Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - The Perfect Handgun
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 The Perfect Handgun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Olddog84

USA
628 Posts

Posted - July 31 2018 :  07:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing quite feels as good in my hand as my slightly customized 1911. That being said, I don't carry it because it is too heavy and hard on my back. Of the Polymer guns the Glock 32/19 with the finger grooves ground off fits and points great for me, as does the 1.0 M&P full size with Medium grip insert, mine is in 40. Personal favorite, a 4" N-frame with the right grips.
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4784 Posts

Posted - July 31 2018 :  09:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
depends on the mission I think

the reason I have a hard time getting the gun safe door shut, the thing is stuffed with different guns for different jobs.

as a CCW day to day fighting gun, it's hard to beat the high capacity 9mm polymere guns, that means Glock to me but there are many like it.

I don't handgun hunt much anymore, when I did a long barreled wheel gun seemed ideal, usually a .44 magnum. I still got a few in the safe, all are S&W N- frames but there used to be a bunch of Ruger single actions. If I was doing it over they'd have all been .45 Colts

lately I spend time in black bear country, areas that have had several bear attacks over the years. I've tried a few, but keep coming back to a large bore S&W N frame 4 inch belt gun. a little heavy for my old back, but a good compromise of power vs weight.

I guess I've never found the perfect handgun after all.......

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Mjolnir

USA
189 Posts

Posted - August 08 2018 :  03:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Mjolnir an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Jim mentioned the Colt Woodsman. I was almost a teenager (12) when I fired my first gun ever - a Colt Woodsman. Just the mention of that sweet pistol is deeply moving to me.

"None who have always been free can understand the
terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
to those who are not free."
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1949 Posts

Posted - August 08 2018 :  1:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't found the perfect handgun yet. Even the ones I like a lot have some kind of imperfection or weakness that keep them from making me 100% satisfied. The search continues . . . and I enjoy it!
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3642 Posts

Posted - August 08 2018 :  2:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO, the 'perfect handgun' is the one that suits the endeavor that you're using it for... or need it for... at the moment.

My first (at age 16) was a Ruger Single Six Convertible. I could afford the gun with my paper route and car washing money... and even some .22LR... although the .22 Magnums required some 'saving up'.

It was the 'perfect handgun' for me at the time because it taught me the basics of shooting a handgun... much to the dismay of the local ground squirrel and jackrabbit population that infested my rural Northern California stomping ground.

Living in FL now, we don't have any of those critters, so the Single Six... although remembered fondly from a half-century ago... doesn't take a current place in my collection.

Circumstances change... and so does the perfect handgun.

I think it comes under the heading of "What have you done for me lately?"

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
656 Posts

Posted - August 31 2018 :  11:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Browning HiPower. The grip feels wonderful with the proper stocks. The slide is shaped for easy, comfortable carry. Weight is enough to absorb some recoil without being heavy. Balance is great.

1911, and the steel frame Commanders feel the best to me.

Revolvers- K Frane S&W

Or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9819 Posts

Posted - September 01 2018 :  08:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barry in IN

Browning HiPower. The grip feels wonderful with the proper stocks. The slide is shaped for easy, comfortable carry. Weight is enough to absorb some recoil without being heavy. Balance is great.

1911, and the steel frame Commanders feel the best to me.

Revolvers- K Frane S&W

I certainly have to agree Barry. With the standard factory wood I've been sort of unenthusiastic about the Browning but several stocks easily change that. I bought a Parkerized Mk III that had been an Israeli issue gun (it was marked Browning) that had wood stocks and a lanyard ring.

I started sanding on the stocks and ended up with perhaps one of the best feeling handguns I own.

A round butt K-frame also comes in there as one of the best - and with good stocks I even like a square butt. I have a couple N-frames with thin stocks that aren't bad either.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4784 Posts

Posted - September 01 2018 :  09:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking at an older Belgiun Hi-Power the other day, unfired still in the box.

slide to frame fit was smooth like it was riding on ball bearings

I've owned a few Brownings, never felt one so well fitted.

really makes you want to carry something that nicely fitted

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9819 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  09:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen GW!

I do realize that there are some guns that are produced today that are reliable, and more than adequately accurate and even "shootable".

But there is something to be said for craftsmanship!

I snagged a commercial P-35 a few years ago that was made around 1936 or 7 (not a Nazi, I have one of those as well). Its action is smooth as butter.

I have a 1939 Colt N.M. that is the same way.

Boy could those old boys turn out a handgun!

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
656 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  4:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are making me cry.

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2416 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  4:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, one of the best woods walking guns I have is the LCRx 3". It is light, has a very good double action trigger along with adj. sights and a good feeling grip. It handles +p very well and spits out wadcutters like a pro. While I would not call this a perfect handgun it is very close for what I want in one.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2416 Posts

Posted - September 02 2018 :  4:49:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, one of the best woods walking guns I have is the LCRx 3". It is light, has a very good double action trigger along with adj. sights and a good feeling grip. It handles +p very well and spits out wadcutters like a pro. While I would not call this a perfect handgun it is very close for what I want in one.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Mjolnir

USA
189 Posts

Posted - September 27 2018 :  01:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Mjolnir an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
There's a Ruger P95 that I still half-own (it's been at my son's house for years, but I never gave up calling it mine). Except for the DA trigger pull, it was a great gun. It seemed to weld into my hand, and the best group I ever shot (center target even!) at 25 yds was with that gun. But I haven't shot it for years, so maybe the pistols I like now would change my mind about how good it was for me.

"None who have always been free can understand the
terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
to those who are not free."
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2337 Posts

Posted - September 27 2018 :  11:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steyr S9 for me - not perfect, but pretty darn good.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
656 Posts

Posted - October 01 2018 :  01:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíd like to shoot one of those Steyrs someday. I do seem to like most things they make.

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5663 Posts

Posted - October 01 2018 :  09:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After considering the premise of the subject here, I've decided the 'perfect handgun' is the one I want next. At this time, it's the 5" GP100 .44. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - October 01 2018 :  10:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect!

Perfection: always just one gun away....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
211 Posts

Posted - November 18 2018 :  10:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carried Legally every day since 1976. Since the late 80s I have ascribed to the "Marshall Theory", Always 2. There have been many 2s. Recently, this year, I have settled on 2 G43s with 2 round mag ext. I have no guns that I shoot Better inside 10 yards. Currently my "Best". Also, it helps that I shoot Every Day.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
211 Posts

Posted - February 23 2019 :  10:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EDC-2 G43s are my "personal salvation"
Inside the Gates- 3 1/2 inch Colt SAA or 3 1/2 inch S&W Triplelock or 3 1/2 inch S&W .357 Hand Ejector [pre 27]. I never feel under gunned.
For Shear Joy-Any of Many Colt 1911s.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

pochis

USA
85 Posts

Posted - April 17 2019 :  12:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i think of perfect for me it is protecting myself from bad things that happen. for me thats personal defense and for that i keep m&p 2.0c in 9mm, there are bigger but this works but with that being said if you were in bear country there would be better choices.
Go to Top of Page

Rexster

USA
98 Posts

Posted - May 02 2019 :  10:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Rexster an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes; a well-built Ruger GP100, with the original-style, pre-Hogue OEM grip, is my exemplar for a perfect handgun. It is as if the GP100 was designed by my long-lost twin, from whom I was separated at birth. Not all of them have perfect trigger actions, but that can be remedied.

I bought my first GP100, 4Ē with full lug and adjustable sights, about 1990. It served as an interim duty handgun, for a while, until I switched to a lighter-weight K-Frame duty rig. (The Safariland 070 holster for the Python/GP100 contained so much dense polymer-like plastic that it outweighed the K-Frame-fit 070 by an amazing amount, so the relief was considerable.)

That GP100 was my duty sixgun the night I had to use it in what Mas Ayoob calls The Gravest Extreme. One disturbed man did not walk away from that one. This event did not make the GP100 any more perfect, in my eyes, but it validated my belief in the GP100.

PD rules disallowed patrol rifles until 2002, so my GP100, or one of its later-acquired variants, remained a part of my duty gear kit, toted in a Safepacker or gear bag, after I switched to autoloaders on the duty belt. Several felons had the opportunity to look into the bores of these Ruger .357 sixguns, while the auto remained in the duty holster. Why? Well, my accuracy potential with a GP100, or a K/L-Frame, has not been equaled, to this day, by any other handgun. On a good day, I can shoot several autos as well as a GP100 or K/L-Frame, but on a bad day, I shoot a good DA revolver better than any other handgun. I reckon that a gunfight may well happen on a bad day. Plus, I am functionally ambidextrous with most handguns, but more so with a GP100.

A GP100 is not the easiest weapon to conceal, on my person, especially here, in the humid, green eastern edge of Texas, so I will concede that I not always carry the Perfect Handgun. There are other revolvers and autos that are sufficiently good enough.

Have Colts, will travel
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva
Average Member

USA
269 Posts

Posted - May 07 2019 :  3:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rexster, a couple of years ago an armored truck that services my local bank pulled up while I was there. Both of the guards were carrying GP100's. I'm sure they were company issued but it was surprising to see what they were carrying at this day and age.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3642 Posts

Posted - May 07 2019 :  4:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put about 30,000 rounds of .38+P loads (125 Power Factor)through a four-inch GP-100 revolver in IDPA competition before it needed attention (and that was just the barrel/forcing cone... the action was fine). Competition shooting isn't quite like "shoot 6 slowly and carefully reload". It's "slam/bang slap the cylinder open, hammer the ejector rod, shove new bullets in, and slam the cylinder closed" while running that trigger as fast as you can keep the front sight on the target zone.

High speed competitive shooting can be brutal on a DA revolver... but mine went 30,000 rounds of that abuse... with +P loads. They are quite sturdy.

The reason that I went to S&W M&P semi-autos for my IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge semi-auto guns is because the grip angle on them was a perfect match for the GP-100s... draw the gun and the sights were in the same place for both. That's the reason my carry gun is a M&P 9c.

Both the M&P and the GP-100s could be called "The Perfect Gun" for me.
They get right to the target and they work

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on May 07 2019 4:06:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

rev.
Advanced Member

1011 Posts

Posted - May 07 2019 :  8:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading all these posts reminds me of how we are all different and have different needs and desires. I'm reminded sitting here that in my father's day men felt well armed with all steel .32's of both auto and revolver varieties. He had a .32 Mann in the night stand drawer. I remember my father taking me into Stoeger arms in NYC and seeing case after case of revolvers with a few autos here and there. Today, that's all gone. So for me, I figure, since I don't frequent "bad places", my potential adversary will probably be some fellow in a Wall Mart parking lot. With the advances made in ammo, I feel well armed with a plastic framed pocket variety .380 loaded with Lehigh Defense solid copper rounds. Or with a Ruger Light Carry Nine s pro model loaded with 115gr. Gold Dots. whatever suits my fancy at the moment. I'm comfortable with single stack mags, just the one in the gun will do. I don't frequent walking through bear country since just walking is a real effort for me so the N frames are out, so something that will go bang in a bad guys face will suffice. I know my choice of armament will not please everyone, but as I said, we're all different. So God bless all (oops, I said the G word publicly).
rev.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - May 07 2019 :  9:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As it happens, Lucky Gunner just ran an article about .32s. Iíve cut-and-pasted some of it below:

ďOne hundred years ago, .32 ACP was quite possibly the most popular semi-automatic pistol cartridge in the world. It was developed by John Browning for the FN Model 1900 which was the first ever production pistol to feature a reciprocating slide. .32 ACP quickly caught on, especially in Europe where it is typically known as 7.65 Browning. During the first half of the 20th century, .32 caliber pistols were among the most common sidearms for police and military in Europe. Here in the US, we used larger caliber handguns in those roles, but compact .32 pistols were still successfully marketed to civilians for self-defense.

Semi-autos like the Savage Model 1907 and the Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless were some of the most common pocket guns. They were much larger than what we think of as a pocket pistol today ó they were more like coat pocket pistols ó but that was still considered small by early 1900s standards. Itís easy to see the appeal of these old .32s. Itís a light recoiling cartridge and when you load it in a steel framed pistol with a single action trigger, itís incredibly easy to shoot.

Despite that appeal, the popularity of .32 ACP gradually declined in the second half of the 1900s and thatís a trend that continues today. Pocket pistols are still big sellers, but now .380 ACP is by far the dominant cartridge. According to the ATF, in 2007, there was roughly one .32 ACP pistol made in the US for every three pistols chambered for .380. Since then, the popularity of .380 has exploded while .32 has dwindled to almost nothing. In 2017, for every .32 caliber pistol made, there were 100 .380s.

But of course, a lot of people are most concerned about the perceived lack of power of the .32 ACP compared to the alternatives. Unfortunately, ... there is just not much data on how .32 ACP performs in real-world defensive shootings. So again, letís take a look at some ballistic gel to give us a rough idea of what this round is capable of. This is just a quick, informal test, we will be doing more testing of .32 ACP later on at the end of this series along with all the other pocket pistol calibers.

Staring with a couple of rounds of Speer Gold Dot, the average penetration depth was almost 11 inches. Thatís a little less than weíd like to see and there was no expansion. Thatís not really a surprise, though. With small caliber hollow points, you typically get either good penetration or good expansion. Sometimes, like in this case, you get neither. They just donít have enough energy to expand and penetrate. Full metal jacket rounds are often recommended for mouse gun calibers because they at least have a decent chance of penetrating.

So the next load we tried was Federal American Eagle full metal jacket. The first round stopped at 15.5 inches and the second made it all the way to 20 inches. Technically, thatís over penetration, but with the smaller calibers, the reality is that the bullet is most likely going to lose all of its energy by the time it exits the target, so shoot-throughs are not a real concern. We tried one more jacketed hollow point, this one from PMC. Again, there was no expansion, but the penetration was a little better than the Gold Dot with an average of 13 inches. Thatís deeper than the ideal 12-inch minimum that weíre looking for, but I still think Iíd prefer a full metal jacket in this caliber, especially considering the rim lock issue with the hollow points. A round nose FMJ is not crushing a lot of tissue like we see in the wound channel of a good penetrating hollow point, but thatís just a compromise you have to accept if youíre going to carry a small caliber pistol.

Letís take a look at how these numbers compare to a few of the .380 loads from our tests a couple years ago. Those tests were done with a Glock 42, which has a longer barrel than the KelTec so itís not a totally even comparison. The Gold Dot in .380 had the same kind of shallow penetration as the .32 Gold Dot except that it did expand.

The Hornady Critical Defense was really the only .380 that had decent expansion and penetration, but some of the tests Iíve seen with that load from shorter barrels were not so great. So if your gun launches those .380 hollow points with enough velocity to make them penetrate and expand, the .380 might have a bit of a ballistic advantage. On the other hand, if youíre following the advice to carry FMJ ammo in a pocket pistol, it doesnít seem like there is much difference between a .380 and a .32.

So overall, my take on .32 ACP is that it has potential and itís really a shame that we donít have more options for both guns and ammo in this caliber. There might be 100 .380s being sold for every one .32, but at Lucky Gunner, the gap between these two calibers is not nearly as wide in terms of ammo sales. We sell about one round of .32 for every eleven or twelve rounds of .380. Now, thatís not proof of anything, but it does suggest that there are lot of people out there buying these little pocket .380s but not shooting them. They are guns that require a lot of practice to master and for the most part, people are not actually practicing with them because theyíre uncomfortable to shoot. If all of those .380s were .32s instead, I think more people would be getting trigger time with their carry guns.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on May 07 2019 9:42:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.45seconds. Snitz Forums 2000