Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Springfield Fever...again
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Precision Battle Rifle
 Springfield Fever...again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9465 Posts

Posted - January 12 2018 :  11:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to find sporterized Springfields really cheap and as often as not I would buy one in good shape that was a good deal. I've never been disappointed in one.

At some point I figured I had enough. Now I will not "butcher" a nice military gun that is a piece of history but I have not reservations about buying one that is already done. I have found them to be great shooters.

I once bought one from a pawn shop that I could not see down the bore, but I had a handful of brand new barrels in the shop in the wrapper so I wasn't too afraid.

Sure 'nuff when I ran a patch through the bore there was a bulge right about in the middle. I thought "oh well let's try it". I shot some handloads through it at 100 yards after slapping on a 4X scope (it was drilled and tapped) - the first 3 shots went into 1/3" and I quit rather than mess up the group with slopping trigger (I didn't even have sandbags just shooting of a piece of wood with my hat on it).

I save that group and put it in my badge case but somehow lost track of it over the years.

So earlier this week on my gun shop prowl I ran into a Sedgley Springfield that was pretty cheap considering. I only know enough about Sedgleys to be dangerous so I did not buy it but after some research I might go back.

Anyway that reminded me that last week I ran into a really nice sporter at a gun show at the table of a friend whom I have do most of my machining and threading. I passed on it at the time but it really was a nice job (not his work, he had picked it up somewhere).

So yesterday, being able to resist anything but temptation, I dropped by his shop and bought it.

Really nice old school work. A Bishop stock with a nice horn forend and grip cap, glass bedded, through bolts to prevent the stock from cracking and old style sling swivel base. Alas those type swivels are hard to find so some later owner installed Uncle Mikes detachable studs but did them in the existing mount holes so no damage is done - if I can find the old style swivels I'll replace those with screws.

Nifty gun. We are having an Ice storm so I won't get to shoot it for a while.

...I can also hear that Sedgley calling me....

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5082 Posts

Posted - January 12 2018 :  3:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope it's still there when you go back.... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - January 12 2018 :  4:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Sedgley ......I would get my money out real quick, depending on the price of course, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9465 Posts

Posted - January 14 2018 :  11:47:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi, Sedgley ......I would get my money out real quick, depending on the price of course, regards, Mike

I think it is reasonable, I just saw one I was watching in similar shape go for $1100 on Gunbroker. That was pretty cheap I thought.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - January 14 2018 :  8:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, the few I've seen have been 2+ times that, but real beauties, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000