StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Ruger PC9 vs Cx4 Storm?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Ruger PC9 vs Cx4 Storm?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2770 Posts

Posted - December 16 2018 :  10:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wondering about pros & cons of these 9mm carbines.

Other than obvious Ruger is takedown, & the Glock vs Beretta 92 mags.

I havenít handled either yet, but might get chance week before Christmas.

Was wondering if the Cx4 might be bit more durable and easier to field strip since, according to Wikipedia, itís used by a few military & police organizations.

gw
Advanced Member

4794 Posts

Posted - December 17 2018 :  10:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only tried the Ruger

pros

it's cheap to shoot in 9mm
it takes down
in this state I can't carry a loaded rifle, but I can carry a Glock handgun and loaded magazines for both on a permit
using Glock magazines is big, they are cheap and do actually grow on trees around here....

cons

this thing is too heavy for what it is
the zero shifted after takedown and reassembly. that was with the barrel mounted sights, I wonder about a receiver mounted optic ( this was a sample of one by the way)

in the end it seemed accurate and reliable. probably will sell a bunch to police that want a politically correct carbine, I think that's the real audience after all.

but for me it's too heavy and clumsy, I passed.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3860 Posts

Posted - December 17 2018 :  3:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran a T&E article on one for the NRA. I liked it enough to buy it. Been shooting it in Steel Challenge for several thousand rounds. No problems. I have only used a receiver mounted reflex sight so far, but I made A Class with it.

I will be shooting it with the irons for the next few months. We'll see how that goes.

To me, it's more than accurate enough, totally reliable, and very comfortable to use since it's almost identical to my Ruger 10/22 rifle.
Just my 2c.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3860 Posts

Posted - December 25 2018 :  3:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

only tried the Ruger

pros

it's cheap to shoot in 9mm
it takes down
in this state I can't carry a loaded rifle, but I can carry a Glock handgun and loaded magazines for both on a permit
using Glock magazines is big, they are cheap and do actually grow on trees around here....

cons

this thing is too heavy for what it is
the zero shifted after takedown and reassembly. that was with the barrel mounted sights, I wonder about a receiver mounted optic ( this was a sample of one by the way)

in the end it seemed accurate and reliable. probably will sell a bunch to police that want a politically correct carbine, I think that's the real audience after all.

but for me it's too heavy and clumsy, I passed.

In thinking about this, I have to wonder how the iron sights could shift POI after removing and re-installing the barrel.

The sights are on the barrel assembly that includes the barrel and chamber. That is the part removed. If the iron sights are zeroed... how do they shift? They are locked to the barrel/chamber axis.... nothing involved in barrel/chamber/sights/moves!

I've removed my PC 9 barrel many times for cleaning... with a reflex sight mounted on the receiver... and have seen no POI shift. And... that has two separate parts. How does a single part... zeroed in... change zero?

What testing was done on this? In my experience, a single barrel/sight system can't move.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
6053 Posts

Posted - December 25 2018 :  4:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not the PC9, but everybody I've talked to who use the 1022 Takedown tell me they hold zero, both with optics and the irons. I'd expect the 9 to do the same. When I first go introduced to the 1022T, that was my first thought--do they stay sighted? Seems they do. Seems Ruger designed it right.
Wouldn't mind having the 9 to test it myself, though... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3860 Posts

Posted - December 26 2018 :  07:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Not the PC9, but everybody I've talked to who use the 1022 Takedown tell me they hold zero, both with optics and the irons. I'd expect the 9 to do the same. When I first go introduced to the 1022T, that was my first thought--do they stay sighted? Seems they do. Seems Ruger designed it right.
Wouldn't mind having the 9 to test it myself, though... Ace

+1 I have a Take Down Lite 10/22... reflex sight... many thousand rounds in Steel Challenge (A Class). The POI doesn't shift on it...nor does my PC 9.

Chris Christian

Edited by - Chris Christian on December 26 2018 07:43:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1201 Posts

Posted - December 26 2018 :  07:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shift in POI with a single barrel rifle can only be explained by some infinitesimally small play in the assembly mechanics. I have bedded several hunting rifles (bolt action) and when taking down from the stock and reassembly, minute changes in bedding screws torque can result in minor changes in POI @ 100 yds. I am unfamiliar with the guns you are talking about, but mounting screws, if any, by way of torque changes, can change barrel harmonics which can change POI. Believe it or not, a bullet racing down the bbl sets up harmonic vibrations similar to that of water going through a hose whose end isn't secured. These harmonic vibrations of the bbl change POI depending on when the bullet exits the bbl. Granted, these harmonic vibrations are microscopically small compared to a water hose.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3860 Posts

Posted - December 26 2018 :  11:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gauchobill

Shift in POI with a single barrel rifle can only be explained by some infinitesimally small play in the assembly mechanics. I have bedded several hunting rifles (bolt action) and when taking down from the stock and reassembly, minute changes in bedding screws torque can result in minor changes in POI @ 100 yds. I am unfamiliar with the guns you are talking about, but mounting screws, if any, by way of torque changes, can change barrel harmonics which can change POI. Believe it or not, a bullet racing down the bbl sets up harmonic vibrations similar to that of water going through a hose whose end isn't secured. These harmonic vibrations of the bbl change POI depending on when the bullet exits the bbl. Granted, these harmonic vibrations are microscopically small compared to a water hose.

I'm familiar with POI shifts due to a change in stock/barrel pressure. This is especially true with two-piece stocks when a tight sling is applied with downward pressure on the forearm. With one-piece stocks it can certainly happen if the tension on the bedding screws, or the forend tip, pressure is changed. And, sometimes with heavy sling pressure, as well.

But it really doesn't apply to the two take down Rugers mentioned here. The barrels ride in a forearm 'sleeve' that provides a constant, factory set tension. There is virtually no change at any pressure point on the barrel. And, even if there was, at the under-100 yard ranges these guns are used at, the POI change would be virtually unnoticeable.

Even a slight change in the take-down adjustment screw pressure wouldn't affect the iron sights on the PC 9, because that pressure is behind the bullet/barrel and plays no role.

I still have to wonder how GW got a POI shift with the PC 9 iron sights. It makes no sense

Chris Christian

Edited by - Chris Christian on December 26 2018 11:59:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2770 Posts

Posted - December 30 2018 :  03:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies.

Didnít get to any gun shops yet.

We test drove a bunch of cars instead over a few days.

We are really liking the Accord Touring Hybrid, think it would compliment the Honda Pilot we have.

It be nice to get ~50 mpg and bit softer ride when we didnít need the bigger Pilot.
Go to Top of Page

ironhead7544

USA
57 Posts

Posted - January 29 2019 :  07:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with either one. Match up to your pistol.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000