Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - John Farnam's AR ammo recommendations
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Precision Battle Rifle
 John Farnam's AR ammo recommendations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evan
Administrator

34527 Posts

Posted - July 01 2019 :  6:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John told me he likes 55 gr fmj if he can't find CB DPX

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5433 Posts

Posted - July 01 2019 :  9:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep my mags loaded with 55 grain fmj with exception to two 20 rounders. 30 rd MagPuls loaded & ready for use ALL 55 grain ball ammo.
Still a rifle round folks...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5630 Posts

Posted - July 02 2019 :  12:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the M193 load is supposed to be good at upsetting and doing significant damage, and would be glad to trust it for social work; but how many of the loads called 193 really are? I tend to keep mags loaded with Soft Point 55gr. I seem to remember somebody who knows what they're talking about saying they tend to work well on windshield glass, plus country boy reasoning makes me think they'd be more effective on coyote-size critters than FMJ's, and I'm a lot more likely to shoot at those than at something/someone behind glass. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34527 Posts

Posted - July 02 2019 :  1:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace-I picked up a lot of Prvi Partisan 55 gr sp on the cheap from SG Ammo. My Ar's like it.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5630 Posts

Posted - July 02 2019 :  5:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prvi Partisan has become pretty much my go-to brand for .308, .223, and 7.62x39 ammo; all my guns seem to like it a lot, it's priced reasonable, and pigs hate it. Haven't gotten to shoot a deer with it yet, but when the time comes, I've no doubt they'll be unhappily impressed.
I owe Evan a debt of gratitude for pointing me to it. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
990 Posts

Posted - July 04 2019 :  1:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spitzer FMJs pretty much change forward ends/tumble when they hit a denser medium than air. I experimented with SMKs in both .223 and .308 at 100 and 200 yards. Seeing the different shaped holes in the baffles behind a water jug or 2 was fascinating but was only in .308. The .223 rounds didn't have enough cross sectional area to survive the forces and fragmented. I've also seen the fragmenting in hand loads using the Hornaday and Winchester 55 gr FMJs as well as whatever Fiocchi uses in their factory stuff.

Oddly enough, the Barnes 55 gr RRLP (reduced ricochet, limited penetration) showed better penetration that 55. gr ball and less/slower expansion than JHPs. Apparently their primary purpose is shooting steel reaction targets with minimum shrapnel and target damage.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34527 Posts

Posted - July 04 2019 :  1:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found that Lake City 55 gr works as intended

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

dubiousone

646 Posts

Posted - July 13 2019 :  11:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto that Evan,
I'm partial to Federal P223E 55gr BTHP because I know it works. The Dept is issuing CCI GD 62gr SP which I like
only for its performance on auto glass & body. (but for that I'd prefer other options than a dang 22 LOL) I think the Federal load is better on peoples.

M193 is my most-used 'personal' followed by M855. Y'all can guess why the 855, LOL.

Expert? I ain't no expert, just a
Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual...
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9808 Posts

Posted - July 31 2019 :  07:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of what I have is either U.S.G.I. or South African 56 gr.

I've shot some stuff with the G.I. ammo - it pretty much worked as the above indicates in flesh, it is lousy on glass.

I don't know about the bullet in Privi Partisan but the stuff shoots good. The PMC 55gr seems to have too thick a jacket as does the German and Swiss stuff (I think that was on purpose as they did not like fragmntation).

I do like Corbon DPX or Barnes VorTx but I admit, I have far more M193 or M855 and it will certainly do what I need a 5.56 for (which is usually small vermin).

I'm told that Federal Fusion is very close to the old Federal Tactical Bonded in performance. I'm also told that since ATK took over it is basically a 62 gr Gold Dot - in any case it seems to be a pretty good bullet.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34527 Posts

Posted - July 31 2019 :  4:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaving for Cleveland in a bit. The wife has a second round of tests at the Cleveland Clinic regarding a leaking heart valve and I really appreciate you keeping her in your prayers.

Once things have settled upon our return I want to cronho a number of 5.56 rounds thru the 8.5" barrel of Little Evil II.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

900 Posts

Posted - July 31 2019 :  5:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayer offered for your sweetheart and those who tend to her needs...for the best possible outcome. I didn't forget you, or your family members either.

Safe travels and keep us informed. God Bless you all!

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5630 Posts

Posted - July 31 2019 :  9:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll be interested the chronograph results, more so on news about your best friend. Prayers will be up. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5433 Posts

Posted - July 31 2019 :  10:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers said for your better half Evan.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly