Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Nostalgia
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 Nostalgia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

ajt

USA
243 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  11:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While going through some firearms the other day I came accross the first firearm that I ever owned - a Savage 4C .22 rifle (short, Long, Long Rifle) that I received for my 12th birthday. Bolt action, wooden stock, 5 shot clip and a long barrel. My father picked it for me (I had my eye on one of those new Remington semi-auto's with the nylon stock, but dad said that the bolt action was more accurare, so that what I ended up with). After a year of saving I bought a Weaver 4x "Tip Off" for it. I remeber that I could burn through the five rounds a lot faster than it took to reload them. It had a steady diet of Winchester Wildcats which were $5 a carton back then. (My friends and I earned $.25 an hour bailing hay). No one paid much attention to the seven of us carrying .22 rifles though town (population 850) (with the bolts in our pockets) or hesitated to sell us .22 ammo. The one farmer where we bailed hay let us shoot cans at the end of a field where he burned his trash - the cans were always separated from the burned trash and in a pile handy to the fallen log we placed them on. And on tree branches and behind bushes. The one rule was "NO GLASS".
When I opened the soft case the prongs from the zipper flew off from dry rot. The finish was missing from the bottom 4 - 6 inches of the stock, and the scope fell off! Well, I refinished the stock and remounted the scope, and gave it a good cleaning and lube. Couldn't find my collimator but did find a old carton of Win Wildcats, and my son dropped by to take us to the range. We couldn't get the old Weaver to sight in (you had to loosen a screw, turn the adjustment dial and then retighten the srew. Every time we would retighten the screw it would pull the crosshairs off the aiming point. We just used the open sights and it was probably the first time the rifle had been fired in 40 -50 years. Brought back alot of memories. I have to wonder if my friends are as deaf as I am now - my hearing is less than 50% with hearing aids. No one used hearing protection back then. I'm sure that contributed to it. And when one of my friends smuggled out his father's .22mag revolver and the pinned barrell fell out of it when he fired it. We were all holding our ears at the painful high pitched sound we heard with that shot! But no one ever gave a thought to hearing loss with 'just .22s"!
What was your first firearm?

Edited by - ajt on May 04 2018 2:38:03 PM

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3140 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  11:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First firearm? Interesting question... took me back.
Other than BB guns my first real gun was a Ruger Single Six Convertible
.22LR & .22 Mag). That was in 1966... before the 68 GCA... when the Gov't didn't care if a 16-year old kid had a pistol, as long as they didn't get stupid with it.... and in California no less! Rural bicycle paper route and car wash money... and I could afford to actually shoot it!

Taught me a lot about pistol shooting, which stood me in good stead during a 10-year military career. I suspect a lot of 'kids, back then, learned to shoot handguns with a Ruger Single Six.

I just wish they'd had the 'Gangsta Grip' shooting stance back then! I'd have looked sooo cool... and the ground squirrels and jackrabbits
would have appreciated it!

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

665 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  11:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember it well: Marlin Mod 60 .22 semi-auto. Boy did I do a lot of plinking back then!!

I should add, my first center fire was a 629 Classic 4". Sure is a lot of regret trading that thing off.

Edited by - ASCTLC on May 04 2018 11:56:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

retfed89
Advanced Member

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  12:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Mossberg .22 (s,l,lr) tubular magazine, I believe it was a model 416B. Had4 different. Front sight options, narrow & wide posts, dot and a circle, rear sights were the regular ramp style and a micrometer style peep sight that swung out of. The way. Used my own money, ar 13; to buy it. My friends and I ad bolt .22s. Most fun was rat shooting at the town dump at night, with flash lights taped to the barrels. Target rich environment and moving targets, Ammo was $5.00 brick of 500, hollow points preferred. After the Navy while in college traded the rifl towards a brand new Ruger ,22 standard model pistol.more than once wished I had kept that Mossberg. The Ruger got traded towards a used Ruger target pistol with a 6&7/8 inch bbl, still have it. Retfed
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34298 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  12:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remington single shot bolt action.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3140 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  1:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ASCTLC

I remember it well: Marlin Mod 60 .22 semi-auto. Boy did I do a lot of plinking back then!!

I should add, my first center fire was a 629 Classic 4". Sure is a lot of regret trading that thing off.

Weren't too shy were ya! That's a serious leap! I shot one...just a couple of rounds (it might have worked better for me with the "Gangsta Grip', but it wasn't around then)... and I then decided a M19 might be a better choice for me. Did later wind up with a very highly-customized 6.5-inch 629 Classic (built in comp) which I still have.... but a 4-inch? Wow! That's a big leap from a Marlin 60

Of course, you probably didn't shoot it as much, so the ammo costs were reasonable. I figured... had I bought the 4-inch 629... that a 50-round box would last a lifetime

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on May 04 2018 1:05:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
175 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  1:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Single shot 12 gauge...60 years ago. Of some dubious manufacture.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9574 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  3:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grew up shooting my Grandfather's Winchester 67 (not a 67A which was much more common).

I did that until I was 9 and my parents gave me a Mossberg 250 .22 auto with a 7 round box magazine - it could had a little adjuster that accepted short, long and long-rifle and it works with all of those.

I still have it.

My second gun was a Stevens 311 SXS 16 gauge when I was 14.

Still got that too.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
709 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  5:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was a teen my parents gave my brother and I each a Sears bolt action, tubular fed .22. It takes Shorts, Longs and Long Rifles. I still have mine, I believe my brother lent his to a friend and never had it returned.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5224 Posts

Posted - May 04 2018 :  7:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started with a Mossberg .410 bolt action, later 'graduated' to a unknown-make 20ga single shot. Weren't really 'my' guns, just the ones I used during dove and quail season. Then Dad came home with a Remington Wingmaster 20ga, with a Poly Choke; that was mine. I tried it, on an over-abundant population of chimney swifts as I recall, and wanted my single shot back; Dad had traded that towards the pump. I adapted, still have it.
Not long after, he came home with a Remington Model 12 .22 pump, sorta mine but everybody used it. We useta shoot walnuts off the tree with it--but it only counted to shoot the stem, never the nut. One day, when Mom was at work, Dad and I shot the clothespins off the line, got in trouble for that. Got to where he'd buy a bag of pins for those days he and I were home and Mom wasn't. She pretended not to notice the new pins every other week or so. Still got that rifle, too.
Good memories, thanks for bringing the discussion. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Steve in Michigan

USA
156 Posts

Posted - May 05 2018 :  09:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started out with a Remington Model 12 which was a tube-feed nylon stock bolt action. Then in about 1965 I bought a new Ruger 10/22 which had just come out. Unfortunately I have neither any more. Should have kept both.
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

665 Posts

Posted - May 05 2018 :  11:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

quote:
Originally posted by ASCTLC

Weren't too shy were ya! That's a serious leap! I shot one...just a couple of rounds (it might have worked better for me with the "Gangsta Grip', but it wasn't around then)... and I then decided a M19 might be a better choice for me. Did later wind up with a very highly-customized 6.5-inch 629 Classic (built in comp) which I still have.... but a 4-inch? Wow! That's a big leap from a Marlin 60

Of course, you probably didn't shoot it as much, so the ammo costs were reasonable. I figured... had I bought the 4-inch 629... that a 50-round box would last a lifetime

My rifle jump was the .22 to the 30.06. I still can't say the thump of 180 grainers is any more pleasant/tolerable than the first few times I shot it.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5134 Posts

Posted - May 05 2018 :  12:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At age 12, got a Marlin 80C bolt action .22 for Christmas. Later, when I got into high school smallbore rifle competition, it went in trade for a Winchester 52C.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

837 Posts

Posted - May 05 2018 :  1:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Near the end of my 7th grade year, our family moved from Westchester, IL (a suburb of Chicago), to Everett, WA (30 miles north of Seattle) and my life took a huge turn in terms of fun and adventure. That summer, over my mom's objections, my dad let me buy a used Remington 512 Sportmaster. Bolt action .22 with a tubular (read that as "high Capacity" magazine) and open sights. No doubt I had more pure fun with that gun than with any other that I have owned since then. Years later, I traded it for something I'm sure I couldn't live without. I wish I still had it as a reminder of my youthful days.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2249 Posts

Posted - May 05 2018 :  4:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too, still have the first gun I ever shot. A Remington single shot bolt action with the toe chipped off, Dad said never lend a gun out. I also have his Stevens pump .12 ga. that counted for a lot of rooster pheasants. Not that Dad shot it much I do not recall him ever shooting it. He was not a shooter at all, I however carried it many miles. Pheasants in the 5os and 60s were plentiful and I could walk from the house along our fence row and shoot the daily limit of two on a regular basis.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1062 Posts

Posted - May 07 2018 :  07:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At age 12 Santa Claus brought me a 12 ga. single barrel J.C. Higgins shotgun (mail ordered from Sears & Roebuck catalog by parents). They had ordered a 20 ga. but apparently that year was a sellout and the only thing available for this 12 year old was the 12 ga. I learned to hunt with that gun and took a lot of squirrels, doves, and quail with it.
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - May 08 2018 :  04:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At age 14 when I could legally go bird hunting, my dad took me to "monkey wards" and he picked out a single shot .410 shotgun. He had put into my mind that one could learn to shoot a single shot .410 full choke like a rifle then IF you wanted to go to a bigger gauge you would be a better shot all around. That is what he used growing up and I found I could shoot it quite well. At 15 we went to visit my Aunt and Uncle in So Cal at Christmas time and they hid my next gun a model 60 That I had for a very long time, stripping the stock and refinishing it. But the lure of a Ruger 10/22 was to strong and I sold it off and bought a base price version. The First gun I purchased with my own hard earned money was a Stevens 311 in 20 gauge, my best friend had one and I thought it was just what I wanted. I have given my .410 to my grandchildren, and still have the others. Sadly in the first home we bought before I could afford a safe I "hid" my guns under the stairs in the basement. We had the sewer back up and after cleaning up found that I had put the case (the soft ones with fake wool lining) with the barrel down and it had wicked up the gunk and rusted the first 3 or so inches the chokes were full and modified and they still functioned just the outside looks bad with quite a bit of pitting. I've thought about having the end cut off and have both barrels cylinder, just can't get myself to do it.
I had read everything I could get my hands on regarding left handed rifles, and in the 60's Savage was the only maker that made left handed bolts, but my dad wasn't a bolt guy. So when we came home from California just prior to the Deer hunt we drove over to the pawn shops in Seattle and found a brand new Remington 760 in 30-06 before the days of having the guns drilled and tapped for scopes. My dad knew a gunsmith in town and we bought rings that he mounted and my birthday present was a Redfield 3x9 scope. Gave that one to my left-handed daughter. She has shot more animals with that than I have, course before she lost her husband, hunting yearly was for more than just deer and elk. There was bear, antelope in more than one state, depending upon the draw of permits. Boy this has brought back a lot of memories.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Pat Taylor
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 08 2018 :  1:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stevens single shot 12ga. with the lever on the right side of the receiver. My grandfather gave it to me when I was about 12 years. My father was never really into firearms and I was pretty much on my own trying to learn what was what. I saved my pennies until I could buy a box of 25 rounds. I bought the pretty blue ones in the fancy box from Peters with the beautiful shiny brass half way up the hull.

It was several years and several more pounds of size before I wanted anything to do with shotguns again.

Also still have the shotgun.

Edited by - Pat Taylor on May 08 2018 1:19:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
831 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  08:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father surprised me, on my 8th birthday, and took me to the Corner Pool Room, in Mt. Sterling Ky, and purchased a slightly used single shot Stevens 410, with a hammer. Then we walked a few blocks away, to the local Western Auto Store, and purchased a box of shells for the 410. He gave it to me and told me to learn how to use it then gave me a safety talk. He and I went on many hunts with the 410. I can still remember that safety chat, like it was yesterday, and I still have the 410 in my safe.

At age 70 I have decided to give my gun collection away, to my kids and grandkids, so I don't know who will get the 410. I have 2 grandsons who hunt with their dads.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Pip

USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  12:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About 1953(+/-), Mossberg M#183k .410 - 3" & 2.5" shells. Still have it. All grand kids have used it. Memories . . .

Regards,

Pip
Go to Top of Page

LfiGrad

USA
86 Posts

Posted - May 11 2018 :  4:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a good report card in 4th grade, my father got me a Daisy Pump(does that count?) I could only use it under his supervision. My mother was afraid I would shoot my eye out.

When I was 12 years old, my father let me have it on my own. He made a big deal out of the responsibility he was bestowing on me and how he thought I was trustworthy. With a speech reinforcing gun safety I was handed the rifle.

On my very first day on my own with my Daisy, several of the local neighborhood boys came over with THEIR BB guns and we shot tin cans off the backyard fence.

After they left, I noticed that there was a BB hole in the window of the garage door. OMG! On my first day! I would not only lose my BB gun on the first day, but I had such a sinking feeling because of the responsibility that my father gave me, and I let him down.

AS I am staring at the BB hole in the garage door window, I notice on the ground my brother David's new basketball.

My father never gave one son something without giving something to the other.

So on the day I got unsupervised use of the BB gun, my brother got a new basketball. Well, I picked up that basketball, and threw it straight through that garage door window with the BB hole in it and the basketball tore through the entire window. Where there was once a tiny hole, there was now no window!

When my father came home, he saw that window, saw the basketball on the floor in the corner of the garage stormed into the house where he in no uncertain terms told my brother that he not only lost the basketball forever, but that his allowance would pay for that window. NO MORE BASKETBALL PLAYING IN THE BACK YARD he yelled over and over.

My BB gun however, was safe.

If my only choice was a loaded .25 or an unloaded .45, I would choose the empty .45. They both have the same stopping power, but the empty 1911 looks a lot more convincing and makes a better club.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
831 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  07:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry LfiGrad, but that was a raw deal for your brother!

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5134 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  08:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

We adapt, improvise, and overcome. Sometimes there are unintended consequences.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

LfiGrad

USA
86 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  10:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

We adapt, improvise, and overcome. Sometimes there are unintended consequences.

Jeff

Yes, it sure was. But we were just kids and we joke about it now.

If my only choice was a loaded .25 or an unloaded .45, I would choose the empty .45. They both have the same stopping power, but the empty 1911 looks a lot more convincing and makes a better club.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000