Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - cost of a new gun
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 cost of a new gun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russ Larges

USA
2264 Posts

Posted - March 07 2018 :  4:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buying this new to me 1911 seemed to be a cheap way to use up the stock of ammo I found. NOT the case. You see as I shoot it some I get to thinking of carrying it, this brings in a whole new cost factor. A good carry holster is maybe 85.00 or so, now good magazines, Wilsons, at 35.00 a pop, four of them at least. A couple hundred rounds of HST 230 gr. Federals is around 185.00. Oh yea, I forgot the mag carrier don't know what that will cost. I won't even add in the cost of sights and beavertail safety I put on it as I would do that anyway.
When you do the math the cost of this cheap shooter is more then I paid for the gun itself.
Oh well it's only money.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1803 Posts

Posted - March 07 2018 :  8:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been known to buy a gun because I had a holster for it.

I always thought that made good financial sense!

Go to Top of Page

ajt
Average Member

USA
271 Posts

Posted - March 08 2018 :  09:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ - Wait until you come across the one that would be a great companion/back-up piece to your 'current' 1911. Then the same model in .22 to save on ammunition costs and practice more. Then ... and it starts all over again! But it is fun, and everything has its purpose! Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
887 Posts

Posted - March 09 2018 :  7:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased a new M P 2.0 9 C Pistol. I have spent for 3 holsters, and 1000 rounds of various ammo which has added up to more than I paid for the M P. I feel your pain Russ.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

Tom-R2
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  1:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ten Driver, I went out and bought a 1911 after finding a box of about 200 empty used .45 cases in the garage. Well, I figured that I already had the dies to reload them, so why not? So, I know the logic.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4958 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  2:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“The brass made me do it...”

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5302 Posts

Posted - March 11 2018 :  9:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last week or so I've been carrying the GP100 .44 5-shooter, with two speed strips, so total of 17 rounds available--plus the snub .38 BUG in the pocket--and kind of assessing the idea of 'only' five shots before reloading. Have come to the conclusion that I'm not uncomfortable with 17 rounds available, including reloads/not counting the BUG. So, conventional wisdom is that it's a good idea to have an identical second gun available, partly because it works the same as the primary, and partly because after a social situation the gendarmes will be taking your gun and holding it during the investigation.

So, I'm seriously considering the...uh...necessity of a second .44 GP; not only would I have the 'identical gun' part covered, but I'm also comfortable going all Two Gun Pete, with one on each hip, which would give me 10 shots before needing a reload. Which means at least a couple more holsters, maybe some more speed strips (already have three speed loaders, just need to figure out an easy way to carry them on the belt), more practice ammo, more carry ammo...... Ace

edit to add: It just occurred to me that it wouldn't hurt to even have a third one on hand, so when they take the one I used in the dark parking lot, I could still have both holsters filled. On top of that, I'd need two more sets of the compact wood'n'rubber Ruger grips--if I can find some--for the two new guns, so they'd both be even more identical to the original. I may need to take out a mortgage or something. Ace again

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
If pro-gunners are as murderous as anti-gunners claim, why are there so many anti-gunners still running their mouths?
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1803 Posts

Posted - March 14 2018 :  01:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, I think we would get along great!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page