Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 1911 .45 mags
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 1911 .45 mags
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajt
Average Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - January 23 2018 :  10:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody remember Essex Firearms, possibly from the late 60's early 70's era? I was living in Indiana at the time and the LGS where I bought my first .45 (an AMT Combat Government Model) got me about a dozen spare mags that he said were from Essex and that he sold to me for $5 each. They were 7 rounders, flat stainless steel finish, and I let a half dozen go with the AMT when I sold it. I still use the rest in my Springfield and Ruger .45s. Their website indicated they were moving and there is a line showing that stated something about Iver Johnson - don't know if there was any affiliation there. I use MecGars and Shooting Star mags now, also have a few Wilson Roger mags and a friend told me that Wilson or some one else had bought out McCormick - don't know that for a fact. Just looking for that elusive bargain quality mag - just picked up a half dozen McCormicks from a net ad a couple of weeks ago. My son and I plan to run them through a couple of guns this week. Don't doubt that they will function properly but I like to know that for a fact before depending on any mag.

Edited by - ajt on January 23 2018 10:41:02 AM

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4076 Posts

Posted - January 23 2018 :  10:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Itís on the Wilson website. They announced they purchased McCormick mags

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
175 Posts

Posted - January 23 2018 :  1:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of the first Detonics were built on Essex frames. I had an early one. At the SOF show in Charlotte about '82-83 I found it on a table and went and got the Detonics Factory Rep to come look at it. He said it was indeed an early gun and that if I bought it he would take it back to the factory and have all the newer mods done to it. I did, he did and it shot great. Wow a mere 35 years ago.....wish I knew what I did with that thing.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

ajt
Average Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - January 24 2018 :  08:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I didn't know that about Essex frames. There's a lot of things that I didn't know about firearms until I read about it on this forum. I'm rarely in a position to add any knowledge but everyone has been very helpful when I've had a firearm problem. I've been going through my inventory and sorting out anything that has ever given me a problem for replacement, repair, or elimination if another item(s) can serve the same purpose. The Essex mags have been in use for well over thirty years and are still functioning 100%. Wish I had kept all of them. I also had a couple Pachmayr .45 mags at that time, which would feed and chamber empty cases. Going through everything is a trip down memory lane.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9611 Posts

Posted - May 10 2018 :  08:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first "1911" I ever built from the ground up was on an Essex frame with a 4 digit serial number - it took a LOT of fitting - the thumb safety hole was a bit off but I finally made it work - I still have the gun today.

They got better I hear after that and I've seen and shot quite a few guns made on the frame - I have a much later one that I bought as a .22 with a European conversion on it that looks like the Marvel and Pachmayr units - it works fine and is more accurate than my Colt units.

I also built one of the first stainless guns on a Crown City Stainless frame and slide (I think they had a connection to Essex) - the serial number on that one was around 500 - In a fit of insanity I traded it off to a good friend.

I don't know anything about the mags alas.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

ironhead7544
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts

Posted - May 10 2018 :  08:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont know about the mags, but IIRC, essex was the first frame widely available. I built up a number of them.

Some were off a little bit but I got them all to work.

Frankly, I would not buy any cheap 1911 mags.
Go to Top of Page

ajt
Average Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - May 12 2018 :  09:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crown City Arms - Now there's another name that I haven't heard in a long time! I spent four of the coldest snowiest years of my life in Syracuse, New York, back in the early eighties. They were in Cortland, or Binghamton at that time - I forget which. I used to get BHP mags from them for $5 each, and they even had the fine line of print stamped on the side along the back edge, just like the factory mags, but sold for a lot less than Browning factory mags. They were absolutely reliable too. Still have some of them and two -20 or 21 rd mags (I forget which they were and haven't used them in a long time). They carried a lot of .45 parts, which I think was their main business at the time, as well as other mail order parts and accessories. As I recall, they started to sell firearms retail and went out of business within a couple of years. They had a table at the annual gun show in Syracuse every year and I would place an order with them the week before and pick it up at the show to save shipping. They made the offer, and I remember them as a good group of guys. Not that uncommon among gun people.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9611 Posts

Posted - May 13 2018 :  10:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ajt

Crown City Arms - Now there's another name that I haven't heard in a long time! I spent four of the coldest snowiest years of my life in Syracuse, New York, back in the early eighties. They were in Cortland, or Binghamton at that time - I forget which. I used to get BHP mags from them for $5 each, and they even had the fine line of print stamped on the side along the back edge, just like the factory mags, but sold for a lot less than Browning factory mags. They were absolutely reliable too. Still have some of them and two -20 or 21 rd mags (I forget which they were and haven't used them in a long time). They carried a lot of .45 parts, which I think was their main business at the time, as well as other mail order parts and accessories. As I recall, they started to sell firearms retail and went out of business within a couple of years. They had a table at the annual gun show in Syracuse every year and I would place an order with them the week before and pick it up at the show to save shipping. They made the offer, and I remember them as a good group of guys. Not that uncommon among gun people.

Binghamton sounds familiar but it has been so long I cannot say.

I know that gun went together good and I put in low mounted "melted" micros and checkered the front strap (my first attempt at that) - I was a great gun and I wish I had it back!

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000