Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - The Perfect Handgun
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 The Perfect Handgun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ajt
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  10:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any of you ever run into what you might call 'the perfect handgun' - for you at least? Where everything just felt right about it, grip, natural pointer, controls right at the fingertips? I have several BHPs that would fit that description but not - only after changing grips, safety, sights, and removing the magazine disconnectors. A Sig P225 was a 'must have' years ago and I have never changed anything about it, but its only eight rounds, but it feels and points just right. I can live with the sights but... .The P226 with the ergo grip feels right, and is my second favorite handgun but is a little on the large side for concealed carry, but I can get around that. I have a couple of friends that both claim that the stock M&P compact does it for them but I've never held one.
Anybody ever picked up what you would call "the perfect handgun", for you?

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1148 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  10:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beretta PX4, Sig 226 and 229.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop
Advanced Member

USA
1145 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  11:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taurus, 2" 38/357 Mag, Mdl 617, 7 shot, K frame size revolver, loaded with 357 DPX. Do wish it was a Smith, but S W does not make one with 7 this size. Got 3 of them.

Recent purchase, S/W M P 2.0 9 C in a plastic gun. Growing on me more and more every time I shoot it. Very well may become my favorite plastic gun when I want 15 rounds on board. Just purchased the second one.

That's my story and I am sticking too it, and NO, I don't like 1911's. Got 2, but they are safe queens.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3656 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  11:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S&W M&P and Shield (all models, all calibers)... Taurus 85 UL... Ruger GP-100.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2753 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  1:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S&W 327 8 shot 357 snub, unlike most here or my shooting buddies I don’t generally enjoy shooting much. It’s more like weight lifting, something I do because it improves aspects of me.

But shooting the 327 snub with 38's or 357/110's tends to put a involuntary smile on my face.

Though I’ve only shot rental ones so far, spent money I had budgeted for one on L frame Night Guard when they came out. And that gun just wasn’t great fit for me.

Eventually though I’ll have one or two of those.

And probably some full size 8 N frame 357's since their triggers just seem right to me.

Though I certainly like N frames in general.

Go to Top of Page

JD

USA
113 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  4:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on what I want the gun to do. For defense the Sig 226, and 228 are perfect, along with the CZ75. For an outdoor gun the S&W 629 Mountain Revolver and the Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Special. For just plain fun the Ruger Single Six in 22, and the Ruger MKII stainless 22. For target shooting, it's hands down the S&W 41.......

JD
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5677 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  4:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dunno about 'perfect', but for revolvers, the GP100 with the original rubber-n-wood-insert grips seem to fit, point, and balance better for me than other revolvers; though I've had no significant problems with virtually any revolvers that couldn't be overcome with some time and familiarization. Some with little grips, like the Security Six and the like, do feel better with 'fixes' like the Tyler T-Grip adaptor, or Pachmayrs. But the GP was the first one I could just pick up and point naturally--which would beg the question, why even have other makes and models? But I do.
I have a theory that the 'man with one gun' thing is real; if a man (or lady) only has one gun, and that one becomes 'natural' in their hands, that's the one that will feel 'right' regardless of which other makes/models may be tried. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

rev.
Advanced Member

1014 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  7:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bersa Thunder .380. Every time I pick it up I marvel at how right it feels, and I love its trigger in SA mode.
rev.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  7:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect for....?

EDC...... SIG P226 or 229. As others have noted, they just ‘feel right’ in my hands.

Pocket carry/backup..... Kimber K6S 2”. Six shots of .357 in J-frame sized revolver.

Wallet-holster/ankle-holster carry.... SIG P938 with 7-rd mag.

Deep concealment..... Seecamp .380. Difficult to shoot compared to other .380s, but tiny.

Briefcase carry.... braced SIG Virtus 300BLK. Rifle performance in a gun that the law regards as a handgun.

Hiking in bear country..... Bowen custom 5” Super Redhawk in .44 magnum. With Garrett ‘Hammerhead’ loads, a real thumper!

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on July 17 2018 8:36:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5464 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  8:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I rarely carry a "Handgun" and tend to carry a pair of handguns it is hard to say what I think a "Perfect handgun" is or would be.

yes, I tend to carry a Glock 17 loaded with +P or +P+ jhp's but today I also had a Glock 42 in .380 AND a Kel-Tec in .32 to serve as backups for Bailiff duty.

Right now I have my S&W model 642 38 snub in my pocket and a Glock 21SF on my desk table and if trouble breaks loose I will try to get to one of my pump shotguns stashed in the house.

Yeah, I'll go for the shotguns... Nobody's perfect...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  8:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Dunno about 'perfect', but for revolvers, the GP100 with the original rubber-n-wood-insert grips seem to fit, point, and balance better for me than other revolvers; though I've had no significant problems with virtually any revolvers that couldn't be overcome with some time and familiarization. Some with little grips, like the Security Six and the like, do feel better with 'fixes' like the Tyler T-Grip adaptor, or Pachmayrs. But the GP was the first one I could just pick up and point naturally--which would beg the question, why even have other makes and models? But I do.
I have a theory that the 'man with one gun' thing is real; if a man (or lady) only has one gun, and that one becomes 'natural' in their hands, that's the one that will feel 'right' regardless of which other makes/models may be tried. Ace

+ 1

For Jim, it’s clearly the 1911. For Chris, sounds like it’s the M&P, and GP-100 (OK, that’s two... but who’s counting?)

If you’ve got decades of experience behind it, and do your best work with it... it’s the ‘perfect’ gun for you....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on July 17 2018 8:44:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5558 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  8:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The flip side of the coin is, it’s good to be practiced-up on a wide variety of handguns. Glocks aren’t my first choice, but in my ideal world I’d like to be able to pick one up and be reasonably good with it if I had to.

That’s why I’m thinking I need to add a 1911 to my ‘stable’ of handguns....

Go to Top of Page

ajt
Average Member

USA
322 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  10:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked this question as, as I went through my handguns, I came to the conclusion that I owned a lot of 'also rans' - good quality handguns that seemed right at the time that I purchased them, but that I eventually passed over as I went back to the BHP or on to try something else. I like my Sig/Glock/Ruger/Springfields/Smiths/Brownings etc but as my age goes up and my health goes down I need to whittle my handgun collection down to a more manageable number (whatever that is), sticking to the ones which would be the 'best/perfect' models for me. Which is why I decided to draw upon the vast knowledge, experience and opinions of the shooters here. As much as I hate to admit it, it looks like my wife may have been right all of these years when she says that I may have too many handguns. But then again I may just have to go and try out an M&P...
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  11:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truth be known,.... I'm a Browning HP fan. Always have been. I shoot it well. It doesn't jam and fits my Paw like a glove. Sigs are nice as are Glocks but the BHP suites me best.

MSS
Go to Top of Page

ironhead7544

USA
57 Posts

Posted - July 18 2018 :  06:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S&W M69. Been handloading the 44 Magnum since 1972. I can come up with a loading than can handle most everything.
Go to Top of Page

LfiGrad

USA
96 Posts

Posted - July 18 2018 :  10:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say the M&P 2.0 Compact.

If my only choice was a loaded .25 or an unloaded .45, I would choose the empty .45. They both have the same stopping power, but the empty 1911 looks a lot more convincing and makes a better club.
Go to Top of Page

retfed89
Advanced Member

USA
1697 Posts

Posted - July 18 2018 :  3:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me it is what I carry now. 18 years ago bought a cop trade in Glock 26. It and my old S&W model 49. The 26 and 2 extra mags with the 49 as bug and 2 extra reloads, shoot both fairly well so am going with what I know works. Retfed
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5538 Posts

Posted - July 18 2018 :  6:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would have to be the handgun I've owned longest, made the most memories with, and still reach for any time that "gut feeling" shows up. The 1911 Series 70 Colt Government Model, lightly customized by an up and coming pistol smith named Heinie, has been my "go to" gun for 43 years and counting. I carry other lighter, more compact, or higher capacity guns for routine EDC, but when packing in the woods, shooting for fun or bragging rights, or if I feel I might actually "need a gun", out comes the old Colt.

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on July 18 2018 6:06:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1469 Posts

Posted - July 19 2018 :  10:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to start with my BHP,but when I found the VP9 I fell in love all over again. Trigger on the H&K is loads better than the Browning, but the Browning was my first and for a long while my only auto. For out in the woods S&W 29, its taken deer and bear and if I ever go Elk hunting again and got to see one I know I could get the job done with it.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
854 Posts

Posted - July 20 2018 :  12:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S&W Shield and M&P 2.0 compact.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3656 Posts

Posted - July 20 2018 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heavyweight

S&W Shield and M&P 2.0 compact.

Excellent choices for personal protection. S&W got this design right!

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

montanaman
Advanced Member

1150 Posts

Posted - July 24 2018 :  10:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hand fits the 1911A1

That being said - I rarely carry it.

The light weight and simplicity of my Ruger LCR in .327 Federal make it my constant companion.

Paladin didn't need a semi-auto, or a laser sight, and always carried an extra gun.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9831 Posts

Posted - July 24 2018 :  10:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is no secret that I am admiring of John Browning, in general, and the 1911 in specific, but I'd have to say "perfect" (or at least near perfect) might depend on what job I'm intending to do.

For self defense or sport shooting (as it is played today) I'd certainly pick it, simply because there is no other handgun I can shoot faster and none I can shoot as accurately at speed (that likely hangs on years of practice, it might be different for other folks and other guns - "mileage" truly does vary).

I also hunt with a 1911 and in my state it works just fine (the biggest thing we have is a 250 lb deer (though most are in the 100-150 lb. range) and perhaps the occasional 400 lb feral hog (though most of those too are lighter).

Still, I don't think the 1911 or the .45 Auto are "perfect" even for here - The three cartridges that come close (again for here, not where big carnivores roam) are the .45 Auto Rim, .45 Colt and .44 Special (naturally a .44 Magnum and .41 Magnum or .454 Casull or .480 Ruger will do also). I actually prefer the auto-rim with a hand-load of a 260 gr bullet at around 1100 fps

One of my favorite handguns that is close to perfect is a S&W 1st Model Hand Ejector, also known as a "Triple-lock" made in 1912 - it is a thing of beauty and as accurate as most modern rifles. It is a .44 Special, if it was really "perfect" it would be a .45 Auto Rim or .45 Colt...But beggars can't be choosers

Another almost perfect gun I own (paid $50 for it) is a Pre-War Colt Woodsman made around 1934 - it is the most accurate .22 pistol I own and is much more accurate than all but one of my .22 rifles - at least as far as I can use the sights.

They just don't build guns like they used to.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9831 Posts

Posted - July 24 2018 :  10:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have added that I actually love the P-35 though, having worked on guns for over 50 years, I don't find it either as robust or as reliable as a 1911 and I have not depended on a 9mm since the summer of 1977 (long story).

But boy are they pretty and they feel so good in the hand with good slim stocks.

I have P-35s in 9mm, .30 Luger and .356 TSW.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5538 Posts

Posted - July 24 2018 :  11:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

I should have added that I actually love the P-35 though, having worked on guns for over 50 years, I don't find it either as robust or as reliable as a 1911 and I have not depended on a 9mm since the summer of 1977 (long story).

What might we learn from a condensed version?

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9831 Posts

Posted - July 27 2018 :  08:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

What might we learn from a condensed version?

Jeff

It isn't all that concrete. I found myself about 15 yards from a "gunfight" in Memphis once. The subject weighed about 350 lbs and all I had was a Browning 9mm - I decided right then that I'd never carry anything I would not use on a 350 lb wild boar, since some people come in that size and, some of them are a good bit more determined than wild boar.

That particular 350 lb male was not one of those - he dropped instantly to a single shot from a 2.5" .357 magnum - which happened to miss him completely - Which cause me to start thinking about "the acoustic theory of stopping power"

Jim

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.41seconds. Snitz Forums 2000