Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 870 Detachable Magazine
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 870 Detachable Magazine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - December 05 2017 :  11:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Remington is bringing out a magazine fed 870. It's a six round magazine. Since my 870 holds 8 I don't see the point but this I'm sure will be a good seller, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - December 06 2017 :  09:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just noticed this myself. I've seen other 870 knock offs with a box mag.

They look awful unhandy to me and would complicate and slow down a "change to slug".

However a friend pointed out that in his state you cannot legally carry a shotgun or rifle in the car with ammo in it and so it would be a benefit.

I suppose they will have to make a 2 round mag as well so that it would be legal for hunting.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - December 06 2017 :  11:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim, they are making a 3 round magazine, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - December 06 2017 :  1:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember the Rem 9MM pistol they shipped knowing it had problems and the pump action .223 rifle that used AR mags that didn't work? I would not buy anything from Remington or even take it as a gift!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2936 Posts

Posted - December 06 2017 :  1:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

Remember the Rem 9MM pistol they shipped knowing it had problems and the pump action .223 rifle that used AR mags that didn't work? I would not buy anything from Remington or even take it as a gift!

+1. Remington does seem to have a somewhat checkered reputation for quality control since it was taken over by Freedom Group.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - December 07 2017 :  10:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi Jim, they are making a 3 round magazine, regards, Mike

I wonder why? That would be illegal for hunting birds in nearly all states - the gun cannot hold more than 3 rounds total including one in the chamber.

Just curious. I guess you could block it to hold just 2.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - December 07 2017 :  12:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Jim I think 3 is legal, maybe depends on State but the US Duck regulations specify a magazine not over 3 with or without plug, regards, Mike.

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - December 07 2017 :  12:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Total of three rounds in the gun, including chamber and magazine, for migratory birds. Another Fed .gov thing. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - December 07 2017 :  1:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Total of three rounds in the gun, including chamber and magazine, for migratory birds. Another Fed .gov thing. Ace

Hi Ace, yes I'm wrong. I'm not sure why Remington has a 3 round magazine unless it for convience. They are going to sell this in a full stocked version so it would not be legal for hunting, ducks. I don't think this is the intended market. I went over to Remington and it says 3 and 6 round magazine. Nice catch Jim and ace, regards, Mike

Go to Top of Page

docglock
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - December 07 2017 :  1:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To my understanding, they have it designed so that a mag can only be inserted with the action open; therefore, it can only hold a max of 3 rounds with the 3 round mag (can't do 3 + 1). I half-way watched their web presentation and think that's how they explained it.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4989 Posts

Posted - December 07 2017 :  2:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by docglock

To my understanding, they have it designed so that a mag can only be inserted with the action open; therefore, it can only hold a max of 3 rounds with the 3 round mag (can't do 3 + 1). I half-way watched their web presentation and think that's how they explained it.

So am I getting that the mags don't hold any more rounds than a mag tube extension and you can only top off, reload, or change mags if the gun is effectively empty?? And then there's the question of bulk and balance with a full mag hanging down.

I don't get it. Unless Management is feeling the pressure to keep up with the Saigas.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

jlwilliams

USA
238 Posts

Posted - December 08 2017 :  08:08:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like tacticool marketing to me and I'm sure they will sell a bunch of them. I would rather have an equivalent dollar value in ammo.

A few years ago I picked up a used 870p in great shape with the 18" barrel and mag tube, a side saddle and a sling. Didn't take long to decide it needed nothing more. The whole rig all set up cost me about three hundred bucks. I've seen better shotguns for three times the money, but none better for less. Sometimes I wish it had wood instead of plastic but I've never wished it had a big box hanging off the bottom.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2936 Posts

Posted - December 08 2017 :  09:24:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Designing the magazines to require the gun be empty and slide back before inserting makes no tactical sense. Why design a system that requires the gun to be empty before reloading/topping off?

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2234 Posts

Posted - December 08 2017 :  11:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given that the original tube mag holds 7-9 rds the this just makes the piece more cumbersome. I'll take the skinny version.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2936 Posts

Posted - December 08 2017 :  1:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GW... I'm not sure I understand your above post.
You can load a magazine with the bolt forward, but only if the chamber is empty? If I understand that correctly it still means an empty gun load/reload.

How do you top off a partially expended magazine with that?

How would you quickly change from buck to slugs, without having the clear the gun?

I can understand the advantages with the magazine system in completely clearing the gun with less possibility for a ND.

But, I don't understand how this is a superior system to the extended tubular magazine.

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2936 Posts

Posted - December 08 2017 :  5:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. That clears up my earlier misconceptions.

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

retfed89
Advanced Member

USA
1638 Posts

Posted - December 09 2017 :  12:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure I'd want a detachable magazine 870. My 870 has a slug barrel, rifle sights and was bought used from the Kittery Trading Post in Maine almost 40 years ago. Was the only personally owned log gun we could carry on the job. Very well made and fitted.
Went through a Maine State Police shotgun course and found out could hit targets consistently at 75 and 100 yds with it. 5 round sleeve on the stock and 24 round bandalier were always with it It held 4 in the tube. Never felt undergunned with, functions and handles smoothly. I guess I am very old school as to what I want in a 12 guage. Maybe if I were a hard charging young guy on an entry team I'd want big magazine/double tube magazine super blaster.:-) Retfed
P.S. saw all kinds of deer when working, but never seemed to see one during hunting season. It could be used for recreational puposes too! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1603 Posts

Posted - December 09 2017 :  09:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi retfed89, when you mention Kittery you reminded me of Kenneth Roberts and his great series of novels, including Northwest Passage and Arundel. Just so were still on topic; I don't see a need for a box magazine. I also believe this will hinder the balance and make things more complicated. You can simply and easily change shells if you decide you need a slug with the normal magazine. YMMV, regards, Mike

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - December 09 2017 :  09:48:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The young pups always want something new. BTDT? Don't matter, that old stuff doesn't work anymore; too many new titles for old methods, which makes it all more efficient or something. I'm trying to imagine some improvement with the new design, only thing that even comes close is carrying a lot of mags for spare ammo---oh, wait, isn't there something out there already, called a 'bandoleer'?

retfed, just in case you weren't aware, deer read the hunting regulations too. They know the dates. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

retfed89
Advanced Member

USA
1638 Posts

Posted - December 09 2017 :  11:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uncle Mike, read Robert,s series also, really enjoyed them.
I also think balance and handeling would be altered negatively. Mine shoulders smoothly, tracks nicely and never got hung up exiting a vehicle. Mine was made when Remington made quality firearms. I will not sell it, but pass it on, Should work for 3 or 4 more generations!
Ace I believe you are right about the deer knowing the dates.;b Retfed

Edited by - retfed89 on December 09 2017 11:36:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

docglock
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - December 09 2017 :  4:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you go to Remington's site and play the presentation, skip ahead to 26 minutes and they explain the magazines. The 6 round can be loaded 6+1. The 3 round mag is designed differently and cannot be loaded 3+1. If it has 3 in it, the action must be open. If it has 2 in it, it doesn't matter if the action is open or closed. I'm just repeating what Remington says.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3983 Posts

Posted - December 10 2017 :  04:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the three round magazine is designed so the follower bottoms out fully loaded, there is not room to insert the magazine with the bolt forward.

this limits the gun to 3 rounds for hunting and allows the hunter to reload with a full 3 rounds rather than be liimited to a 2 round reload (a 2 round magazine would require the hunter to remove and top off the magazine after chambering a round to bring capacity up to a full 3 rounds)

I assume that's been explained to fish & game......

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.31seconds. Snitz Forums 2000