Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 43X and 48
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Glocks
 43X and 48
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1943 Posts

Posted - January 25 2019 :  8:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shot both of these this week and really liked them, particularly the 48. I wasn't a big fan of the 43 because the thin frame squirmed around too much in my hand in recoil, but the extended length of the 43X / 48 frame eliminated that for me. These guns are real winners.

The 48 has real potential as a patrol duty gun for officers with small hands. 10+1 rounds in a gun you can control beats 15+1 rounds in a gun with a grip that doesn't fit your hand well. These guns will also be popular with officers in non-patrol assignments.

The commercial market will love them, especially CCW carriers. I could have sold dozens of 48s over the years to female students who found the 19 just a bit too thick. They'll sell like hotcakes.

There's a nice Ameriglo sight option available from the factory.

Mike

stykshooter
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - January 27 2019 :  08:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked up a G-48 this past week and have run about 150 rounds through it so far. The gun really feels good in the hand and is a lot more shootable, especially with stout defensive loads, than my G-43.

The only down side so far is my daughter. Her favorite gun and her defensive pistol has always been a S & W 640 Pro. She's small and has never cared for any of my Glocks. Well, she has fallen in love with this one. Says it fits her hand better than any other pistol she has tried. I imagine I'm gonna have to probably pick up a second one.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1943 Posts

Posted - January 28 2019 :  3:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a great problem to have!
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
624 Posts

Posted - February 07 2019 :  09:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I normally avoid buying new guns the first year they are introduced but broke my own rule when I handed a 43X at the local gun shop. Took it out yesterday and put 250 rounds through it including 50 rounds of Federal 124+P HST. I really like this gun. My normal EDC is a Shield 2.0 with extended mag and thin rubber grip decals on it. Side by side comparison showed them to be almost identical in overall size with the extended mag in the Shield. To me the 43X grips seemed slightly wider: which actually enhanced comfort since I find the Shield grip a little too narrow for me, hence the rubber decals. The Glock needed none of that: in addition the slightly wider backstrap seemed to spread recoil out a bit, especially with the HST load, which is quite snappy in these little guns. Practical accuracy i.e. how well I can shoot it, was better with the Glock than the Shield, which surprised me in that I have shot the Shield a lot more. Despite that the 43X was easier for me to shoot and seemed to get on and back on target faster for me. I shot from 5' to 15 yards and the sights were right on target. Head shots at 15 yards were no problems. Overall, function was flawless and if it continues to be so, once I install the CAP sights I have on order, and find a good holster / spare mag carrier, I think it is going to replace my Shield.
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4715 Posts

Posted - February 07 2019 :  10:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hate to say it, but one of their biggest appeals is they are 10 round guns

10 rounds seems to be the allowable cut off for the gun grabbers, this week anyway

I'm tired of no nothing legislators busily cooking up meaningless gun laws

but they don't seem to be slowing up

maybe a 10 round gun will be off their radar for a while......

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on February 07 2019 10:58:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1943 Posts

Posted - February 08 2019 :  02:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olddog, another advantage over the Shield with an extended mag is that you won’t run the risk of the magazine getting caught up on your hand when it’s ejected. That happens to me sometimes on the guns with short frames and magazine “collars” at the base. Since the 43X has a full length frame that covers the mag, your hand won’t make it hang up as it falls out.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
624 Posts

Posted - February 08 2019 :  07:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ten Driver, you are 100% right! I forgot to mention that issue: also for me, the issue that after you get your hand pinched between that collar and the frame a couple of dozen times, you get pretty leery of slamming home a magazine on a speed reload! I always said I wish that S&W offered a Shield with a full length grip, because I never use the 2 finger grip. The Shield is, for me, a little too big for pocket carry, and if I am going to carry on a belt, IWB or other, I am going to use a full 3 finger grip gun. Now if only I could find some spare magazines! The gun comes with 2 but I would like to have a half dozen to rotate, etc. I am going to go out this weekend and run another 250 or so through it. I put the Ameriglo CAP sights on it last night and today the holster I ordered for it should be delivered, so I can do draw and fire practice. Assuming all is well after that, it will become my new "light" EDC gun.
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3603 Posts

Posted - February 08 2019 :  10:12:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I experienced the same problem with the slide-on grip collar on the Shield extended magazine. I solved the problem by sliding the collar off. The protruding bottom of the collar-less magazine provided a nice pinky rest, gave me a good grip, and the magazine ejected easily.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5503 Posts

Posted - February 08 2019 :  6:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

hate to say it, but one of their biggest appeals is they are 10 round guns

10 rounds seems to be the allowable cut off for the gun grabbers, this week anyway

I'm tired of no nothing legislators busily cooking up meaningless gun laws

but they don't seem to be slowing up

maybe a 10 round gun will be off their radar for a while......

The know nothing legislators seem to be working around the ten round capacity thing by wanting to outlaw any semiautomatic that can "accept" magazines of greater than ten round capacity. That's just about all of them, whether such magazines are currently available or not.

It also applies to tube fed shotguns. Your five round shotgun will be legal only if no magazine extension can be attached.

I'm waiting for them to figure out that DA revolvers can be fired with a single pull of the trigger, just like a semiautomatic.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4715 Posts

Posted - February 08 2019 :  8:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they'll get to it

used to be an "assault rifle" ban, now it's "assault weapon"

they get to decide what a weapon is.

they ain't very smart about guns, but they're learning all the time

they monitor internet websites.......

Edited by - gw on February 08 2019 8:13:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5503 Posts

Posted - February 09 2019 :  07:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

they monitor internet websites.......

So is there a "mooning" emoji for those who might drop in here?

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4715 Posts

Posted - February 09 2019 :  10:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there should be

the left wing kooks are control freaks, they need to seek help, now they're after milk cows!

where's PETA

I like to say things that might tweek them in case they're watching.......

Edited by - gw on February 09 2019 10:26:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000