Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Colt Combat Commander .45
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 Colt Combat Commander .45
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

montanaman
Advanced Member

1137 Posts

Posted - January 27 2019 :  6:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just today picked up a SS Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP, with the 4 1/4Ē barrel and a Colt rubber grip that resembles the Pachmayer grips of that era.

It doesnít look to have ever been fired, just a visible scratch under the slide stop from heavy handed disassembly.

Iím going to wring it out next weekend, and it may become a companion to the Ruger LCR .327 that Iíve been carrying.

Anybody else here have one?

Paladin didn't need a semi-auto, or a laser sight, and always carried an extra gun.

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1229 Posts

Posted - February 01 2019 :  12:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Satin Nickle Colt Combat Commander 1911/.45ACP that I bought new in 1974. I originally wanted a blue one and the nickel 1911 was the only one left at the Cristobal Gun Club in Panama. The gun was the first 1911 I had, it was a fabulous pistol. I carried it for years, loaded a lot of ammo for it, hot stuff too., finally shot the ejector off it. Eventually the use of Hoppes gun cleaner ate the chrome off the barrel. Of course now it has a SS barrel and new ejector. It still shoots good but spends most of its time in the safe now. I no longer have the callous between my thump and web of my hand that the older 1911 gave you with extensive shooting. That is the pistol that gave me a long time fondness for 1911's which I still carry..Great pistol...Bill

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

USA
177 Posts

Posted - February 03 2019 :  10:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
montanaman & Bill D, congrats to both of you. The Cold Combat Commander was my favorite 1911 .45 ACP that I carried both on and off duty way back when. It was just blue steel, not satin nickel, and it performed flawlessly with anything I fed it. Out of all the semi-autos I've parted with, that was one of the two I missed the most.

Coming in 2nd was the Ruger 'Commander' version in SS. The first was a sale to acquire a different handgun, but that was back about '83. The Ruger SR1911 CMD was just in the past two years when I've had to deal with limited strength, gripping and mobility, from both age and an injury, that doesn't let me work a slide on most shell-chuckers.

I always felt the Combat Commander was one of the best configured .45's anyone could carry and use. I hope you both enjoy them immensely.

'840'

Yes, I, too, have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1229 Posts

Posted - February 13 2019 :  1:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say when I haul that Combat Commander out of the safe it just feels like shaking hands with an old friend. I have a Colt Defender as a carry piece now and even being smaller still has that memory grip. Bought a Ruger Commander size in 9mm, haven't had a chance to shoot it, feels good though. 840 Hope you find something to your liking...Bill D

Bill D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000