StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Never heard of such a thing!
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 Never heard of such a thing!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5490 Posts

Posted - December 19 2018 :  10:54:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be a long one, please bear with me.
Due to circumstances beyond my control, my deer season this year consisted of one short evening hunt, so my enjoyment of the sport has been vicarious--stories and pictures from friends and customers. Also, we have had discussions on 'wisdom' and stupidity that are met with while working in a gun shop. Well, I just had to share this one from today:

Guy came in, browsing for sale items, and the subject of deer season came up. He had a story for me, I'll try to quote him as closely as possible. 'I had something happen I ain't never seen before. I put two slugs from a 8mm Mauser in a doe. Before I could get to her to drag her out, a big buck came outta the brush, picked her up, and carried her off. Then he came back, and challenged me to a fight.'
I looked for a twinkle in his eye, but he was dead serious. I asked him where the buck took her, he said he didn't know. I asked him how the buck carried her away--did he scoop her up on his horns, or grab her by the nape of the neck and carry her like a puppy? (closely quoting him again) 'He picked her up with his antlers. Took her off into the brush. We looked all over the place, and couldn't find her.' (This must have been after the 'fight', but I forgot to ask him about that part.)
I told him this is like some of those internet things--without pictures it didn't happen. He said 'Well, there were two guys out there with a video camera, but they didn't get any pictures of it; they saw it, though, and helped me try to find where the buck hid the doe. They didn't get a chance to shoot the buck.'
I commented that it musta been an awful big buck, to be able to carry off and hide an adult doe so nobody could find her. He said 'Well, it got shot later (showed me a picture on his phone of a buck in the back of a pickup) and when they hung it up to butcher, the tail was this high (holding his hand all the way above his head [he was about 5'10' tall, for reference]), and the head and whole neck was still laying on the ground.'
By this time, I was done being amused, and ready for him to leave, so didn't try to encourage him to keep going. He did finally leave, and this story has been roiling around in my head all evening.
I guess if I get to go hunt the January doe season, I better get myself a bigger gun, in case that buck's brother is still out there.

Thank you for letting me share this; maybe I can go to bed now, and not dream about it. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1104 Posts

Posted - December 20 2018 :  04:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This guy should be entered in the "Tall Tales Contest".
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5366 Posts

Posted - December 20 2018 :  07:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Navy we defined the difference between a 'fairy tale' and a 'sea story'

A fairy tale starts out "Once upon a time".

A sea story starts out "Now this is no [Rule 1 observed]". Alcohol is frequently involved. Sounds as if it may have been in this case too.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

jlwilliams
Average Member

USA
250 Posts

Posted - December 25 2018 :  09:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had he been out picking wild mushrooms?
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5490 Posts

Posted - December 25 2018 :  10:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I was gonna 'profile' him, he looked like the type.
He hasn't come back, so haven't gotten a chance to ask him how he avoided the fight with the buck. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000