Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - RIA 1911 38 Super
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 RIA 1911 38 Super
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Olddog84

USA
615 Posts

Posted - November 05 2018 :  10:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I found a good deal on a Rock Island 1911 in 38 Super and pulled the trigger, so to speak. I must say I am impressed by the quality. The nickel plating is great and it feels tight but the slide glides perfectly. It is the base model with old standard "bump on a log" sigts, 1911A1 style grip safety and manual safety, etc. The only non-standard thing I can see is a ramped barrel. This is my first 38 Super, enjoying hand-loading for it. Anyone else have experience with the Rock Island?
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1187 Posts

Posted - November 06 2018 :  2:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few, full size and a compact model. So far they have been good guns, no problems. Mine are all 45acp. I did change the firing pin to titanium and Wolf spring. This makes it pass all drop tests. You can look on the various 1911 nets and understand what to do. The cost is low and you can do it yourself, easy to do. Bill D

Bill D

Edited by - Bill D on November 06 2018 2:31:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
615 Posts

Posted - November 07 2018 :  08:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, thanks for the idea, that is a great tip. No problem doing that myself. Got them on order!
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9722 Posts

Posted - November 09 2018 :  08:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tend to shy away from cheap copies but I have to admit I've seen quite a few RIA 1911s (full size) in classes that shot around 1000 rounds per class.

Never seen one choke and never seen one break.

I do have one; a double stack .22 TCM but I have not shot it that much. It has a 9mm barrel and spring and magazine but I've never even fired that.

The TCM is sort of interesting (not for self defense mind you) it gets the same speed from a 5" handgun that the 5.7 FN gets from a 16" carbine.

I'm just not sure what it is for

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5426 Posts

Posted - November 09 2018 :  5:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We sold several of the TCM model when they were first available. Seems to be an OK cartridge, been told it works good on coyote-size critters. Like the 5.7, it seems to be a glorified .22Magnum, with a little more glory.
Haven't gotten to shoot one yet (TCM), but I do like the feel of it, even with the fat grip. My thought would be have it in the truck, for coyotes and badgers and such, when we're driving around the western part of the state; then if anybody wants to go to town for supper or something, switch the barrels and have a social gun for contingencies.

In the FWIW column, we seem to have no problem selling RIA .45's, to some customers who want an inexpensive defense pistol, to some others who plan to build a custom pistol. So far, everybody seems to be happy with the quality. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000