Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - slugs in a full choke
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 slugs in a full choke
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Russ Larges

USA
2235 Posts

Posted - April 02 2018 :  5:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a H&R turkey gun with what looks to be a very tight full choke tube in it, I also have a imp. tube to use. While I have heard for years that slugs should not be used in a full choke I wonder if that comes from the old pumkin ball loads. I will cut apart a foster slug and try it in the choke to see if it fits. I would not use a Brenneke slug as they are solid.
Anyone shot slugs in full choke?
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5123 Posts

Posted - April 02 2018 :  8:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have, but only on a limited basis. No apparent harm was done. However when I got the Benelli, I heard that the barrel steel was thinner and the full choke tube should not be used with slugs. So I called the Benelli service department. The rep talked around the point, clearly reluctant to say anything negative about barrel strength. But he finally allowed as how slugs through their full chokes were "probably not the not the preferred choice". So now I keep the Improved Cylinder choke tube screwed in for slugs and shoot Federal Flite Control #00 Buck to tighten the patterns. It works for me.

If I had an IC barrel for the H&R, I think that's what I would use for slugs and general purpose, preserving the extra full choke for the gobblers or long range game birds. That sounds like the best of both worlds.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

jlwilliams

USA
242 Posts

Posted - April 02 2018 :  8:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that the choke wouldn't help accuracy. I'm curious to hear how it works.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1652 Posts

Posted - April 02 2018 :  9:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Benelli states it is unsafe. I was told by a Gunsmith that on some tighter chokes it swages the soft lead in older loads to fit the barrel. Not something I would do. It is unsafe in my opinion , YMMV, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5316 Posts

Posted - April 02 2018 :  9:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was always told it will "Shoot the choke out" meaning in older barrels with fixed chokes ( NO tubes) it will open up your pattern on bird shot. I was told modified or Improved chokes was the way to go.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4160 Posts

Posted - April 03 2018 :  09:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arvinator

I was always told it will "Shoot the choke out" meaning in older barrels with fixed chokes ( NO tubes) it will open up your pattern on bird shot. I was told modified or Improved chokes was the way to go.

I opened up a full choke barrel to improved with a hone, the chromed bore was almost impossible to cut, hard to imagine a lead slug would "shoot the choke out"

manufacturers say slugs ar safe through any choke, their lawyers would be sure to let us know otherwise.

from the Brenneke web sight

"The purpose of the ribs on the outside diameter of the slug (with the exception of the 3- inch Gold Magnum/Magnum Crush and the all brass Super Sabot which are designed for rifle barrel shotguns only) allows them, unlike most competitors slugs, to be used with any choke. As the slug passes through the three constricted areas, inside of the barrel, the Forcing Cone, Inside Bore, and then the Choke, the excess lead is squeezed into the gaps between the ribs with no damage to the barrel. Somewhat better accuracy may be noted when using the more open choke - Improved Cylinder."

whether you get the best accuracy through a choked tube is another issue....

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva

USA
217 Posts

Posted - April 03 2018 :  3:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the slugs are pretty soft lead and the steel in the barrels is much harder. I think you'd have to shoot a ton of slugs to damage the barrel even in a full choked gun on those older shotguns.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

JD

USA
105 Posts

Posted - April 03 2018 :  4:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a number of boxes of Gualandi slugs loaded by Dan Arms. Excellent and accurate slug load. The boxes are marked: "For cylinder and improved cylinder barrels only.". I don't know if the limitation is due to potential accuracy issues in tighter chokes, or to avoid the potential for swaging open a tight choke....

JD
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2235 Posts

Posted - April 03 2018 :  7:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I measured the wall thickness, .120, that is a very thick barrel I doubt that it would split. I don't intend to shoot slugs very much in that light of a shotgun so I will switch to the more open choke for them. This will likely be a barn gun with the full choke screwed in.
It is a fun little shotgun and I might try it on the trap field someday.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5203 Posts

Posted - April 03 2018 :  9:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can remember being told over the years that shooting slugs, even soft Fosters, 'a lot' through a full choke could cause the steel in the barrel to stretch--lengthways, as I recall--over time. Dunno what constitutes 'a lot', but I could picture it happening. Back when I shot a lot of slugs, I recall getting less than stellar accuracy from full-choke barrels; then again, my accuracy requirements at the time was basically keeping the shots on a half sheet of typing paper ('typing paper'--see how long ago it was?) at ~25 yards. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Badge
Advanced Member

USA
1669 Posts

Posted - April 03 2018 :  11:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally would be hesitant with a " Turkey ", choke. Will a shot here and there damage it. Probable not but if you have the other choke why take the chance. Not sure if a Full choke would be as accurate as a more open one.

MSS
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000