StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Bullet Creep.
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Bullet Creep.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heavyweight

USA
826 Posts

Posted - August 09 2018 :  12:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone actually experienced it? If so, please elaborate.

gw
Advanced Member

4469 Posts

Posted - August 09 2018 :  2:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure have, with factory ammo and handloads

for me always with lightweight revolvers and lead/cast bullets

the recoil of the gun acts like an inertia bullet puller, firing the gun actually causes the bullet to creep forward and out of the case

in extreme cases the bullet nose potrudes out the face of the cylinder preventing the cylinder from rotating

cure is to push the bullet back into the cylinder and remove or fire that round

big culprits for me are lightweight j-frames with factory 158gr LSWCHP +p

and a .44 magnum mountain gun with a cast bullet handload

never had an issue with jacketed bullets

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3395 Posts

Posted - August 09 2018 :  3:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GW's comments mirror my own experience, and anecdotal reports. Crimp is a major factor. If the round isn't securely crimped into the case, a light gun with vigorous recoil can act like a bullet puller tool.

The bullet then 'prairie dogs' forward and locks up the gun. I haven't seen, or heard of it, with semi-autos. Just revolvers.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
826 Posts

Posted - August 09 2018 :  4:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone actually had the cylinder lock up or otherwise make the gun inoperable?
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4469 Posts

Posted - August 09 2018 :  5:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, if a bullet moves forward far enough the bullet sticks out the front of the cylinder, you would not be able to rotate the cylinder to cock the gun until that obstruction is removed.

I've had the cylinder "lock up " in a couple rounds.

are you having a problem?

Go to Top of Page

Pat Taylor

USA
54 Posts

Posted - August 09 2018 :  7:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes , 442 Smith

Purchased it new and it locked up with the first cylinder of ammo I shot (tried to shoot)through it. My 2nd carry is not a j frame.

It was cheap ammo and I would hope good ammo intended for carry would be different. It just gave a bad first impression with a new pistol.

Edited by - Pat Taylor on August 09 2018 8:00:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
951 Posts

Posted - August 10 2018 :  12:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have fired 1,000s of rounds of name brand(American) ammo and never had a bad experience with creep. Only a few were reloads.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3395 Posts

Posted - August 10 2018 :  12:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pat Taylor

Yes , 442 Smith

Purchased it new and it locked up with the first cylinder of ammo I shot (tried to shoot)through it. My 2nd carry is not a j frame.

It was cheap ammo and I would hope good ammo intended for carry would be different. It just gave a bad first impression with a new pistol.

That is an ammo issue. Not a gun issue. The 442 is a pretty good gun.
IRCC (I think Mas Ayoob shared this with me) NYPD was having problems with their .38 snubbies ... using lead 158 grain+P ammo... doing the 'prairie dog' thing. That's why they asked Speer to develop what became the Lawman 135-grain .38 Gold Dot +P load they now use for their personnel that still carry .38 snubbies.

NYPD seems happy with that load.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
826 Posts

Posted - August 10 2018 :  12:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

yes, if a bullet moves forward far enough the bullet sticks out the front of the cylinder, you would not be able to rotate the cylinder to cock the gun until that obstruction is removed.

No, I haven't had a problem. I carry my LCR with the first 2 rounds as Buffalo Bore 110 gr.+P SCHP. Their OAL is pretty long. The last 3 rounds are Federal HST. I'm impressed with the ballistics of the BB. I didn't think that discharging 1 round of the BB would cause any creep of the 2nd round. Creep in the HST is a non-issue.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3395 Posts

Posted - August 10 2018 :  1:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're not having a problem... take Yes for an answer. If it's not broke, why try to fix it?

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

ironhead7544

USA
53 Posts

Posted - August 11 2018 :  06:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of years ago, I bought a box of 38 Special +P 158 gr LHPs made by a major company. It is my habit to check all rounds in each chamber if the ammo is used for carry. I found that the bell was still in the case and they would not enter the chambers. Fixed them with a Lee Factory Crimp die. Tested the velocity and they were OK at 905 fps from a 4 inch S&W M12. No creep detected. If the bell had been a little smaller, they might have chambered and would have quite possibly creeped.

Check your revolver cartridges for a good crimp.

For my lead alloy revolver handloads, I like a deep crimp groove. Elmer Keith's original designs have a tapered bottom and these are my favorites.

If you are going to load full power ammo for serious purposes, use new brass. And then check for creep.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4469 Posts

Posted - August 11 2018 :  10:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heavyweight

quote:
Originally posted by gw

No, I haven't had a problem. I carry my LCR with the first 2 rounds as Buffalo Bore 110 gr.+P SCHP. Their OAL is pretty long. The last 3 rounds are Federal HST. I'm impressed with the ballistics of the BB. I didn't think that discharging 1 round of the BB would cause any creep of the 2nd round. Creep in the HST is a non-issue.

put a round of that BB in the number 5 hole and fire 4 rounds of a heavy .38 load in front of it, then check the overall length of that unfired 5th round.

if you can get through a few 4 round cylinders worth you should start to get a good feeling about the BB round jumping the crimp.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000