Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Rookie cop
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Cop Corner
 Rookie cop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5362 Posts

Posted - July 16 2018 :  1:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday a just turned 21 year old left the detention center I work at to pursue a career as a small town cop. He is greener than the grass in my yard but he and I had several conversations over the last two weeks and I made many suggestions from carrying a backup gun to no nonsense firearms drills that he can do on his own time.

While several bad mouthed him behind his back, I did it to his face. I told him in the jail and I'd do it on the street to keep him alive or out of trouble. I know that at times that kid got red faced and would mumble and grumble but he always did as I told him.

When he left yesterday, I gave him a pocket knife and told him a good place to keep it clipped in a pocket and he then asked me if I'd go to his academy graduation when he goes. He also told me I would be about the only person he'd miss because I was more honest to him than others.

You all please keep a young man named Wyatt in your prayers. He will work 12 hrs solo in a small town starting tonight with maybe 20-30 hours of ride time with a officer behind him already.

I know I'll keep him in my Prayers.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5243 Posts

Posted - July 16 2018 :  2:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers up for young Wyatt.

And kudos to you for mentoring him. You never know how your words of wisdom may benefit him somewhere down the line....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3396 Posts

Posted - July 16 2018 :  2:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

Prayers up for young Wyatt.

And kudos to you for mentoring him. You never know how your words of wisdom may benefit him somewhere down the line....

Kudos Ace! When one reaches the 'exalted' Old Fart age... the best thing we can do is keep the 'young guns' from making the same mistakes we did when we were there.

It's called PASSING THE KNOWLEDGE ON.

Bless you for doing that.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5426 Posts

Posted - July 16 2018 :  7:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the kudos, but it's Arvinator who is the proper recipient.

Could I have just one, though, for the several I did train and work on--I mean with--over the years who are still out there doing a good job? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
952 Posts

Posted - July 17 2018 :  11:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arv, good job. The truth is hard to take, sometimes, but you did him a favor imparting it to him. Just may save his "hinie" some day. He will forget the red faces, in times. Gratitude will take their place, hopefully.

Edited to add; I chatted with a Deputy a while back. He had just been in a shootout, on the interstate, with 3 Mexican drug smugglers. He used his 870, "because an old deputy told him to turn to the long gun if at all possible." He said it saved his butt. He shot 2 and the other decided to give up. They were at about 30 feet apart and all the Mexicans were armed with handguns.

I had previously read the story on the internet and was shocked I was sitting beside him in a Dr office.

I shook his hand and thanked him for his service.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on July 17 2018 11:30:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1424 Posts

Posted - July 19 2018 :  11:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prayers for sure for Wyatt, do you know if he had any brothers? Virgil, Morgan? I got thinking about the times we live in today and for law enforcement not much has changed since those days of yore. Those who took the advice of the older generation survived. I think about and pray frequently for the deputies I work with as a volunteer, they are in emergency services, but still take and assist in calls. Kudo's to all you who survived law enforcement to be able to give your experience to the younger generation. You are paying it forward as you received it from your mentors.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5426 Posts

Posted - July 20 2018 :  12:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just imagine what he'll have to go through, with that name--probably be more irritating than dealing with defense lawyers. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

dubiousone

643 Posts

Posted - July 22 2018 :  07:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BRAVO and high-fives to ya Arvinator!!
It's called being a mentor. You're not their buddy, uncle Bob or Grandpa Bubba (LOL) Being a mentor means, amng other things, being HONEST which from the sound of things you were. Telling people what they NEED to hear, not what they want to hear. I had this 'done' to me as did, I suspect, you. I vividly remember those who helped me along this path we call life and I have passed on those lessons I was taught in the same method you have done for this fine young man.

Expert? I ain't no expert, just a
Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual...
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - July 22 2018 :  09:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds as if young Wyatt is in for a steep learning curve. Given his youth, he's going to have to work hard to establish his "street cred". Arv, your advice just might end up saving this kid's life. Good on ya!

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - July 22 2018 :  09:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds as if young Wyatt is in for a steep learning curve. Given his youth, he's going to have to work hard to establish his "street cred". Arv, your advice just might end up saving this kid's life. Good on ya!

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1850 Posts

Posted - July 27 2018 :  11:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arv, drop me a line through the contact page on RevolverGuy.com and I'll get a copy of my Newhall Shooting book into young Wyatt's hands. Lots of good lessons in there for a new officer.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5362 Posts

Posted - July 29 2018 :  5:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic