Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Ham radio
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Ham radio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5358 Posts

Posted - March 13 2018 :  10:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just ordered one. handheld with car antenna so I can hook to any vehicle as needed.

With Natural Disasters and man made problems I felt it was well past time so I can hear if we have trouble from a good distance away. Got a good size metal tin with smaller cardboard box to serve as my EMP box for it and a am/fm hand held radio and a pair of store bought walkie talkies with extra batteries.

just felt the need to get it....

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...

Vanman

USA
193 Posts

Posted - March 13 2018 :  11:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a license or are you planning to get one? It is very easy and cheap. Like shooting, radio operation is a perishable skill.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5358 Posts

Posted - March 14 2018 :  4:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to get it. A guy I work with is also a part time firefighter and he was talking about it and we live about 30 miles apart and are starting small and learning about this.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1418 Posts

Posted - March 14 2018 :  11:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arv, if you want Having had my ham license for 20+ years and being a Testor for the exam, understand that some questions are memorization like what frequency can you use. Second good part of the test is common sense. Lastly if you want an up to date test pool with ALL of the questions and ALL of the answers together go to "www.hamstudy.org " its not in test form but has all the questions in the test pool some 350-450 depending on the test (3) First test gets you the "technician" which allows you the use of the mobile and handheld radio's you were talking about. Second test "General" gives you a group of frequencies that are High Frequency or HF those radios are more expensive but allow you to talk around the world. last test "Extra" gives you the full spectrum of frequencies allowed by the FCC. The last test has the most math. Check into your area for Hams close by, to a person they want to help you get your license. You often can google ham radio clubs in xxx area or state and find someone who knows where the official test is given. You have to have someone who can test and send your test score into the FCC so that you can use your radio. Another good place to look is www.QRZ.org.
If you find a ham in the are have him help you find the frequencies that local repeaters are on, you can legally listen just not talk until you have your license. When you get your license let us know so we can see about sending you a message from time to time. There are things like "echolink" that let you use a repeater that is hooked up to it close by your home and going through the internet to another frequency to a repeater close by another ham. When we had our system set up My explorer post kids talked to hams in Ireland and Australia, as well as locations in the states. Good luck and as hams say 73 ( means best regards)

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot

232 Posts

Posted - March 15 2018 :  07:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arvinator, I suggest you visit the American Radio Relay League's website.
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

863 Posts

Posted - March 16 2018 :  12:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arv, I am a fellow HAM. I don't use my radios a lot, but I am glad that I have them. I have my General license and my wife and several of my kids have their Technician's.

Bandaidman has some great advice.

One caution I would give you...be careful about advertising your "call sign" when you get it. Anyone who knows what it is can easily look you up on the ARRL website and your home address is listed there.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot

232 Posts

Posted - March 16 2018 :  07:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good info from bandaidman and oldmuleskinner. Regarding the call sign look-ups mentioned by oldmuleskinner, there are numerous sites that allow you to look up names or call signs, to include the FCC website. Search results provide names, call signs and addresses. I mentioned this PERSEC issue a while back:

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21134

If PERSEC is a concern, you can set up a PO box and list it on your FCC application as your mailing address, and that is what will show up on the search results. You will still need to provide a physical address on your FCC application, but the mailing address is what shows up in the search results.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000