Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 5 minutes?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 5 minutes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5278 Posts

Posted - February 10 2018 :  5:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll admit, this is thanks to Evan for asking what you can grab in 5 minutes and bug out with. I THOUGHT I was ready.
Today, in this cloudy/misting rain cold day I decided to spend a few minutes of my day off and simplify my plan. I also got my stuff in order and make it all under 5 minutes easy.
Part of my plan is as follows:
I open the gun safe, taped inside the door is a "Bug out list"
1) grab AR rifle. (Either Bushmaster)
2) sling Ruger 10/22 on shoulder
3) Grab Glock 21 SF with spare mag beside it
4) grab a Cold Steel fixed blade knife
5) grab the 2 Surefire flashlights on the gun safe shelf

6) grab the Sear bag from closet floor & ammo can ( 300rds .223 ball, 250 rds of .45 ball, 500 rds of .22lr ammo & 100 rds of 38 ammo)

7)Grab the big ziplog mags with Glock 45 & Ruger 22 mags
8) clip on my DSM (don't shoot me) banner AND 2 ounce can of OC spray. (Yes, we may see friendly people such as fellow cops I know or I may need to spray a small problem.

GO TO PANTRY

Soups, Tuna, canned Chili, canned meats in bag

The wife will grab her heavy duty small bag with her meds & over the counter meds. She also will grab a few clean dish towels ( multiple uses)

In the garage, we keep a refrigerator with always a extra case of bottled water. All this will go first choice to my pickup, then the wife's car second.
A long gun already in each vehicle,along with a folding shovel, a Glock field knife, a hatchet or Axe, a small tarp, para cord, a blanket in a vacuum sealed bag and pretty good first aid kit. If time allows, I'll grab the 2 bags from the car and throw in back of the truck all under the camper shell. Clothes, personal hygiene items, and small assorted items to go with. A couple times a year I pul the bag from each vehicle and go thru them. Paper towels, toilet paper, baby wipes stay in the rides also.

Practice time was easy under 5 minutes. I started in my living room chair dressed in jeans & shirt with a knife clipped in my pocket and a 38 snubbie in the other pocket. Wallet kept by the keys. phone by me at all times and charger in each vehicle IF we have phone service.

Not perfect, but better than what I had ready 3 hours ago.

Thanks Evan, your words nudged my brain and was necessary...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4575 Posts

Posted - February 10 2018 :  6:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great topic!

To which I’d add, in the off-chance that your vehicle gets disabled, or mired in traffic, or runs out of gas, or breaks down, or you’re forced to abandon it for whatever reason: a small backpack for each person in your party, light enough to carry for long distances, containing a minimalist survival kit. And good walking shoes.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on February 10 2018 6:32:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - February 10 2018 :  8:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've considered putting together some 'bug out tubs' with Rubbermaid containers. Fill them with necessities like a change of outer clothes and a pair of shoes, with two or three pairs of socks and skivvies, for me and Momma; extra ammo/magazines; some emergency rations, like protein bars and/or Ensure-type shakes; different size batteries; couple flashlights; basic first aid supplies; Moon Pies and RC Cola; comic books; some cash; maybe stick in a .22 pistol and some ammo; and so on until it's full. Color-coded, like red for 'GO NOW', blue for 'Maybe we otta hurry a bit', green for 'We know trouble is coming, let's get packed up'. If the situation is ripe for the green one, they could all be tossed into the truck or van.
After almost 40 years, I almost have Momma trained to run her gas tank on the top half; not practical to keep extra gas in her van, but spare gas could be kept nearby to throw in the back when we have to go. I keep a five-gallon container in the back of my pick-up as a normal thing, rotate it out when the lawn mower needs filled.
Then again, we don't really have a place to 'bug out' to, so we'd have to decide where we're going. But hopefully it would be an adventure. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

LfiGrad

USA
72 Posts

Posted - February 11 2018 :  12:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just one thing.. There are many threads here on bugout bags and all the goodies you guys put in them. But one thing I never see mentioned is a SPARE set of eyeglasses. IMHO its one of the most important things you can take. (if you wear glasses, of course)

If my only choice was a loaded .25 or an unloaded .45, I would choose the empty .45. They both have the same stopping power, but the empty 1911 looks a lot more convincing and makes a better club.
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
158 Posts

Posted - February 11 2018 :  09:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Believe me, at the age of 70 I understand your systems and practice. My only "ready" bag is in each vehicle. It is to get me back to the safest place any of us could be..The Battery Oaks..my home. The compound. There is no place I could bug out to that would be safer or better to defend from. My only problem is that I wish all you good men could get here when the time comes. I'm bugging "in".

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4575 Posts

Posted - February 11 2018 :  12:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So... if ‘push comes to shove’: how many of us could you accomodate?

And: can I submit my reservation now?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on February 11 2018 1:19:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
764 Posts

Posted - February 11 2018 :  3:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billy, not sure I am going to be bugging out as well. At this time, I am having trouble walking across the room, but that will be remedied soon(5th Mar) left, August Right, I pray.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000