends 3 days, I'd recommend at least tripling that

I've been on disaster recovery missions, in rural areas we helped folks that had been without help for 2 weeks.

that's a big problem for the elderly, especially if they needed medical care

stock pile your medication

when in doubt boil your water, including that hand drawn well water

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5698 Posts

Posted - July 07 2019 :  3:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've mentioned it before, but it's still valid--half gallon pop bottles, well rinsed out, make great storage containers. When we were stocking up, we'd mostly boil the water (out of the tap), then fill the bottles. They stack like cordwood in the basement. Lotsa people have a corner in the basement or storage room where these bottles can be accumulated. Water stays drinkable, it's out of the way, and if it ever comes down to rationing, each person can get a bottle a day, which would be sufficient for survival, barring excessive heat and/or exertion.
But be sure to clean them good, otherwise you'll get ugly little 'floaters' that not only look icky, but can compromise the quality.

For a while, when I had places to hunt and would spend a lot of time scouting and setting up, I'd keep several of these bottles in the back of the truck. Sometimes they'd be there for months up to a year or two before they got used. Water was always good, after summer heat and freezing in the winter--except those that I didn't get cleaned out well; those were, to use the technical term again, icky. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

JD

USA
114 Posts

Posted - July 08 2019 :  3:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot depends on where you are located. Here in Western Washington, if we get "The Big One" earthquake on the Cascadia Fault, virtually ALL supplies and services will be unavailable for 3 weeks to more than 3 months. No electricity, no water, no food, no natural gas, no gasoline...... Not a problem to store food, but no way you can store that much water, but we do have lots of lakes and streams. I solved the problem of long term water by building a water filter. I store enough water for several weeks, but with the water filter I can replenish my water from local creeks and lakes for months if need be....

The big problem is most people don't have enough supplies for 2 days, let alone 2 months, particularly those in the cities. After just a few days without water, they are going to get mighty restless..........

JD
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5472 Posts

Posted - July 08 2019 :  7:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm low on gasoline for the generator, but I have canned goods and dry goods with water stored and 2 different ways to cook. Lamps, lanterns, etc. we do have in good supply.
Keeping the unwelcome people away will be likely, but I think we are ready for that.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ben B.

674 Posts

Posted - July 24 2019 :  4:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím in Oregon and if the Big One on Cascadia subduction zone hits my main worry is water. I have about 15 gallons stored plus whatever is in the water heater but after that is gone would need to transport water back to use in multiple family size filters. Not a big problem if we can drive but could be difficult if roads or gasoline arenít available. Thinking about getting a 55 gallon barrel if I can find someplace indoors for it.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." --Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Ben B. on July 24 2019 4:34:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

914 Posts

Posted - July 25 2019 :  5:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our bug out location is only about 20 minutes from home. We have year-round water, and it is not easily accessible except for the gravel road that serves it and about a dozen other homes. Security will be good due to mostly like-minded neighbors. It is not that we are immune from earthquakes in the northeast corner of Washington, but we are not on any major fault lines.

The biggest problem we would have would be dealing with all the folks who escape from the Puget Sound area and run out of gas in the Spokane area.

Another concern here is a volcanic eruption of one of the peaks in the Cascade Range.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.45seconds. Snitz Forums 2000