StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - DA revolver option for essential tremor?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 DA revolver option for essential tremor?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5440 Posts

Posted - January 04 2019 :  09:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I was at the range testing reliability fixes for a couple pocket autopistols. They ran a satisfying 100%, but the fact that I had to tweak some stuff at all is food for serious thought.

My accuracy/reliability 'control' gun was my long time 'go to' S&W 442. I experienced something I've noticed before, but yesterday it seemed more pronounced. The muscle tension needed for the longer DA revolver trigger pull really helps to damp out the age related essential tremor that some days plagues my handgun shooting.

When I shoot an autopistol now, I'd better break the shot as soon as the sights align. If I try to hold the gun stready and refine the sight picture ("admire the sights" as Jerry Miculek says), the tremor sets in. Sometimes I'll throw a shot, not from a bad trigger press, but because I get a twitch just as the shot breaks.

Yesterday, after half an hour of testing the mini autopistols, I switched to the 442 and found the DA trigger much easier to manage. The muscle tension involved in running the longer trigger damps out the tremor nicely. The extra fraction of a second of pull time drags the sights back on target better (for me - YMMV) and gives an extra instant for my eyes to catch up to the action. (I do believe that, at speed, proper eye control - seeing the sights effeciently - is an underapprecieated part of rapid fire technique.)

After five decades I find myself increasingly drifting back to revolvers as the preferred handguns.

Jeff

jle3030

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - January 04 2019 :  11:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, I had to go back to revolvers about 4 years ago. I have diabetic neuropathy in my hands wrist and has gone to my elbows over time. My brain tells my hand to squeeze and the hand does not respond like I would like. I limp-wrist without knowing I do it. I have had some pistols that fail to work because of the limp-wristing, so hence back to a 7 shot revolver, that I pocket carry.

I will say I have found 5 pistols that will work out of my hands. One is the MP 2.0 9C that I am working into my daily carry. At present the M P is my backup. I have 2 Glocks, 1 Sig P229, and a Kahr P 9 that all function also, however the revolver works 100% for me. Incidentally, my revolver is (hold your nose)a Taurus Mdl 617 7 shot 2" brl SS revolver in 38/357 (have 3) which I stock with 357 DPX for now. I have carried this for the past 4 years. Most likely I have about 4000 rounds through them, with no problems with any of the 3. Still tight and fires every time I pull the trigger. Some people had problems with this model as it would bind up when it got hot. Taurus remedied the problem in latter production models.

Jeff I don't feel under gunned, as it holds 1 less than a 1911, if one does not carry with one in the pipe on the 1911 and 8 in the magazine. I have a friend that if he carries with a full mag and one in the pipe his 1911 has had problems "sometimes." Others MMV, and that is all-right with me. Brings to mind that Jim H salvation thing! AS Clint Eastwood said, "One must know his limitations!"

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3547 Posts

Posted - January 04 2019 :  12:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of competitive action pistol revolver shooters have learned that even on 50-yard shots their accuracy is better shooting with a good DA pull, than cocking the hammer for an SA shot.

In fact, most remove the hammer spur from their guns and shoot everything DA. My two competition revolvers, one bedroom gun and a carry snubby, don't have hammer spurs. I've had the opportunity to shoot with the best at World, National, Regional and State Championships, and I can't remember any that fired a shot SA.

The long pull is a continuous motion, while forcing concentration on the sights... rather than a short/light SA pull that encourages 'snatching' the trigger when the sights look perfect. It seems to smoothly-focus the process by removing that 'shoot now!' impulse.

I could see how it could help essential tremor.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4624 Posts

Posted - January 04 2019 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how about a DAO automatic?

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Steve in Michigan

USA
158 Posts

Posted - January 04 2019 :  3:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two Sig P250s in 9mm and for me I still shoot a DA revolver (4") better as in more accurately and maybe more accurately shooting as fast as I dare. I think it is due to the different recoil impulse and maybe the shape of the grip of the revolver.

Of course I have been shooting DA revolvers long before autos.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34448 Posts

Posted - January 04 2019 :  4:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an rather old and fairly worn Taurus blue .357 snub and it has been boringly reliable.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5440 Posts

Posted - January 04 2019 :  8:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

how about a DAO automatic?

Excellent question. For some reason, DA autopistols have just never felt right in my hands. I much prefer short SA triggers and a low bore axis in autoloaders.

OTOH DA revolvers point and feel great to me. But then am I the only one who doesn't fully appreciate the 'natural' feel of SA revolvers? Maybe a Bisley grip shape? But then I already own and treasure Colt and S&W DA revolvers in the same basic calibers as the ColtRuger SA's...

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5577 Posts

Posted - January 06 2019 :  3:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old Ruger P89DC that I did an Ace trigger job on (which mean shoot the [bad word] out of it and it will get smoother]. The DA first-shot, the trigger is as smooth and controllable as any good revolver I've had the pleasure to use. I wish there was a way to convert it to DAO, and keep the smooth trigger, but nobody I've talked to either knows how to convert it, or isn't willing to try. I haven't found a DAO or DAK semiauto pistol with that nice a trigger. But I'll keep looking... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5490 Posts

Posted - January 07 2019 :  08:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, its a shame youre no longer working at that gunshop.

I have no doubt that sooner or later someone would have come in whod be more than happy to help you figure out how to do that DAO conversion on your Ruger...

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

MikeG
Average Member

USA
319 Posts

Posted - January 07 2019 :  10:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, I believe Ruger made a P89 DAO model if you can find one. Then you could do your trigger job on it and have less adapting to do.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5577 Posts

Posted - January 08 2019 :  09:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot about those, Mike, thanks. If I can find one, I'll have to figure a way to justify it.

Bill, I did have one guy tell me to just 'file off that one notch in the hammer.' He didn't know which notch, though. I just smiled and thanked him. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4624 Posts

Posted - January 08 2019 :  10:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only a guess, but I think to do it right you need to convert the slide to the DAO configuration and change the hammer

filling on the DA/SA hammer might convert it from DA/SA to NA ( no cocking action.....)

you'ld likely need a different slide too

the DAO P89 is a slick slide with no safety/ decocker

Ruger might do the conversion, all they'd want is money

wouldn't hurt to ask them

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on January 08 2019 4:51:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
622 Posts

Posted - January 08 2019 :  11:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a ton of the old S&W 3rd Gen DAO semi-automatics out there, my brother had the compact 45XX (No idea what the number was with the profusion of codes for them back in the day) that was really nice: he got rid of it when I was a poor college student and could not afford to buy it or it would be in my safe today. I good friend bought it and still brings it up to rub my face in it from time to time! What else are friends for? :)
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5577 Posts

Posted - January 08 2019 :  1:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I don't think I'll mess with it. Tried Ruger some years ago, the lady I talked to said 'We don't do that'--a direct quote, and kind of a snippy tone of voice. Don't really need it done, just would be nice--sorta like that second piece of apple pie after dinner. IF a really good deal would come up on a DAO version sometime, and if Momma is in the right mood....

I have a couple of those friends who have made good deals off me, and they're not bashful about remembering out loud. Keeps the conversation going, I guess. Ace

Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
838 Posts

Posted - January 08 2019 :  3:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff. it's hard to go wrong with a snubby. I find myself reverting back to them as well.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3547 Posts

Posted - January 08 2019 :  4:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RE: DAO semi-autos... I had a P250 9mm in for a T&E right after they came out. Shot a lot of rounds and carried it EDC for 2 weeks. Loved the trigger! Wish I could get one like in on my competition revolvers.

It didn't fit any of my needs so I returned it (I EDC M&Ps & snubs) but I did love the trigger... light, smooth, and consistent.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

colt357

194 Posts

Posted - January 08 2019 :  10:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RE: DAO Autos:

I have a Beretta 92D Centurion that was a very lightly used LEO trade in. It has one of the best true DAO triggers I have encountered on ANY handgun, either revolver or semiauto. It has a fairly light trigger pull, with zero slack to take up, smooth as glass through the stroke, absolutly no stacking at all, and breaks crisp and clean with no overtravel.

Don't know if it originally came out of the box that way, or if it had been worked over sometime/somewhere prior to its finding its way into my safe. However, I believe my best revolvers are jealous.

Just my own personal experience.

Colt
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5490 Posts

Posted - January 09 2019 :  5:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got an email from Aim Surplus offering LEO-trade-in DAO S&W 6906s for $350.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on January 09 2019 5:30:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9778 Posts

Posted - January 14 2019 :  11:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the son started shooting center-fire (under close supervision) at age 6, I found he shot one of my .38s (with fairly mild loads) better than his Browning 9mm.

That particular gun does have one of the best DA triggers I own on it but it helped him to achieve a surprise break.

He shoots autos just fine now but back then it made a difference.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5577 Posts

Posted - January 14 2019 :  2:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'His' Browning 9mm at age 6---I like that! Ace

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3547 Posts

Posted - January 14 2019 :  4:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Modern technology is great... but when it comes to iron-sighted handguns it has yet to replace a solid sight focus and a surprise break.
That will get the rounds to where they need to be. And, a DA revolver trigger is an aid in that.

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000