Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - flash hidders
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 flash hidders
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russ Larges

USA
2346 Posts

Posted - October 09 2018 :  6:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets talk about them. I have a flash can on my ar pistol which I think is needed, but my carbine is a S&W sport and is one of the models made for, I am told, Maryland and does not have a flash hider or adjustable butt stock. It also does not have a forward assist or dust cover, all of which I can get along without just fine. I see no real reason for a flash hider on a hunting or plinking gun, correct me if I am wrong. The forward assist is just another way to really jam up the gun in my way of thinking. The adjustable stock would be nice for me as I like shorter stocks and that I wish I had, but I am doing just fine the way it is. I suppose that recoil is a factor in a comp gun and muzzle rise is there too, still 5.56 is not a heavy recoiling round.
I am open to being convinced I am wrong, but it will not be easy.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

gw
Advanced Member

4492 Posts

Posted - October 09 2018 :  7:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're right on the forward assist, just a way to make your weapon completely inop

spent years in the Army trying to teach troops not to use it

I like the adjustable stock or a fixed short stock, an A1 stock is good

flash hider no, dust cover maybe.

the dust cover is good for folks trained to use it, most civilians ain't...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
930 Posts

Posted - October 10 2018 :  3:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're hunting varmints at dusk or night the flash hider might be of some help. I still have vivid memories of a shot a fired at a groundhog with a rifle without a comp/hider-the muzzle accidentally extended out over a manure pile. I'm not sure a muzzle device would have changed the result and I'm not gonna experiment. I expect there's some way to 'unfix' the butt stock should you so desire. If all else fails, cut the current butt piece off and replace it with an adjustable one.

Beware the politically obsessed. They are often bright and interesting, but they have something missing in their natures, there is a hole, an empty place and they use politics to fill it up. It leaves them somehow misshapen. Peggy Noonan

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9737 Posts

Posted - October 10 2018 :  3:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree with GW, I don't mind the F.A. quite as much as some but it surely is a way to turn a stoppage into a hopeless malfunction that requires heroic effort to clear.

I would not worry a bit if a rifle did not have one.

commercial 223 sometimes has quite a bit of flash and a hider might mitigate that.

I don't think that light a caliber needs a comp and a comp directs some of that muzzle blast back to the shooter, which is not helpful.

On larger calibers it is sort of up to the shooter but the more powder it is pushing the more uncomfortable the blast is going to be.

5.56 is also pretty uncomfortable inside a house - I've taken to leaving a set of electronic ear pro by the bed though I do not use a .223 / 5.56 for self defense.

I use 12 ga, .308 and sometimes .300 Blackout; the first two are pretty noisy. I also have, and will again, use .30 Carbine.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4492 Posts

Posted - October 10 2018 :  5:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alot of theories on what a flash suppressor is for, a good one is to preserve night vision, a flash in the dark and night vision is gone, I could never see in the dark anyway.

I have a compensator on on one rifle, it was bought during the Clinton ban, it's fixed which made it legal during that stupid period in history. doesn't seem to do much, but it's a pain to get off so it stays.

got a couple with gi A2 style hidders, guess they do something, not sure what

got one last one with nothing, seems about like the rest to me.

a sound suppressor is another story!

got a compensator on a 30-06, that does help recoil, same with the ported barrel on my .444.

the real reason I put flash suppresors on ARs, iit drives liberals crazy.....

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5452 Posts

Posted - October 10 2018 :  7:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we all know how much more deadly those things on the end of the barrel makes the gun---that and the shoulder thingies that fold down. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

ironhead7544

USA
53 Posts

Posted - October 13 2018 :  08:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The forward assist was never meant to jam a round in the chamber. It was meant to reseat the round in the chamber after pulling the bolt back some to release any water in the barrel.
Go to Top of Page

Dr.G
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - November 27 2018 :  11:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since 80% of self defense shootings take place in low light conditions, a flash hider on any AR makes sense. It is an absolute must on an AR pistol, if it is intended to be used in a self defense scenario.
As I understand it, a flash hider is supposed to dull the flash so as to not completely ruin the night vision of the shooter, as well making your position harder to detect for your adversaries. I saw a film of an AK Pistol being shot at 300 yds.,where any precision shooter could have easily honed in on the flash.

The forward assist on an AR was included, because after doing a chamber check, you need to ensure that the bolt is in battery, If it is 1/8 in. out of battery, the gun won't fire. Performing a chamber check should be a part of any routine rifle handling skills. I would not own an AR, of any type, without a forward assist.

Nobody ever wished they had a smaller gun, with fewer bullets, in a gunfight...author unknown
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4492 Posts

Posted - November 28 2018 :  09:10:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eugene Stoner did not include the forward assist on the original design

Eugene Stoner stated that after many types of testing programs, “I never saw an instance where it would have done any good … under sand and mud and every type of firing conditions in the world.” He also stated, “… when you get a cartridge that won’t seat in a rifle and you deliberately drive it in (to the chamber), usually you are buying yourself more trouble.”

finger pressure on the bolt is all that is needed to seat the bolt, if that fails tap rack.

a press check can be used to check the rifles condition, but there is an alternate preferred technigue

I never trained or was trained to ease the bolt back to "let water out of the barrel", quite the opposite, was trained to minimize noise.

the FA was trained to be used as part of the immediate action drill, SPORTS, I've pulled many rifles off the line with bent rounds jammed in the rifle due to it's use

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000