Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Officer involved shooting, lesson learned
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Survivors' Tips
 Officer involved shooting, lesson learned
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5358 Posts

Posted - June 15 2018 :  1:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few months ago, a trooper was involved in a shooting with motorist. Trooper was shot in shoulder of his gun hand. He was in a bad situation. I noticed a few local troopers were carrying a small handgun in off side pocket ( something I do daily) and I'm glad.

Tip: your backup needs to be accessible in your non0dominant hand. While my primary handgun is carried on my right side, even when just around the house my 38 snub rides in my left front pocket with knife & compact flashlight ride in my right pocket.
Habit prevents confusion when ugly breaks loose...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3353 Posts

Posted - June 15 2018 :  1:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arvinator

A few months ago, a trooper was involved in a shooting with motorist. Trooper was shot in shoulder of his gun hand. He was in a bad situation. I noticed a few local troopers were carrying a small handgun in off side pocket ( something I do daily) and I'm glad.

Tip: your backup needs to be accessible in your non0dominant hand. While my primary handgun is carried on my right side, even when just around the house my 38 snub rides in my left front pocket with knife & compact flashlight ride in my right pocket.
Habit prevents confusion when ugly breaks loose...

A BIG +1... and a good reminder. If a gun is available to either hand, the chances are you can always get a hand on one.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5178 Posts

Posted - June 15 2018 :  7:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why snubbies will never be ‘obsolete’....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34367 Posts

Posted - June 16 2018 :  1:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started carrying a second gun readily available to the non dominant hand in 1970 and still do.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
823 Posts

Posted - June 20 2018 :  07:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I carry a S&W 637 in a Serpa on my weak side. I have for about 6-7 years now. I watched a vid of a female officer with a pit bull latched on to her dominant arm and she was unable to access her duty weapon. Take a round in your dominant arm, get in a scrap and injure it, someone try to disarm you...many reasons to.
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1687 Posts

Posted - June 20 2018 :  5:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a buddy who was a Jersey Trooper as was his Dad. Father passed a Colt Cobra to new Trooper son to be carried in the LF Trouser pocket. He explained to me that violators watched the dominant gun hand but never the off hand and he approached his stops with his hand in that Trouser pocket wrapped around that .Cobra. I filed that away and did the same for 25 years as well. These day's I have a 3rd Gen Colt Cobra in mine,.. always.

MSS
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000