Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Ruger Service Six 9mm is "Stuck"
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 Ruger Service Six 9mm is "Stuck"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
393 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  6:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased what was described as a "mint" (appeared new) blued Ruger Speed Six 9mm serial no. 156-92XXX, still in the box through GunBroker.com. Other than some speckling on the backstrap, the gun appears unfired-no evidence of burned powder in the bore or chambers. After wiping the revolver down, I checked the action by squeezing the trigger in double action. After about 10 trigger pulls, I noticed the cylinder didn't turn when the hammer dropped. In about five more pulls, the action completely froze up...couldn't cock the gun by thumb or by the trigger. Every 20-30 tries, it'll allow me to pull the trigger or thumb cock it and drop the hammer in single action. Then it "goes on strike" once more.

Is it possible that someone disassembled the gun and put it back with something out of place/missing? Is it possible there's trash in there somewhere?

I called Ruger. The customer service rep said everyone there who worked on Security, Service, Speed Sixes is retired or dead. I hate to send it back if it's just some little problem. I've been looking for one for a while. Any ideas or recommendations?

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may
come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Winston Churchill

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5293 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  7:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Security/Speed Sixes were easier to disassemble than the Colts or Smiths. IIRC that was one of the selling points. I'd expect to find instructions online - possibly YouTube? I recall stripping my Security Six down and getting it back together with no problems. And I didn't even have any parts left over afterward - which is good for me.

My bet is that you've already narrowed the problem down to the two most likely causes. If it were me, I'd take a peek inside. It's not all that difficult on the Ruger.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4441 Posts

Posted - May 24 2018 :  9:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check the ejector rod is tight

pull the trigger assembly, see if the pins have backed out

incorrect or broken springs last guess

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1847 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  01:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ralph, it's possible something is broken, but let's consider something else.

First, it could be fouled/dirty. Second, it could be reassembled improperly.

To solve each, you'll need to disassemble, clean, and reassemble according to instructions. The manual is easily found on the internet with a search for “ruger security six manual”—there are several links that will bring you to the factory manual, including an Amazon docs link near the top. The dis/reassembly process is pretty simple.

Things I’d look for:

1. Excessive lubricant/fouling/gunk in the cylinder assembly that could be causing cylinder binding. If the ejector won't properly seat, you’ll have the kinds of problems you're describing. Even a small displacement can lead to big problems. There may also be lots of gunk binding the cylinder rotation on the axle;

2. Gunk in the action that could be binding the pawl;

3. Mainspring installed upside down (this will prevent the hammer from being cocked);

4. Pawl not properly positioned during reassembly. There's a recess for it—ensure it's in the right place and the former owner didn't just force the trigger assy back up into position with the pawl out of place;

The gun is designed with a safety interlock that freezes the action when the cylinder is opened. You can't work the trigger or hammer when the cylinder is not in the locked position and/or the cylinder release is not in its proper position.

From what you're describing, it sounds like there's also a possibility that the gun thinks the cylinder is open, so it locks everything up tight. I would check to ensure that:

5. There isn't some built up gunk/lube under the cylinder release button that is freezing it in the wrong (open) position;

6. The cylinder latch plunger on the bottom of the crane isn't frozen with gunk/lube, and can freely move back and forth. If it's frozen, then it can hold the cylinder latch in the wrong position, and activate the safety interlock;

7. The cylinder latch was correctly installed in the frame when it was last reassembled;

8. The ejector doesn't have gunk/lube that has frozen it, because it needs to have the spring-loaded center pin go into the recess at the back of the frame when the cylinder is closed, to help lock it in place. If the center pin doesn't lock in place, the cylinder can wander out of position and perhaps activate the interlock safety.

I suspect you'll get it working with a good cleaning and some care to make sure it was put together right.

Mike

Edited by - Ten Driver on May 25 2018 01:58:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1847 Posts

Posted - May 25 2018 :  02:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, I didn't mention to check the ejector rod, because GW correctly noted it above. My comments assume that you've already checked it and found that it's tight.

That's a leading contender, and could easily be your problem.
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
923 Posts

Posted - June 01 2018 :  5:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a really long time, but my recollection is that to get at the action you remove the grips/stocks. Then remove the mainspring.(?) Up inside the frame recess there's a spring loaded plunger that retains the trigger guard assembly ( with all the working parts attached) comes out of the frame, rear end first.

Reassembly involves hooking a ledge at the front of the trigger assembly inside the frame, rotate the assembly up and then push the plunger in to allow the assembly to lock in place.
Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
393 Posts

Posted - June 11 2018 :  1:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Results of Diagnostic Surgery:

The Pawl Plunger and Pawl Plunger Spring were jammed into the recess in the back of the trigger and corroded/gummed in place. The gunsmith was able to drill the parts loose after several attempts to extract them without violence. The trigger was saved. The $8.90 worth of replacement parts from Numrich is the fix. Thanks to all for your interest in my issue.

come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5178 Posts

Posted - June 11 2018 :  2:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing repository of firearms knowledge here.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

ajt
Average Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - June 11 2018 :  2:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that your problem has been resolved! The Ruger Speed Six was my first centerfire handgun, and was a real handful with .357 mags with the factory stocks. Pachmayr Compacs tamed it. I wouldn't mind having one in 9mm. Lets us know how it performs.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1847 Posts

Posted - June 12 2018 :  02:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, #2 then!
Go to Top of Page

ironhead7544

USA
53 Posts

Posted - June 13 2018 :  07:04:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work. Keep guns lubed.
Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
393 Posts

Posted - June 14 2018 :  12:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ten,

Roger that! Number 2. I bet it sat in a safe for 30 years before being touched again. Even lube can be neglected for so long it becomes "a rock."

Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
393 Posts

Posted - August 13 2018 :  10:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Got to learn some more about the Ruger Service Six 9mm you guys "stewed over" with me a couple of months ago. It's four inch barrel drives Federal BPLE, Winchester 127 grain +P+, and Federal 124 grain +P HST at average speeds just over that of my Glock 19 but just short of the average Glock 17 speeds from the same lot numbers. I bought some Ranch Moon Clips from Unique Tek but found they will not allow the cylinder to rotate as they are too thick (.034"). The half moon clips from Ruger and the moon clips from TK Custom are .032" thick and work fine. To Unique Tek's credit, they agreed to take the Ranch clips back and refund my money. The Unique Teck/Ranch moon clips worked in a stainless Speed Six I had before...Go "figure."

Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1847 Posts

Posted - August 13 2018 :  1:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good info, Ralph! I see you're getting the full experience with clip-fed revolvers!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000