StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Elbow/Knee pads?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other
 Miscellaneous
 Elbow/Knee pads?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  2:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, a Marine Sniper is going to give a class on long range shooting at my club. He advises to bring a pair of knee pads. I though also elbow pads might be a good ideas. Anyone have any suggestions? I looked on Amazonia and there are a ton of brands/options

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus

WR Moore

USA
906 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  2:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a pair of Nike neoprene elbow pads to be very helpful in eliminating skin removal, even with a shooting jacket. They are a bot sweaty in the summer/high humidity, but the protection is worth it.

I'm a bit puzzled by the knee pads. Is he including a stalking class? I've used Wilson knee & elbow pads building tactical training. I found the elbow pads didn't do anything for me to avoid elbow scruffing from recoil. I shot f class without knee pads including a 4 x 4 600 & 1000 one day match without problems.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5346 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  3:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought some from Wal-Mart prior to my retirement. Academy Sports or other large store may have them

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3229 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  3:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think knee pads could be quite handy if you have to go from standing to kneeling, or even standing to sitting quickly. Kneeling is self-evident, but at my age... with all the creaky joints... the quickest way for me to get from standing to sitting is the "Atomic Knee Drop"... followed by the 'Extended Support Arm, Legs Kick Out, Sideways Butt Swivel'.

Of course, everyone's different. But, if that course is 'energetic' both elbow and knee pads might come in handy. If I was spending money on the course, I'd want the best stuff with me so I could get my money's worth.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Craig
Advanced Member

USA
1087 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  6:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Local sporting goods or home builder supplies, etc., have them. For skateboarders, or roof/floor installation type job work, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1666 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  6:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WR Moore

I found a pair of Nike neoprene elbow pads to be very helpful in eliminating skin removal, even with a shooting jacket. They are a bot sweaty in the summer/high humidity, but the protection is worth it.

I'm a bit puzzled by the knee pads. Is he including a stalking class? I've used Wilson knee & elbow pads building tactical training. I found the elbow pads didn't do anything for me to avoid elbow scruffing from recoil. I shot f class without knee pads including a 4 x 4 600 & 1000 one day match without problems.

Hi WR, I have not talked to the gentleman as he is active duty in another state. The guy who's organizing it told me the instructor said shooting mat, and knee pads are recommended. We have a program where members that shoot the 500 meter range must qualify. Participants in the class must be qualified on that range, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4076 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  6:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last time I had knee pads, elbow pads on WITH a helmet, was in June proving to the grandkids, that I did indeed have an original skateboard and rode it well back then. In June, I didnít embarrass myself, I did embarrass the grandkids with my skateboarding prowess-which I still retained.
This dude still abides a bit. I use Home Depot pads myself...

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
906 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  7:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW, I've found the "tactical" or construction worker (one's black, the others not) pads with the plastic shields and leg straps to be less than wonderful. I came to prefer the type that had what amounted to a sleeve you stick the limb into and no hard parts. The Nike elbow pads (mini sleeves) proved much better at eliminating friction burns than any other type. Neither type might not be as impact resistant as the manly ones, but I was never planning on slamming into hard surfaces at speed. YMMV.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34324 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  9:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
picked mine up at Home Depot and they've been fine!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000