StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - front sight confusion
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 front sight confusion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Russ Larges
Moderator

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - December 05 2017 :  08:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, now that I have one of these old guns how do I know if the sight tenon is wide or narrow or is it the Springfeild special? This is for a Springfeild 1911 A1.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

Jim Higginbotham
Moderator

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - December 05 2017 :  09:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on the model I think.

I think you said yours was a "Mil Spec" but a mill spec has really nice fixed sights (the front is 1/8" wide and about .18" high).

OTOH the "G.I." model had the little old 1911a1 sights.

I've had some early S.A. 1911a1 models (they were not stamped "G.I.") and they had the standard narrow tenon.

But that might have changed when they brought out the the "Mil-spec" and started stamping them "G.I."

I've read that they have a .080 tenon which is called "medium" I think.

The only way to know for sure is take off the sight and measuring the tenon (you can get it off with a Dremal ball or bullet grinder to grind off the rivet then take a pair of Vice-grips and pull it out - there will be enough tenon to measure left.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges
Moderator

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - December 05 2017 :  10:04:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would guess this is the GI model as it has the small GI type sights.
Thanks
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - December 05 2017 :  10:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Larges

OK, now that I have one of these old guns how do I know if the sight tenon is wide or narrow or is it the Springfeild special? This is for a Springfeild 1911 A1.
Russ



Hi Russ, what are you trying to do? are you planning on replacing the front sight? , regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges
Moderator

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - December 05 2017 :  7:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Larges

OK, now that I have one of these old guns how do I know if the sight tenon is wide or narrow or is it the Springfeild special? This is for a Springfeild 1911 A1.
Russ



Hi Russ, what are you trying to do? are you planning on replacing the front sight? , regards, Mike






Well, I don't know just what I will do, it depends on how I like the gun. If it turns out to be a keeper I will change out sights and put a beaver tail grip safety on it along with a commander hammer.
I suppose the cost then could equal a better grade gun and that might be the way to go. Too many options, boggles my mind.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - December 05 2017 :  9:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Russ, less is more,.......Really, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham
Moderator

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - December 06 2017 :  09:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ;

If you decide you like it then just send me the slide if you decide to put on the sights and I'll take off the old and measure the tenon. It is likely I have the correct front sight in here in my parts but if not I'll order one and install it for you.

Likely you will have to file it to zero it but I guarantee it will not shoot loose.

I own you a favor (remember the .350 Rem Mag brass).

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly
Junior Member

USA
125 Posts

Posted - December 08 2017 :  2:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JH.....a class act!

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges
Moderator

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - December 09 2017 :  8:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

Russ;

If you decide you like it then just send me the slide if you decide to put on the sights and I'll take off the old and measure the tenon. It is likely I have the correct front sight in here in my parts but if not I'll order one and install it for you.

Likely you will have to file it to zero it but I guarantee it will not shoot loose.

I own you a favor (remember the .350 Rem Mag brass).

Jim H.



Gee, that was some time ago. Thank you for the offer, I will keep it in mind.
Russ


The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.36seconds. Snitz Forums 2000