Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Gunsmith
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Gunsmith
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Sigger

USA
102 Posts

Posted - March 12 2019 :  7:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope this is not against rules, but I am looking for gunsmith to do some work on my Para Ordnance LDA 45. I know they have a bad rep, especially as a off duty weapon for LEO, but I like the feel of it and I bought it new about 15 years ago.

Anyone know of a good and reputable gunsmith or armorer who may know Para?

Thanks

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1923 Posts

Posted - March 14 2019 :  11:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first stop would be Bill Laughridge’s gang at Cylinder & Slide. I don’t think there’s anything they can’t do with a 1911-ish design.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2728 Posts

Posted - March 15 2019 :  1:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ten Drivers suggestion is good AFAIK

I believe Robar would be good choice as well, especially if looking at one of their finishes after work was done.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3500 Posts

Posted - March 15 2019 :  3:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigger, what exactly is the issue with your gun that has you looking for a gunsmith?

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Sigger

USA
102 Posts

Posted - March 15 2019 :  11:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris Christian

"Sigger, what exactly is the issue with your gun that has you looking for a gunsmith?"

I purchased it new about ten years ago. Para doesn't have a great reputation and I wanted to get a reliability package, which checks the extractor, barrel ramp, and springs. Trouble is, I am not sure it is worth spending the money. I do like the trigger and size.

Edited by - Sigger on March 15 2019 11:32:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

miragetex

USA
108 Posts

Posted - March 17 2019 :  1:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much have you shot your LDA Para? I'm well aware that some of them had problems, but I've got a PDA .45 with the LDA that has run perfectly since new. If it ain't broke...
Go to Top of Page

Sigger

USA
102 Posts

Posted - March 17 2019 :  7:25:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks miragetex,

I am also having disassembling it for cleaning. I never had a problem, but haven't taken it from the safe for several years and the "wrench" that came with it was missing from the case. The on-line manual says to use a 5/32" hex wrench, but mine does not have any groves for a hex wrench. How does your LDA work.
P.S. I think I will take your advice, but must figure how to get it apart.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1923 Posts

Posted - March 19 2019 :  11:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Para quality changed a bit with the move to Pineville, NC but was still pretty good. The rough spot really came with the move to Huntsville, AL under Freedom Group. If your gun is earlier production, you probably won’t have any problems.
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2318 Posts

Posted - March 26 2019 :  6:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not familiar with the Para LDA specifically, but when I was a working gunsmith I did that kind of work on 1911s all the time and it's not all that special or hard. A competent 'smith should be able to accomplish what you want.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9768 Posts

Posted - April 22 2019 :  07:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sigger

Hope this is not against rules, but I am looking for gunsmith to do some work on my Para Ordnance LDA 45. I know they have a bad rep, especially as a off duty weapon for LEO, but I like the feel of it and I bought it new about 15 years ago.

Thanks

Does it have a full length guide rod?

If it does you use the wrench to fill the hole and trap the spring plug.

If it doesn't I don't have any idea what they are talking about since one of our deputies had one early on (it did not have the FLGR) and I took it completely apart to change the hammer (early ones had a commander style hammer) so he could use it in his duty holster.

It took me 10 minutes to take it completely apart (to get the hammer out) it took me 3 hours to get it back together

I noticed last week that Colt now makes one of these.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9768 Posts

Posted - April 22 2019 :  07:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks

If it doesn't I don't have any idea what they are talking about since one of our deputies had one early on (it did not have the FLGR) and I took it completely apart to change the hammer (early ones had a commander style hammer) so he could use it in his duty holster.

It took me 10 minutes to take it completely apart (to get the hammer out) it took me 3 hours to get it back together

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9768 Posts

Posted - April 22 2019 :  07:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks

Jim H.

Go to Top of Page

djwarner
Average Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - April 22 2019 :  09:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a PARA LDA new and have never gone beyond field stripping. The gun came with a CD to do this.

At one time PARA offered a course for gunsmiths, but can't remember any that took the course.

YouTube has several videos on disassembly and re-assembly that might aid your local smith.

NON NOBIS TANTUM NATI
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000