StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Texas Ranger Sidearm Caliber(s)
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Texas Ranger Sidearm Caliber(s)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frogfoot

USA
865 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  8:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In perusing the internet, I read that the Texas Rangers had adopted the Sig Sauer P320 and noticed that the announcements on quite a few websites were simply copies of the original announcement, which stated (among other things) that the new pistol was available in 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W and .45 ACP without mentioning what specific caliber had been chosen. Any ideas?

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill

RLS

USA
751 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  10:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ten Driver has a thread that may be of help. What he has listed for Texas is the SIG P320 in 9mm.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28348

Rick
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1144 Posts

Posted - January 26 2019 :  07:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In reading Ten Driver's reports on gun/caliber selections by the states' police organizations, it would appear that the .40 S&W caliber still maintains a strong position. Paraphrasing the words of Mark Twain, "it appears that reports of the death of the 40 caliber are greatly exaggerated".
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4784 Posts

Posted - January 26 2019 :  09:05:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's how scientific the selection of a .40 caliper handgun might have been

at the point the decision was being made, around half the troops wanted a high capacity 9mm, the other half wanted a powerful .45

9mm (.36") + .45 = .81 divided by 2 = .40 ( 10mm )

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on January 26 2019 10:00:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Frogfoot

USA
865 Posts

Posted - January 26 2019 :  9:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did they make the switch in 2014? The announcements I've been reading have been from June of last year and I thought that maybe they had very recently switched again.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. - Sir Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1949 Posts

Posted - January 29 2019 :  02:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

After an aborted attempt to go with another make, Texas DPS now issues the SIG P320 in 9mm. The Rangers are a division of DPS, so I presume that their guns are chambered in 9mm.

I know the Rangers have a long history of being rather independent in their weapon selection, so there’s a possibility that they may not be carrying either the 9mm or the 320 at all, but my presumption is that the division follows suite with the other armed divisions, like the Highway Patrol.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5663 Posts

Posted - January 29 2019 :  11:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOM story: Back when I was working for a living, Sarge and I were at the courthouse for a court appearance. In the hallway was a strapping big guy wearing a big Stetson. He struck up a conversation, turned out he was a Texas Ranger. At one point during the conversation, he took the hat off for a moment. On the inside I saw a small pistol in a holster that was fastened above the sweat band. Made me wish we wore big hats, so I could copy the idea. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000