StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Scope for a Lever Action?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 Scope for a Lever Action?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5663 Posts

Posted - January 23 2019 :  10:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scored a little Henry .22 Lever Action recently, planning to use Shorts in it for squirrels and such. When I do my part, it seems to be plenty accurate for the task; but old eyes and iron sights don't combine as well as they useta. I may have to add a scope to get the squirrel-eye accuracy that the gun seems capable of. I know it's an abomination to put a scope on a Lever gun, but it seems lotsa otherwise decent people are doing it nowadays, and I may need to take that little step into the dark side.
Any suggestions on make/models to check out for such a thing? I'd like something compact and aesthetically pleasing on the little gun--don't want it to look like I'm putting mudder tires and a lift kit on a VW Beetlebug car.
Or maybe a compact, 1- or 2-moa red dot? All ideas will be gratefully received. Got a birthday coming up, so maybe Momma could get me something like this, instead of seat covers for the Ranger (which I need worse, probably). Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

JD

USA
113 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  12:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I'd put Leupold 4x compact rimfire on it. That's what my Winchester 9422 wears and I've been completely happy with it, though I wouldn't mind a Leupold 2x-7x compact rimfire scope either...

JD
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1144 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  06:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Marlin levers in .308 Marlin and .35 Remington. Have taken deer with both and both wear scopes. Wouldn't consider not having a scope on any deer rifle.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2416 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  08:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put a Weaver .22 rimfire scope on my 1022 and am happy with it.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5526 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  10:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had a Bushnell 1.5 - 4.5X on my Marlin 39A for over 40 years. It has been perfect for the task. No big front bell on that scope, so it doesn't visually dominate the rifle.

My grandson's 1022 wears a larger Bushnell 1.6 - 6X with an illuminated dot reticle. It's been great, but that rifle's been "sniperized" with a heavy barrel and Hogue over molded stock so the bigger scope fits the overall look.

For the small target pinpoint accuracy most of us want from a .22 rifle, I would definitely go with an illuminated reticle scope over a no magnification red dot.

Leupold scopes are great, but IMHO, probably represent financial overkill for what we need for a .22 rifle's (and this shooter's) capabilities and applications. Doesn't Leupold own Weaver now?

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

BobM77
Advanced Member

USA
1452 Posts

Posted - January 24 2019 :  8:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Leupold Rimfire 2-7 on a Ruger American Rimfire 22 mag. I'd definitely buy another. I used to have a compact 4x, a Simmons I think, on a 9422M. It worked well too but the Leupold clearly has better glass.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9818 Posts

Posted - May 21 2019 :  08:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For decades my default has been Leupold but scopes have gotten better in the last few years and some lines like Vortex might be worth a gander for a .22 - its not like recoil is going to make you lose a zero

An RDS with a 2 minute dot might not be amiss either unless the range is really long.

I'd second the suggestions above for a "rimfire" scope which usually means parallax is set for 50 yards. An adjustable objective would be nice but those are usually too big and heavy.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9818 Posts

Posted - May 21 2019 :  08:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an aside, one of my favorite squirrel rifles (mostly I hunt squirrels with a pistol so that might be a little misleading) is a Winchester youth model 1906 that was actually made in 1907 which has a Marbles tang sight on it.

The thing is super accurate and it quite small, it has a 16" barrel.

My favorite squirrel pistol is a pre-war Colt Woodsman with a 4" heavy barrel (I bought it used and have never seen another one like it) but I've killed fox squirrels at 50 yards with it - on rare occasions, mostly I see squirrels up close.

I have not hunted squirrels with my suppressed Ruger Mk III but one of them does have a Burris RDS on it and it really accurate - I might need to take it out sometime.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000