Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - backyard fun
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 backyard fun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Russ Larges

USA
2278 Posts

Posted - July 19 2018 :  8:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a chance to pick up five bricks of .22s pretty cheep a while beck. Prior to that I had been very careful how I used my small stash. Now I could shoot some so I picked up one of those round balls you chase around on the ground. I headed to the backyard with my 1022 and couple boxes of ammo. I have a lawn chair set in the shade and I plopped down after tossing the ball out as far as I could. Now the fun part popping that ball is \a ball\ it is easy to burn a box up. I also have a 6" clanger hung about 70 yds out and it is in some danger too.
This may be the ultimate to enjoy the evening.

Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

ajt
Average Member

USA
274 Posts

Posted - July 20 2018 :  12:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so jealous/envious of those who can go out the back door and they are on their range! I suppose that I could do that, but it would be very short lived, as would my freedom! As a child I used to be able to do that at my parents' home, shooting out the pantry door when it was raining.
Growing up in the coal country of Pennsylvania there were also numerous abandoned strip mines where we could go and shoot, one of which was (allegedly) over 500 yards long for distance shooting and some one had hung a 'gong' from the far wall. Several had shooting benches that the locals had set up and a couple had very high walls and were filled with water - we used to throw cans in and then try to sink them. The last time that I was out there I found that they had all been filled in, and we were unable to locate any of the old 'shooting ranges'. Paved roads and houses where a lot of the old dirt roads and the woods that we used to roam used to be. We baled hay and picked bushels and bushels of elderberries in the summers to buy .22 ammo.
Guess my age is showing.
Enjoy Russ!! I wish that I could join you, as I am sure, do many others!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5317 Posts

Posted - July 20 2018 :  7:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The latest pig hunt, I took one of those balls and a .22 along to fill in time between hunts. Didn't even get the .22 out of the truck, nobody else remembered to bring theirs; but the ball was a smash hit with a Lab pup one of the guides brought around. He had so much fun with it, I ended up leaving it for him; told his owner it was the dog's tip for providing entertainment and fellowship.

Never thought I'd reach the age where I'd tell kids 'I useta bale hay right there where that shopping center is.' But I did, and I do, and the kids aren't any more impressed than I was when the old guys would tell me that stuff. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1405 Posts

Posted - July 21 2018 :  11:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I used to bale hay, but it probably won't ever get paved over in my lifetime or for that matter my grandkids lifetime. Our farm is in an area that is ether farm, orchard or vineyard. The Farms are being taken over by orchard or vineyards. The city I grew up in was 3 miles from our farm we rode bikes out to the farm, when I graduated from high school was 3700,when we came back when my parents passed about 20 years later it had increased to 3900. Currently 40 years later it has gained up to 4900. I jealous that my brother who moved out to our farm on a manufactured home after our parents passed can walk about 50 feet and shoot. He could do it out his door but it faces the road. Currently I can drive 45 minutes North and go to a 200 yard range that is very good or drive the same 45 minutes and go out into the west desert where you can drive for miles and not see anything. What I miss is hunting rats at the town dump with spot lights.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.07seconds. Snitz Forums 2000