Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Another Security Six Question
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 Another Security Six Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5695 Posts

Posted - April 15 2019 :  8:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had another fabulous idea. Got a 6" Security Six, too big nowadays to carry, considering my wardrobe, and have no serious practical use for it except that I like it and want to keep it.
The question: Does anybody know where to find a scope mount for these old guns? Or happen to have one laying around looking for a gun to go on? I've tried all the usual places, and a couple I hadn't heard of before, with no joy. I did find a reference that the Weaver Model 305 is one of the right ones, but can't find any in stock anywhere. Just hoping somebody knows where to find a mount, or maybe has one no longer needed.

Maybe I should start collecting classic cars. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

rla
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - April 20 2019 :  6:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jack Weigand makes a mount that will take one of the small red dots.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5695 Posts

Posted - April 20 2019 :  9:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll look it up. Thanks. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5695 Posts

Posted - April 21 2019 :  5:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looked up Weigand's site, didn't see anything for the SecSix, so sent him an e-mail. Mind you, this was yesterday (Saturday), and I wasn't expecting a reply until at least Monday. Got a replay today (Easter Sunday), he told me which mount would work on my particular model, and I instantly ordered one, along with a set of Allen wrenches.
Best customer service I've gotten in a long time; I'll be back next time I need something.

Thanks, rla; if we ever happen to get together, I'm buying lunch--or supper, or whatever. Ace

Go to Top of Page

rla
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - April 26 2019 :  11:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope it works for you. Please post your experience.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5695 Posts

Posted - April 26 2019 :  11:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Put it on the gun last night, the hardest part was getting the little front pin out of the frame to remove the sight; and that was only because I had to improvise a punch--didn't have one that small.
Now I'm looking at red-dot sights. Want one that is compact, sits low to the base, and won't take a new mortgage on the house to buy. Suggestions are welcome, I'm game for anything that isn't illegal, immoral, or fattening---and that last might be negotiable. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3662 Posts

Posted - April 26 2019 :  11:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, a thought. If you are looking for a hunting/shooting optic... instead of a competition optic... why not consider a 2x pistol scope?
No batteries, always on, and bold duplex crosshairs do very good things
in the hunting fields. Burris & Weaver are good places to look here.
I've got compact reflex red dot sights on four of my competition guns (2 pistols,2 rifles)... but found a low power pistol scope a better bet for the hunting fields and have them on my hunting handguns.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3662 Posts

Posted - April 26 2019 :  1:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, a second thought... compact red dot sights I have used that are moderately priced and will stand up to handgun recoil are Burris FFIII and SIG Romeo1. Both, careful online shopping (Midway to start) are likely in the $280/$300 range... top battery load with 1632... you will need a picatinny mount, Burris may include it... I don't think SIG does: accessory at extra $$.

I use a 8 MOA dot on the Burris and a 6 MOA on the SIG, but you might be happier with a 3 MOA. I would still prefer a 2x scope for the field, but they are not compact, and that seems to be one of your requirements.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on April 26 2019 1:03:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5695 Posts

Posted - April 26 2019 :  8:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris. I had a scope on a .44 Redhawk back in the last century, it made the gun (well, my shooting of it) very precise. Unfortunately I never got to use it on any meat, but at 100 yards, leaning over the hood of the truck, I could puncture pop cans all day long. When I started carrying it for a bail-out gun, the scope came off, and I haven't scoped a pistol since.
The Weigand rail for this revawver is only maybe an inch-n-a-half or thereabouts, so not really enough room to securely mount a scope. One reason I'm wanting a red dot is that the little nephew put one on that same Redhawk--he got is as an early inheritance--and he's having really good results with it. I just want to try it; if I don't like it, the old sight can go back on.

Haven't looked at the SIG options yet, but I do like the Burris models. I found a Barska for something like $20, but that's too cheap even for me. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Rexster

USA
98 Posts

Posted - May 02 2019 :  11:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Rexster an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The new Aimpoint ACROS is getting a lot of attention from high-volume shooters who have been breaking Leupold Deltapoint Pros. Time will tell.

There is a new second generation of Trijicon RMR. This one has my attention, but I have been waiting for more user reports. Tentatively, the RM06, second generation, is my target, as the original RM06 seemed best for my eyes, based upon handling several RMR models.

I recently took delivery of an EGW mount, to use on my 6 Security Six. I had bought the Six pre-owned, in quite good condition, but the rear sight had seen better days. Probably carried much, but shot little. I have yet to install the mount.

Have Colts, will travel

Edited by - Rexster on May 02 2019 11:38:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5695 Posts

Posted - November 26 2019 :  3:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reviving an old thread.

First, I found a compact Weaver-brand red dot in my stuff; not the higher end models mentioned above, but I already had it, so it will do for the experimentation stage. Hopefully it will hold up to recoil.

Second, when I mounted it on the SecSix, the dot comes right to my eye with no extra manipulations or contortions, unlike some red dots I've played with on other handguns. That's a good thing. But, after putting it on, the gun just laid in the drawer all this time. Never did get around to taking it out to sight in or play with. So, it looked good, but no idea if it's gonna work good.

Third, during a mind-wandering moment the other day, it occurred to me that A) I'd probably never hunt with that particular revawver, considering the less-than-stellar reports I've heard re: .357's vs pigs and deers; B) I do have that 5" .44SPL GP100 that I do intend to hunt with, when I get the opportunity; C) wouldn't it be great if I could just switch the sights between the two guns, have the open sights back on the SecSix and the red dot on the .44? And it would sure be convenient if the sights would simply cross over both ways to save the inconvenience of ordering another base from Weigand AND finding the old rear sight from the .357. Well, danged if that very thing didn't happen. I never knew that GP and SecSix sights were interchangeable; but they are, so now the GP is wearing the red dot, and the SecSix has the open rear sight back.
So, if the weather cooperates, come Turkey Day and the traditional pre-dinner range time with the little nephew, the red dot should be sighted in and ready for the February pig hunt. The only two things that would make it better would be if the dot is just naturally dead-on with no adjustments, and the thing is sturdy enough to hold zero under the recoil. Next is to find an appropriate holster for the optic-mounted revawver. (E-bay, here I come....)
Thanks for letting me ramble so long. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3662 Posts

Posted - November 26 2019 :  6:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace...RE: Holster for optic-mounted handgun. Check out the soft shoulder holster for the Thomson/Center Contender. Works great for my 6.5-inch, 2x scope mounted S&W 629. You could also sew a belt loop onto it if you wanted belt carry. Cheap & very effective.

Just be sure to check the battery on your red dot before you get into the field. You'll likely have that sight ON for awhile, and a blank window doesn't help accuracy --- one reason why I like a scope.... which the T/C shoulder holster carries very nicely.

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5695 Posts

Posted - November 26 2019 :  6:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thought did occur that maybe I could finagle a bit of redneck engineering to fit a scope onto that short base somehow--maybe duct tape or Gorilla glue?
And I found an inexpensive bandoleer holster on ebay; don't remember the brand, but the picture for the revawver model looked virtually identical to the Contender model. A report will be forthcoming. Ace

Go to Top of Page

Deputy25

USA
984 Posts

Posted - November 26 2019 :  7:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, re: the less-than-stellar reports of the effectiveness of the .357 on deer and pigs. My agency issued 4" SW 686 with 145 Silvertip JHP for a good number of years before going to the Glock 31. During that time, I shot quite a few deer, and exactly two pigs (small sample size) and experienced stellar results. Maybe I was just lucky, but the .357 did its part when I did mine. I've had the exact same results with the Speer 125 JHP Gold Dot in .357 SIG (even smaller sample, one pig).

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9844 Posts

Posted - December 02 2019 :  11:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

Ace, a second thought... compact red dot sights I have used that are moderately priced and will stand up to handgun recoil are Burris FFIII and SIG Romeo1. Both, careful online shopping (Midway to start) are likely in the $280/$300 range... top battery load with 1632... you will need a picatinny mount, Burris may include it... I don't think SIG does: accessory at extra $$.

I use a 8 MOA dot on the Burris and a 6 MOA on the SIG, but you might be happier with a 3 MOA. I would still prefer a 2x scope for the field, but they are not compact, and that seems to be one of your requirements.

Once again we have similar experiences. I don't publicize it a lot but I've been experimenting with compact handgun optics since the early 1970s (I think the first one I tried was in the 70's - remember the Hutson Handgunner? and the Bushnell Phantom and Magnum Phantom - O did not own the Handgunner but I shot one. I broke both the Phantoms).

When compact red dots came out I bought (usually used or on sale) the Tryjicon RMR (02 to 06 models) - they are not cheap. I have 4 of them - two of them are broke! I bought the first version of the Leupold Delta Point - I bought it used at a gun shop but it was in the box with all the adapters. I found out it would not zero and sent it to a friend at Leupold who fixed it for free - it does still work.

The only small format RDS I've tried that is so far reliable is the Burris Fast fire (I think both of mine are IIs).

I also have a Trijicon Reflex II and the first model - both those seem to work but they are not small enough for handguns.

Anyway, I would second you thoughts on a scope or perhaps a 1" tube red dot for hunting. RDS sights on a handgun just have not been either reliable enough or fast enough for self defense for me ...yet.

some of them are accurate enough at range.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5695 Posts

Posted - December 02 2019 :  6:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If things go right and I don't get called to work tomorrow, I might can get to the indoor range to double check a couple of rifles for deer season--starts next week and maybe I'll get invited as a charity case. If a range trip comes about, I'll take the .44 and give it a try. I'm skeptical as to whether this little dot will hold up to the recoil; but being cheap--er, frugal--like I am, I'll try what I already have before spending money on something new. IF it holds up, and keeps zero, I'll be in tall clover; if not, either a scope that will fit the short base or a better quality RDS will be on the Christmas list.

The places we go to shoot pigs, it's common to get shots at 25-30 yards, if you can sit still and quiet enough when the feeders go off. 50 yards would generally be a long shot (I wouldn't try that with a handgun, beyond my comfort zone), and a couple of spots you might get 100 yards if you watch the woods carefully. If I can zero the rig to minute-of-pop-can at 25, I'll be happy. If it will go tighter, I'll be ecstatic. Ace

Edited by - Ace on December 02 2019 6:48:20 PM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000