Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Surprise Christmas Gift
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Surprise Christmas Gift
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1526 Posts

Posted - December 26 2018 :  08:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Grandson took his first 8 point Buck and doe this year in a food plot he planted on his other grandfather's farm here in Mid TN. He used his father 270. It was a big buck for the area from which he took it. He took a doe last year, up in southern KY, with his family friend who owns 240 acer farm up there. He used his Matthews bow on this one.

I gave my fairly new Weatherby Vanguard 30 06 rifle, with a Redfield Scope mounted on it, to my grandson last evening. Judging from his reaction I think he may have slept with the rifle when he got home last night. He couldn't keep his hands off it. I wanted to give the rifle to someone who would use, and appreciate the gun.

I told him that I had fired 15 rounds through the rifle right after I purchased it, years ago, and it was sighted in at 100 yards with Remington 150 Gr Core-Lock S P ammo. I also gave him 2 boxes of ammo for it. Told him to check it before he went to the field. That rifle has the best trigger on it that I have ever owned.

He asked me a question that I am not sure of the answer so I want to pose it to you guys. He asked me how many rounds can one fire through a big rifle before it wears out? My guess was around 1000 rounds. How far was I off on my guess?

The boy had a good Christmas! One I hope he remembers for a lifetime. I told him if he loved it, and took good care of the rifle, he could give it to his son, if he has one, when he is through with it.

Pop Pop

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6053 Posts

Posted - December 26 2018 :  09:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'I wanted to give the rifle to someone who would use, and appreciate the gun.' Sounds like mission accomplished. Good for you--and him.

My understanding is that, as concerning wearing out the barrel, they tend to wear out faster when really 'hot' loads are used a lot. The action should last essentially forever, if kept clean and rust free. I'd have a hard time imagining a good '06 wearing out before his great-grandkids get to use it.

It really is better to give than to receive, isn't it? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - December 26 2018 :  1:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ďIt really is better to give than to receive, isn't it? AceĒ

I hear what youíre saying, Ace, but Iím thinking Pop Popís grandson might disagree!

But youíre right, itís one if those win-win situatuons: one gets the joy of giving, at the same time the other gets the joy of receiving.

And just as important: the rifle gets to feel truly loved and appreciated too....

(Weatherbyís are very sensitive to things like that, from what Iíve heard...)

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on December 26 2018 2:00:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - December 27 2018 :  3:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is one sound rifle! I like the Vanguard better than the MkV although both are made by Howa.

He is one lucky young man!

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore
Advanced Member

USA
1068 Posts

Posted - December 28 2018 :  10:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The .308 is generally accepted to have a 5000-7000 round accurate barrel life as snipers measure accuracy. Since the 06 burns more powder you might expect less. I read a blog by Boots Obermeyer on his website and he believes (being a barrel maker) that heavy for caliber bullets and slow burning powders increase throat wear. The theory being that the heavy bullet keeps high temperatures in the throat area longer than lighter bullets.

I guess the real answer depends on, as noted above, how careful one is in cleaning and your standard of acceptable accuracy. I recall an article showing the sectioned barrel of an M1 Garand used for accuracy testing at one of the ammunition plants. It was taken out of service at 80,000 rounds and still delivered service acceptable accuracy. IIRC, the rifling was gone for the first 8 inches or so of the barrel.

Plus, as noted above, one can always replace barrels. At least under current law.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2770 Posts

Posted - December 30 2018 :  03:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bolt action isnít really going to wear out, if shot a lot accuracy will degrade.

My understanding is that with a big game caliber even thatís not really an issue for most of us.

A varmint or benchrest Rifle is a different story.

But a big game rifle that goes from 1 or 1.5 MOA to 2 or even 3 MOA will still bring home game from most realistic distances with no problems.

Shooting 3000+ rounds of 30-06, especially if doing so accurately, is some serious work IMHO. Not something most people can do quickly.

Other thing if concerned about Barrel life is not doing rapid fire, a hot barrel wears faster than cold one.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9868 Posts

Posted - January 01 2019 :  1:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WR Moore

The .308 is generally accepted to have a 5000-7000 round accurate barrel life as snipers measure accuracy. Since the 06 burns more powder you might expect less. I read a blog by Boots Obermeyer on his website and he believes (being a barrel maker) that heavy for caliber bullets and slow burning powders increase throat wear. The theory being that the heavy bullet keeps high temperatures in the throat area longer than lighter bullets.

I guess the real answer depends on, as noted above, how careful one is in cleaning and your standard of acceptable accuracy. I recall an article showing the sectioned barrel of an M1 Garand used for accuracy testing at one of the ammunition plants. It was taken out of service at 80,000 rounds and still delivered service acceptable accuracy. IIRC, the rifling was gone for the first 8 inches or so of the barrel.

Plus, as noted above, one can always replace barrels. At least under current law.

I would agree with all of that.

"Accuracy", as you imply, is in the eye of the beholder. To a handful of people in a specific endeavor (either sport shooting or a more serious mission) what is "worn out" might be to some of us "just broken in".

I had a brand new Colt M4 barrel I put in and fired about 200 rounds before taking a class with it - it shot better than expected when I put it in - after the class it was a 2.5 MOA barrel - mainly due to the many drills of firing 90 rounds in less than a minute I think.

At one point I sprayed WD-40 on it (borrowed, I seldom use the stuff myself) and it caught on fire!

So I'd say that was a rather abnormal usage.

OTOH, I once knew a guy who only shot a few rounds from each of his rifles each Saturday and he kept meticulous records. He showed me the record for his Herters .264 Win. Mag. (not an expensive rifle, he normally shot Weatherbys) - the gun had just under 9,000 rounds through the barrel on it and it shot up to his standards (which I admit were not all that demanding).

It may be indeed that the throat was charred but I could not tell it with the naked eye and a flashlight.

To your point, I once bought a sporterized '03a3 Springfield and the bore was dirty and neither the pawn shop owner or I had a cleaning rod handy.

I bought it anyway and upon cleaning I knew I had messed up - there was a ring halfway down the barrel. That was OK since I had 3 brand new barrels in the wrapper in the shop.

But I decided to shoot it as is. I'm glad I did, it turned in a group at 100 yards so good I cut it out and carried it in my badge case until it wore out.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.15seconds. Snitz Forums 2000