Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Antioch TN Church Shooter
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Antioch TN Church Shooter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1116 Posts

Posted - May 23 2019 :  08:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His trial is in it's third day. They got him cleaned up and in a nice gray suite. He took the stand in his own defense and I think the prosecution has its turn today. Yesterday he had no memory of any of the shootings but did know he was at the Antioch church on that day.

The defense had no witnesses to testify and explain his laps of memory on selected subjects. The defense seems to be playing the mentally ill game with no witnesses to back that defense up. The state is asking for prison time, life w/o parole.

Edited to add; The shooter is a Sudanese immigrant.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on May 23 2019 09:28:06 AM

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - May 23 2019 :  12:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I understand it, to be found not guilty by reason of insanity, you have to prove that you didnít know that what you were doing was a crime.

So if, for example, you tried to get away, that demonstrates that you did know what you were doing was a crime, and thus you canít plead insanity.

Isnít it curious how the mainstream media doesnít choose to cover cases where Ďimmigrants of colorí commit violent crimes?

Hard not to imagine that if the shooter were White, weíd be hearing a lot more about it. And if he had, say, a Confederate flag decal on the bumper of his pickup truck, that would be all over the national news....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3601 Posts

Posted - May 23 2019 :  2:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

His trial is in it's third day. They got him cleaned up and in a nice gray suite. He took the stand in his own defense and I think the prosecution has its turn today. Yesterday he had no memory of any of the shootings but did know he was at the Antioch church on that day.

The defense had no witnesses to testify and explain his laps of memory on selected subjects. The defense seems to be playing the mentally ill game with no witnesses to back that defense up. The state is asking for prison time, life w/o parole.

Edited to add; The shooter is a Sudanese immigrant.

I have read a media report that stated the shooter told cops that he wanted to kill 10 white people. It indicated that this was in response to another church shooting, which the news report mentioned, where 9 black people were killed.

It would seem that the defense attorney has no option but to plead insanity. The defense has nothing else.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1116 Posts

Posted - May 23 2019 :  8:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The case went to the jury this afternoon. They deliberated for 1 hour and dismissed. They will return tomorrow morning.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1116 Posts

Posted - May 24 2019 :  5:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The church shooter has been found guilty on over at least 43 counts with the biggie being 1st degree murder. He will get 51 years in prison, for the 1st degree murder charge, and the jury is now deliberating whether or not he will become eligible for parole. The other counts will be added by the judge later. The death penalty was not on the table. Why, I don't know. Could be the mental thing?

Edited to add; The media reported that some fireworks occurred between the lady judge and the lawyers during the trial. Supposedly it was over what the jury was allowed to hear.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on May 24 2019 5:44:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3601 Posts

Posted - May 24 2019 :  5:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
51 years for 1st Degree Murder? In addition to 34 other counts (which I have to assume include Ag Assault, Attempted Murder, etc.). That's it???
And now they are deliberating parole???

What the heck is wrong with that court

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1116 Posts

Posted - May 24 2019 :  5:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Chris, other station just added the other counts will be added to his total years, by the judge later.

Edited to add; Some of the Church members asked that the death penalty not be considered in this case.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on May 24 2019 6:29:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5630 Posts

Posted - May 24 2019 :  6:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if they (the jury) votes 'no parole', the judge could be lenient, and give him only one year each for the other charges--to be served consecutively with the murder sentence. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - May 24 2019 :  7:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is outrageous: somebody kills someone in cold blood, he ought to die....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5630 Posts

Posted - May 25 2019 :  01:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He will. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1116 Posts

Posted - May 25 2019 :  09:18:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The church preacher was on TV, after the verdict came in, and said, "We have not heard an "I sorry" from him yet. After we heard the recorded conversations, between his girlfriend and him from his jail time, the shooter was a totally different man than the guy who worshiped with us. We really saw the true person he was after listening to the content of those calls."

The jury will reconvene, on Tuesday, to render their decision as to whether the shooter gets parole, on the 1st degree conviction, or not.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - May 25 2019 :  09:39:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

He will. Ace

LOL
Good point...

Go to Top of Page

djwarner
Average Member

USA
264 Posts

Posted - May 25 2019 :  09:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting a death sentence may not make much difference. This week Florida executed a man who spent 30+ years on death row while exhausting his appeal options. This morning the local radio news reporter said we have prisoners on death row over 40 years.

As Ace said, we all have a death sentence. Wise men prepare for the judgement that comes later.

NON NOBIS TANTUM NATI
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1116 Posts

Posted - June 06 2019 :  6:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the late post. I have been camping with 5 of my 6 grandchildren.

The church shooter got life without parole, from the jury, on the 1st degree murder charge. I understand he will get more, from the judge, on the other 42 counts against him.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

J Wagner

215 Posts

Posted - June 10 2019 :  12:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tennessee has had more inmates on death row die from natural causes that execution. This guy is unlikely to draw a breath of air outside a prison.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - June 10 2019 :  1:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And meanwhile, every breath he takes is costing TN taxpayers more $

The death penalty is perfect for people like him, whose guilt is not in doubt.

And itís absurd when it takes decades to make it happen.

Edited by - LittleBill on June 10 2019 1:42:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - June 10 2019 :  1:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And leaving aside the obvious fact that anyone who does what this guy did, clearly has mental problems; doesnít the fact that a killer is crazy make him even more dangerous than a sane person? Even less likely to ever be rehabilitated? And therefore, more worthy of the death penalty?

Edited by - LittleBill on June 10 2019 1:53:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1116 Posts

Posted - June 10 2019 :  9:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several of the church members requested the death penalty not be used. The prosecution honored their request.

Edited to add; J Wagner, TN has executed 3 death row inmates lately. The last governor allowed 2. The new Repub governor allowed an execution a month ago.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on June 10 2019 9:18:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - June 10 2019 :  11:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well in my humble opinion, those church members were confused in their thinking.

And the judge was definitely out of line conceding to their request: his job isnít to pander to the emotions of the few; itís to serve the general public good by administering justice.

I imagine there were also members of the congregation who wanted that killer to pay the ultimate price.

And bottom line: the public is best served by putting that guy away permanently; in the only place where heís guaranteed not to cause any more heartbreak, or cost the State any more money: six feet under.

Or so I see it....

Edited by - LittleBill on June 10 2019 11:42:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1116 Posts

Posted - June 12 2019 :  09:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Bill, you have the lady in South Carolina, on TV this morning begging the jury not to sentence her X to death, for murdering all 5 of her children. Supposedly he did it to keep her from gaining custody of their children.

There are people who do not believe in the death penalty, however one does have the right to their opinions. I see nothing wrong with the death penalty, myself, if the crime warrants it. Both the Antioch shooter and the guy in S C fall into that domain, IMHO.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - June 12 2019 :  09:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree.

The most cogent argument against the death penalty, is the number of people on death row whose convictions have been overturned as a result of DNA evidence. Thereís no doubt that there are serious flaws in the way some people are convicted.

But the fact is, that in this imperfect world, no system is going to function perfectly: there will always be some injustices. Regrettable, but true.

As I see it, the solution for that is to improve the system, not to do away with the death penalty; which continues to be the best response to certain crimes, IMO.

As for the woman pleading leniency for her child-murdering ex: just plain crazy....

Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2335 Posts

Posted - June 12 2019 :  11:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Tennessee has had more inmates on death row die from natural causes that execution. This guy is unlikely to draw a breath of air outside a prison."

If Dahmer had been sentenced to death he would still be alive.

The only difference between LWOP and death is the living conditions, and the $ spent on lawyers. The death penalty is full employment for the legal industry, thanks to the legal industry.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4712 Posts

Posted - June 12 2019 :  7:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the difference is there is no life without parole

there are 2 scum to be released in New York after receiving life for the rape and murder of a 16 year old girl

Richard LaBarbera and his partner beat a young girl unconscious in 1980, LaBarbera thought the girl was dead and tried to rape her.

when she moved he stabbed her five times

they got 25 to life, but the parole board guesses they could be released

they both deserved death, but this passes for justice

if it was my little girl, they'd be safer in prison...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

J Wagner

215 Posts

Posted - June 18 2019 :  2:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

Edited to add; J Wagner, TN has executed 3 death row inmates lately. The last governor allowed 2. The new Repub governor allowed an execution a month ago.

I realize that, but there are over 50 inmates on death row. At this rate, would take almost 20 years to clear them out.

GW, we supposedly have life (51 years before eligible for parole) and life without parole. The life without parole option is fairly new, but who know what'll happen in 20 years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.23seconds. Snitz Forums 2000