Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Super Vel - UPDATED
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 Super Vel - UPDATED
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dubiousone

643 Posts

Posted - May 08 2018 :  10:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I had an interesting vistor at the shop today. Peter Pi Sr from Super Vel!

Apparently, they are back and running with Peter as CEO (formerly of Corbon) In Henderson NV.

The specs on their ammunition are promising; 38 special in excess of 1000 out of a J frame snub, 1300 FPS in some of their 9mm loads and they offer subsonic loads in 9mm. Bullets are custom crafted by Sierra (I think I got that right) They are using the same packaging from before, yellow box red stripe.

He gave me a set of their speed strips and a little tinkering at the kitchen table after work seems to prove they are far superior to the Bianchi strips. More flexible, easier loading and better retention. One strip now resides in my pocket, the other the wife glommed on to, LOL.

Out of the initial order, guess who was the first purchaser? LOL. If everything goes according to plan, a trip to the range and some chronographing this weekend is in order.... Stay tuned!

Expert? I ain't no expert, just a
Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual...

Edited by - dubiousone on May 13 2018 3:31:10 PM

ironhead7544
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  07:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good deal. Looking forward to more info.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
916 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  08:03:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the best way to find out the ammo performance testing, and purchase some of the Super Veal ammo?

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

dubiousone

643 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  09:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have specs and you can order it right from their website supervel ammunition dot com

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34362 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  11:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't think Peter jr was involved in the company. I started my gun career carrying Super Vel it just send appropriate to end it the same way

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

dubiousone

643 Posts

Posted - May 10 2018 :  11:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops! Made a typo in my OP, fixed it Evan. Peter Sr. Had good things to say about you!

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34362 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  11:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter is one of the most genuine folks I've ever met in this business!

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
392 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  3:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Corbon has apparently decided to hang on to Mike Shovel as national sales director. They once had a big booth at the NRA Annual Meeting. This year it was just "some guy" who, when asked about the .38 DPX velocity Delta I've experienced, pointed at Mike and said, "Talk to this guy." There was no display, brochure, sales pitch...nuttin'. Mike handed me a card and told me to email him. That's the closest thing I've had for customer service since I bought that "slow" case of .38 DPX. Before passing final judgement, I'll see if Mike gets back to me with a solution.

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may
come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34362 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  3:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike left CB before Peter but he is certainly a talented and good guy.

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

dubiousone

643 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  4:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made it to the range today; beautiful day for burning powder, too! Bright and clear, 75-80 degrees with a light wind from the west. I am happy to report that Super Vel's ammo is as advertised. I shall be buying more.

38 Special 90 grain JHP+P advertised velocity 1300FPS
Out of my S&W 442 I was getting 1368fps per five shot average. Consistently. Accuracy was on par with other loads I've shot with this gun which in one of my daily carries. At 25 yards it holds 'minute of felon'. No, I'm not going to tell you the group size because that would be deceiving. I should have brought a four inch adjustable sight DA/SA revolver but I didn't think of that till I was on the range. Besides, I was more interested in seeing what the velocity and consistency of their load was. In comparison Gold Dot 125gr JHP+P averaged 877 and also shot to the same point of aim. Recoil with the SV load was snappy but not unmanageable. It was certainly less than 357mag through a scandium J frame! LOL. (guess what I'm carrying in that gun from now on since the department no longer 'authorizes' revolvers....but I'm a retired reserve so...lol)

9mm
I shot two different loads through a S&W M&P. The 90gr JHP+P advertised velocity 1600fps. My average was 1463fps. Close enough. Group size was an honest five inches at 25 yards from a rest (subtract an inch if you want for a flyer...if you want to call it that hee-hee)
The 115gr JHP+P advertised velocity 1300fps, my average was 1295fps. Accuracy was 3" but printed two inches lower than the 90gr stuff.

45ACP 185gr JHP+P. Advertised velocity 1100fps survey says...1147fps. Group size at 25 yards was 3.5" right to POA, top of the front sight. 230gr loads shoot a bit lower in this gun, a Glock 21.

223 55gr FMJ advertised as 'remanufactured' using once fired brass. Advertised velocity 3150, I was getting 2783fps. This was the only load that had an extreme spread over 100fps. All of the others were well below 100, a sign, in my opinion of a load that exhibits consistency in its manufacturing. Going through my chronograph all the shots but ONE hovered to one side of the other of 2800fps except this one....2661. Toss out that one and the extreme spread drops from 188 to 128. I pulled a round and Super Vel IS using a ball powder. I suspect that their test barrel was a 20" but the website doesn't list that load. Regardless, their Brown Box Certified select re-manufactured ammo is designed for economical practice. and it certainly lives up to that.

In all fairness this rifle that I used today, isn't my favorite but I have high hopes. Maybe she's mad at me because this rifle is one of the few I haven't named...yet. She no like 62gr bullets. 1-7" twist. Go figure. She sorta like 55gr but velocity and seating depth...gotta be right for her or she no-likee. 68gr, oohh, she likes a LOT. My own 55gr loads run closer to 3000 in that 16" barrel and group 2.5" at 200 yards but I didn't feel like walking that far today LOL, so I let the wife have at it. Darn near used up that whole box of 100 she did. Guess I'll have to buy more. In fact, their MSRP for this load is about $8.50 and I suspect that, knowing what the dealer price is an' all, it will be MOST competitive with other loads out there currently. Oh yeah, I was pretty happy with the groups. Wife shot consistent 2" groups all morning long.

In summary, I will be buying more Super Vel ammo for ME. I will also advise the boss he should stock MORE for the shop. If you consider that a current box of hollowpoints go for 25-30 bucks a box/20 a box of fifty 9mm SuperVel goes for $39.95 MSRP that is still a better deal and....I think the SuperVel ammo , given what I know of their bullet, is going to be a good one from the standpoint of effectiveness.

No, I have not shot any into ballistic gelatin nor will I in the near future. Since I no longer work full time at a range the opportunity for that is not available at the present time. What I do know is based on some experiences.

Anything that gets shot with a 90gr 38 bullet going 1300fps (out of a 2" !!! ) is probably gonna stay shot. Unless you shoot'em in the finger or something. Same goes for a 45/185 bullet at 1100fps or either of those 9mm loads. While I favor a bonded bullet, Gold Dot especially, most of the available loads out there today (most, not all) are pretty danged good but it seems to me, these SuperVel folks got something.

I'm a fan! (again)

Go to Top of Page

ironhead7544
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  07:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great info. Thanks dubiousone.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
916 Posts

Posted - May 14 2018 :  8:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just watched a program, on the Sportsman's Channel, where Peter was hunting Elk, in Chama New Mexico, with Steve West of Steve's Outdoors Adventures. Peter harvested a large Elk, and he did it when he was still with Cor Bon.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

agent00

Austria
168 Posts

Posted - May 18 2018 :  04:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for sharing the Infos. The super vel offerings are very interesting. To bad we won't get this stuff here in Austria. The 90 grain 9mm loads seems especially nice, these light loads are not common at least I never have seen such offerings at my local gun store.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000