StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - CMP 1911 Prices Posted
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 CMP 1911 Prices Posted
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1677 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  6:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, the CMP just released more information on the 1911 release, including prices. Highest grade is "Service" at $1050. Check out the CMP web site for dates and options, good Luck, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus

Bill D
Advanced Member

USA
1172 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  06:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info...Funny we and my Dad etc. paid for them, think they should give them out for free, one per vet. Bill

Bill D
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4398 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  10:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be satisfied if they'd stop trying to confiscate the guns I've paid for.....

If Hillary was President, they'd be dumping these tax dollars in the ocean

get em while they're hot

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  3:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the prices I've seen posted... I think that if I wanted a serviceable 1911 I'd be better off (and dollars ahead) to just by a commercial model (Ruger, S&W, Springfield, etc).

Nostalgia buffs my feel differently, but you'd get a better shooter at a LGS... considering the money you'd have to spend to make these CMP guns 'better shooters'.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1677 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  08:32:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I rarely see a GI 1911 under $2000. YMMV, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  10:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi, I rarely see a GI 1911 under $2000. YMMV, regards, Mike



I don't know about "GI 1911s"... but I've shot & tested several different Ruger SR1911 models. MSRPs from $939 to $1019. They shoot a lot better than the service models I handled back 'in the day'. Given the market situation today, I bet you could beat those MSRPs with a bit of careful shopping.

Edited to add... also shot some new Colts and a Springfield Armory gun...they are a bit more costly than the Rugers (but not by a lot), and shot great...

And, you wouldn't have to put much into them to turn them into serious shooters... in contract to a WWII era GI 1911.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on May 12 2018 10:57:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5115 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  10:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

At the prices I've seen posted... I think that if I wanted a serviceable 1911 I'd be better off (and dollars ahead) to just by a commercial model (Ruger, S&W, Springfield, etc).

Nostalgia buffs my feel differently, but you'd get a better shooter at a LGS... considering the money you'd have to spend to make these CMP guns 'better shooters'.


I suspect you’re right, Chris, it’s the ‘nostalgia factor’ that sets these guns apart: they represent ‘a piece of history’...

There’s something about an old gun... that ‘historical ambience’... that makes it cool (at least for me).... “If this gun could talk, what stories it could tell...”

But sure: if all you’re looking for is a serviceable 1911, a CMP gun isn’t your best option; unless you actually enjoy all that tinkering, and aren’t concerned about the price.

To each his own...

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on May 12 2018 10:18:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  11:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LB, I can see your point. In fact, you have convinced me. I'm changing my EDC to a pair of .36 caliber Colt Patterson black powder revolvers... just like Wild Bill Hickock and the Texas Rangers used to use! I will be the coolest dude on the streets.

I'll look even cooler when they wheel my remains into the morgue

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4398 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  11:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my first 1911 was a Remington Rand GI, paid $50 for it, came with flap holster, gi mag pouch, 3 gi magazines.

that was 45 years ago, and a good deal, shot it alot back then

haven't loaded it in years, recently turned down $1500 for it, put it back in the safe

be worth some money someday

these GI guns at the CMP won't be sold as shooters, probably are priced fairly, and the 8,000 available will be sold out before the year is out....

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1677 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  1:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi, I rarely see a GI 1911 under $2000. YMMV, regards, Mike



I don't know about "GI 1911s"... but I've shot & tested several different Ruger SR1911 models. MSRPs from $939 to $1019. They shoot a lot better than the service models I handled back 'in the day'. Given the market situation today, I bet you could beat those MSRPs with a bit of careful shopping.

Edited to add... also shot some new Colts and a Springfield Armory gun...they are a bit more costly than the Rugers (but not by a lot), and shot great...

And, you wouldn't have to put much into them to turn them into serious shooters... in contract to a WWII era GI 1911.



Hi, apples and oranges, one is collectable one "ain't" each to his own. I have no horse in this race. I'm only posting for informational purposes, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  1:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, no offense intended, and I hope none taken. I just have a very pragmatic view of firearms. If they don't serve a purpose they're sold.
Even with that I've got more guns than I wanna store, so some gun club members are likely to get a deal or two.

Leaving one in the safe until it appreciates enough to show a profit doesn't fit my DNA. The only 'antique collectible' in my house is me

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

retfed89
Advanced Member

USA
1669 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  2:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first and only 1911A1 was purchased about 1962 while in college.LGS near school had 3 shelves of GI 1911s, bottom ones were $20; middle shelf were $25 @ top shelf. $30, and best ones. Could only afford the $25 one. Shot well enough and reliable enough to carry on the job, mostly while uc. It is a Remington Rand. Retfed

Edited by - retfed89 on May 12 2018 2:48:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5115 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  4:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

LB, I can see your point. In fact, you have convinced me. I'm changing my EDC to a pair of .36 caliber Colt Patterson black powder revolvers... just like Wild Bill Hickock and the Texas Rangers used to use! I will be the coolest dude on the streets.

I'll look even cooler when they wheel my remains into the morgue


That’s what I’m sayin’!

And when you show up at the Pearly Gates, wearing those Colt Pattersons, Saint Peter— who I think we can safely assume still appreciates a good weapon— will take one look at them and exclaim, “Cool guns! Wish I’d had a pair of those ‘back in the day’...”

Then glancing down at a scroll in his hand, “Hmmm.... I don’t see you on my list.... but anyone with that kind of taste in firearms is OK by me. C’mon in! Have you heard about our shooting ranges? Truly out of this world....”


"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on May 12 2018 4:22:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  4:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

LB, I can see your point. In fact, you have convinced me. I'm changing my EDC to a pair of .36 caliber Colt Patterson black powder revolvers... just like Wild Bill Hickock and the Texas Rangers used to use! I will be the coolest dude on the streets.

I'll look even cooler when they wheel my remains into the morgue


That’s what I’m sayin’!

And when you show up at the Pearly Gates, wearing those Colt Pattersons, Saint Peter— who I think we can safely assume still appreciates a good weapon— will take one look at them and exclaim, “Cool guns! Wish I’d had a pair of those ‘back in the day’...”

Then glancing down at a scroll in his hand, “Hmmm.... I don’t see you on my list.... but anyone with that kind of taste in firearms is OK by me. C’mon in! Have you heard about our shooting ranges? Truly out of this world....”






Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

5115 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  5:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“And those black powder guns? Up here you never have to reload them....”


"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham
Moderator

USA
9685 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  10:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

my first 1911 was a Remington Rand GI, paid $50 for it, came with flap holster, gi mag pouch, 3 gi magazines.

that was 45 years ago, and a good deal, shot it alot back then

haven't loaded it in years, recently turned down $1500 for it, put it back in the safe

be worth some money someday

these GI guns at the CMP won't be sold as shooters, probably are priced fairly, and the 8,000 available will be sold out before the year is out....



GW - similar story here. I bought my first 1911a1 (I wasn't even looking for a .45 auto just a center-fire pistol) when I was 15 (perfectly legal then) for $69 - I paid too much for it as my Dad pointed out - and then my second a few years later for $35.

Both of them shoot better than I can, and with the latter I won an impromptu "sudden death" 100 yard match (shoot at a pepper popper until you missed) lasting twice as many rounds as the Navy SEAL who was second (he was also 35 years younger!)

I have passed the military rifle qual with that $35 gun 3 times (every time I've tried it with that gun) - I reckon it will do all I need in a handgun - it remains unmodified to this day and I've been offered a good deal or money or expensive guns in trade for it - I have not been tempted to sell it.

IMHO no company today would sign on to the terms of contract inspection that 1911a1s went through (1 stoppage in 5,000 rounds meant that the whole lot of 5,000 pistols was rejected). Heck, today, some ammo companies accept that much as acceptable.

PS my guess is 8,000 might last 2 months, and they might last 2 weeks.

I would agree, you can get a good reliable copy of a 1911 (with slightly inferior internal parts - but which might give good service for much longer than the average shooter will shoot them) for well under that price - I do not think they are quite as robust, but probably good enough - it is a minority of folks who will fire 100,000 rounds from a handgun.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4398 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  10:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some of these CMP guns will be 1911s not A1s and worth trying for

years ago, a widow asked me to look at her husbands old gun he brought back from the War

it was a GI 1911a1 made in the 30s before the army went to the war time finish

this gun was a Colt, blued and polished as nice as the pre war commercial guns, there was a bidding war when she put it out for sale.

something along those lines is up for sale at Rock Island Auction, estimated value is $10,000 - $20,000

the best of these CMP guns will be held out for auction, but some good deals will pass through as service grade

20 some years ago I bought a carbine through Anniston, luck of the draw it was a Winchester wih no rework cartouches

put in for a drawing on a M1d

that one had a Winchester receiver

didn't need to hold them very long to make money on them........

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on May 13 2018 11:17:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham
Moderator

USA
9685 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  6:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

some of these CMP guns will be 1911s not A1s and worth trying for

years ago, a widow asked me to look at her husbands old gun he brought back from the War

it was a GI 1911a1 made in the 30s before the army went to the war time finish

this gun was a Colt, blued and polished as nice as the pre war commercial guns, there was a bidding war when she put it out for sale.

something along those lines is up for sale at Rock Island Auction, estimated value is $10,000 - $20,000

the best of these CMP guns will be held out for auction, but some good deals will pass through as service grade

20 some years ago I bought a carbine through Anniston, luck of the draw it was a Winchester wih no rework cartouches

put in for a drawing on a M1d

that one had a Winchester receiver

didn't need to hold them very long to make money on them........



So GW - you play the lottery? Maybe you should - what finds!

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Edited by - Jim Higginbotham on May 13 2018 6:45:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4398 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  7:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the lottery is gambling, don't believe in it

I told the widow with the Colt I couldn't afford to give her what the gun was worth

A military collector in Tennessee got it for a few hundred bucks.....

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5357 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  8:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At PD before I retired, I told the chief of the program departments can get firearms to departments cheap. We got 14 1911's & 14 M-16A1's for shipping of 600 bucks.
I had a 1944 Colt 1911A1. I replaced the springs, got new mags and had it throated & polished. It fed everything and shot pretty good. While I did not carry it on duty, ( Glock 17 loaded with +P+ jhp's) I DID carry it often off duty, in the woods while hunting and it rode strapped to my car console. When I retired it was turned in and it was the only firearm I regretted to walk away from. Most of the other 1911's were not reliable and I told the other officers what I did to mine, but they were smarter than me....

Will I buy one of these CMP pistols? I don't think so. To steep a price for me...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham
Moderator

USA
9685 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  09:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

the lottery is gambling, don't believe in it

I told the widow with the Colt I couldn't afford to give her what the gun was worth

A military collector in Tennessee got it for a few hundred bucks.....



10-4 - although I look at the Lottery more as a tax for people who can't do math But, either way, I've never bought a ticket.

Yeah I have that "problem" as well when a really rare gun comes up and yeah there are plenty of folks who will take advantage of people.

Got a good friend who was ordered to man the gun buy back table for the LPD when they had a buy back program - handguns were $50.

This widow brought in her husband's (who had been a cop) Colt Officer's Model Match in excellent condition.

The guys manning the table had been instructed not to advise people but only to answer questions. while she was just turning in the gun, my pal said "Yes Ma'am, in answer to your question, this gun is worth a lot, you should probably take it down the street where you can get more." She got the hint, went to a pawn shop, owned by a retired police officer who gladly gave her $500 (this was in the early 80s so not exactly taking advantage).

I, and the owner of a gunshop I was in, both had to pass when and old guy brought in his grandfathers 1875 Remington - it was silver plated with Ivory stocks - he wanted $200 for it - we both told him it was worth far more and the shop owner pulled out a Blue Book (I think) to show him and he decided to take it to a shop that dealt in collectible but I never heard what it brought - it was easily worth $2000 at the time.

I've gotten some deals but usually only after telling folks what they have if they are individuals - dealers I'm not so picky about if they did not do their research.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham
Moderator

USA
9685 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  09:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arvinator

At PD before I retired, I told the chief of the program departments can get firearms to departments cheap. We got 14 1911's & 14 M-16A1's for shipping of 600 bucks.
I had a 1944 Colt 1911A1. I replaced the springs, got new mags and had it throated & polished. It fed everything and shot pretty good. While I did not carry it on duty, ( Glock 17 loaded with +P+ jhp's) I DID carry it often off duty, in the woods while hunting and it rode strapped to my car console. When I retired it was turned in and it was the only firearm I regretted to walk away from. Most of the other 1911's were not reliable and I told the other officers what I did to mine, but they were smarter than me....

Will I buy one of these CMP pistols? I don't think so. To steep a price for me...



A good friend of mine is a pretty Nationally known Sheriff (now retired) who equipped all his reserve uniformed deputies with Surplus (free except shipping) 1911s which he had a gunsmith go over, install good sights and change out the springs. Classy set up.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5351 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  09:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two things before heading off to work:
1) It's tough being honest. We have people come in occasionally who don't know what they have. Like either an old, but virtually worthless, .38S&W 5-shooter that 'Uncle Fred carried back in the 40's when he was town constable', and they think it's a rare antique; or the lady who came in with an 'old rifle Dad brought back in WW2'--a .30 carbine (don't remember the make) that she wanted a hundred dollars for. The honesty of telling them what they really have either hurts their feelings, or makes them really happy.
2) The definition of 'Lottery' is 'Voluntary Suckers Surtax', not the investment the advertisors want you to think. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.27seconds. Snitz Forums 2000