StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Remington rolling blocks?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Remington rolling blocks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2702 Posts

Posted - October 16 2018 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wondering at what kind of prices, and in what calibers, basic shooting grade rolling blocks are available in?

Iíve long liked military type single shots, but havenít got one yet.

Have buddy that has a rolling block in 43 Spanish IIRC but havenít been able to go to range with him in a long time.

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9722 Posts

Posted - October 16 2018 :  5:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coincidentally, I just saw one at Antique and Modern Firearms in Lexington, KY today in .43 Spanish.

it was in pretty good shape for a 100 year old gun and the rifling looked to be VG. They wanted $395 for it.

The had a "baby" Rolling block in .22 rimfire but the bore was not nearly as good (as most .22s that old are due to the round being black powder).

As an aside they had not one but 4 Browning Sweet 16s - the best was in VG condition with about 90% blue and was $550 (that seems an outstanding price!) the others were more faded but one was actually not a Sweet Sixteen but rather a 1929 auto 5 in 16 gauge - all the others were $450.

That had a couple of trap door 45-70s with fair bores for ~600.

They have a website if you want to look it up.

They have an outstanding crew and concentrate on the older guns.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2702 Posts

Posted - October 16 2018 :  6:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1683 Posts

Posted - October 17 2018 :  07:32:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dov, Simpson LTD has a bunch mostly HUSQVARNA. Price are all over the map. Reproductions made in Italy around $1000 mostly 45-70's. Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
653 Posts

Posted - October 17 2018 :  07:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a Remington Rolling Block in 1988 that had been poorly rebarreled to .22-250. Such big plans I had! Some sort of buffalo rifle was the main thought. I pulled that barrel and the stock made from about half a tree...and thatís how far Iíve got in 30 years.

There are at least five basic Rolling Block versions sized for appropriate cartridges, and countless variations of those. Some have a manual sliding extractor and some have an ďrotaryĒ extractor that works when opening the breechblock.

Mine is a No.5, also called the M1902, which if I remember correct is more or less the No. 1 (big) action redesigned for smokeless powder. They seem to be one of the more common variations. Most of those were made in 7x57mm for military contracts in South America, and mine was likely one of these. I have seen quite a few Remingtons for sale in long-obsolete rimfire chamberings. Some in .22, but all those Iíve seen had sewer pipes for bores. One original Rolling Block I always thought was kind of neat was a smaller sized action used to make a handy looking little .44-40.

A few years ago I bought an ex-military 7x57mm barrel with a reasonably decent bore. If I were to finish this project any time soon, Iíd use that barrel and get some wood that was semi-military style and make it look like a sporterized military one.

Or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!
Go to Top of Page

jlwilliams

USA
246 Posts

Posted - October 18 2018 :  8:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prices are all over the map with 43 Spanish variants being on the low end. Price of dies and components are ridiculous. I've seen original guns in shootable shape between $500 and $1500 in the last year. You can also get a modern repro. They are pretty good and can be had in 22 to 45-70 and many options in between.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2702 Posts

Posted - October 18 2018 :  8:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone

I donít handliad much so not sure about 43 Spanish for myself.

Think my first choices for calibers would probably be 7x57 & 30-40 Krag.

Iíd like to get a Martini in 303 eventually as well and either a Sharps or Trapdoor in 45-70.
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
653 Posts

Posted - October 19 2018 :  07:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martinis are neat. Trapdoors are, too. Trapdoors look simple as a rock, but once you study one, youíll see there is more detail and thought than first appears.

Or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000