Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Corbon .38 Spl. DPX
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Test Bed
 Corbon .38 Spl. DPX
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - March 31 2018 :  09:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I recently chronographed a box of the "new" Corbon .38 Spl. DPX (lot no. 20180101). I used an S&W Model 642, a 638, a 1975 Colt Agent and a "modern" Colt Police Positive Special. While the advertised velocity is 1050 fps from a 2" revolver, I got an average of 949 fps from the snubbies. Only two of the short barrel launched bullets broke 1000 fps of the 16 rounds fired. The extreme spread on the two S&Ws was 119 and 102 fps. The 4" Positive averaged a respectable 1105 fps. I found that reliable expansion occurred above 960 fps. I am waiting for an email back from customer service at Corbon. Any thoughts from the brain trust?

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed;
if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may
come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Winston Churchill

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5134 Posts

Posted - March 31 2018 :  10:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the report! An average velocity from the snubbies that runs below the reliable expansion threshold of the bullet doesn't sound too encouraging. Even at the advertised velocity there's not a lot of margin for error. What was the test medium for the expansion?

Please keep us posted on the company's response. It may tell us a lot about the new management and their product line going forward.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - March 31 2018 :  5:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The test medium was three plastic gallon milk jugs full of water in a row. I covered the front with two tee-shirts, an old layer of denim and a piece of sweat shirt. I call it a "hill-billy' clothing barrier. Around here, you don't get even two layers of denim in a row unless you shoot 'em through their "overhauls" pencil pocket. The bullet stopped in the third jug. It was 55 degrees F.

Wilco on the response from the "new" Corbon.

come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.”

Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - April 12 2018 :  10:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I should have know when Corbon added outlandish shipping costs to their "HERO" accounts for military and LE veterans that some negative things might be going on at the new company. Corbon emailed me on March 21 saying someone would contact me soon on my "velocity deficit" issue . After another prompt from me and a three week wait, the crickets are still chirping here in Tennessee. Quality control has definitely taken a "nose dive" from the old days. Will let you know if they do wake up and tell me they want to resolve my problem.

Until then, I am steering away from anything Corbon. Production Quality Control and Customer Service were the hallmarks of the old company. Apparently, no more.

Winston Churchill

Edited by - CW2 Ralph Long on April 12 2018 10:48:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

CW2 Ralph Long
Average Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - May 08 2018 :  12:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CW2 Ralph Long's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I met Mike Shovel at the NRA 2018 Annual Meeting in Dallas last Saturday. He is the national sales manager under the new management. He said for me to contact him this week. He said he would look into my low velocity issue with the new 2018 lot of Corbon .38 Spl. 110 gr. DPX (+P). I am hopeful I will finally get an answer as to what's going on with the "slow" DPX.

Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000