Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Pre-War FN High Power
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 Pre-War FN High Power
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - December 07 2017 :  1:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I recently picked up a High Power with a shoulder stock. This is the leather holster with a attached wooden shoulder piece. It is legal and considered a C&R and would be a nice truck gun if it wasn't so rare. It has a tangent sight marked out to 500 meters . It shoots good and will try long distance once spring arrives, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2938 Posts

Posted - December 07 2017 :  2:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice find! Maybe a bit too rare for a 'truck gun'... since if you ever have to use it you might lose it. The 500 meter tangent sight is a 'bit optimistic'... but those older High Powers are remarkably nice guns.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4374 Posts

Posted - December 07 2017 :  4:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What’s the drop of a 9mm from a pistol barrel at 500 meters?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on December 07 2017 4:36:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2938 Posts

Posted - December 07 2017 :  5:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

What’s the drop of a 9mm from a pistol barrel at 500 meters?

A really BIG BUNCH... unless, of course, if you are shooting Plus-P loads. Then, it's still a BIG BUNCH... but not as much of a BIG BUNCH

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - December 07 2017 :  11:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I measured the rear sight notch to the bottom of the sight and got about.026" set at pistol range. I then slid it up to the 500m mark and measured almost a .05" from the top of the slide to the bottom of the rear sight notch. I used a caliper and it was a little hard so I may be off. What I did notice that the front sight is really cocked upward even though the rear sight only comes up a .05". We used to shoot at a man sized steel plate at 100 yrds. and it rang solidly with 115 gr 9mm.
I think the WWII load was 124gr.so that would change the trajectory, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.17seconds. Snitz Forums 2000