Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Bullet Proof Feral Cat
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 Bullet Proof Feral Cat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
125 Posts

Posted - November 30 2017 :  5:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lost a large range duck to something Monday night. All evidence points to a coyote. We put out an immediate death warrant on all strays and feral cats.
We caught a cat that weighed almost 15 pounds in a trap and decided to dispatch it. Shot it front on center of chest from 1 foot. He turned and went to the back of the cage..unaffected. I then shot him from the side behind his front leg...turned and went to the other end of the cage..unaffected. Shot him in the top of the head, he went straight down but was still breathing and moving around. Once more in the head, everything stopped. Shot him 3 more times for information.
Gun was a Ruger LCP..ammo 95 grain Lawman ball..distance 1 foot or less. Not a single projectile went through and exited.
Not one round went through

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!

ASCTLC

638 Posts

Posted - November 30 2017 :  6:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Shot him 3 more times for information". Just wouldn't spill the beans huh?
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - November 30 2017 :  6:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scary anecdote, but makes me fear for those who think baby .380's are 'enough gun'. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - November 30 2017 :  7:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Billy, I have noticed that sometimes FMJ auto pistol rounds aren't as effective as the good o'le lead revolver rounds, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

hopleyyeaton

USA
104 Posts

Posted - November 30 2017 :  7:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it was from the same gang as Deputy25's possum.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - November 30 2017 :  10:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't shoot animals with small caliber & ball ammo. Only lets a animal suffer. I have personally killed animals who needed to be destroyed with a .22 and they always seemed to work fine.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
125 Posts

Posted - December 01 2017 :  06:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ASCTLC

"Shot him 3 more times for information". Just wouldn't spill the beans huh?

Now that right there...that's funny. Don't care where you come from.

Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
125 Posts

Posted - December 01 2017 :  06:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arvinator

I don't shoot animals with small caliber & ball ammo. Only lets a animal suffer. I have personally killed animals who needed to be destroyed with a .22 and they always seemed to work fine.

Arv, last night my wife shot an even bigger cat from 30 yards away with her 10/22 and CCI MiniMags. DRT!!! One shot. So, less shots, more info.

Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3742 Posts

Posted - December 01 2017 :  12:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've learned that cats die hard. Especially with head shots. They seem to go spastic.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2937 Posts

Posted - December 01 2017 :  2:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last feral cat I shot (of the many I have removed from the state forest I live in... seems to be a popular spot for dropping off unwanted pets)...... was a few days ago. 15 yards, EDC, one round Speer 124+P... Bang/Flop. Center mass hit.

Others, in my backyard, were Bang/Flop with a shoulder hit with a .22LR. CCI's Segmented load (the old Quik-Shok) does nice things.

When I first moved up to this couple acres in the forest about 17 years ago the place was over run with feral cats. You never saw cottontail rabbits, quail or turkeys (feral cats get the poults). Someone (I have no idea who.. insert Smiley here) began eliminating them.

Now I have rabbits and quail wandering through my backyards. Even seen some turkeys. Never saw those when the feral cats over ran the place. Native critters got a break.

I'm not a big cat fan. I consider them snakes with fur. Bang/Flop seems like a logical solution on feral cats.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - December 01 2017 :  4:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my kid days, we lived way back off the road, and butt-head people would frequently dump cats and they'd end up in our barn. No problem, when there were enough rats and mice; when those were all gone, you wind up with starving cats and fewer rabbits and birds. One of my sad duties then was to thin down the cat population to just a couple--preferably toms--to keep around the barn. Usually a .22 in the head, if they were close enough; through the ribs at longer ranges. I wasn't fond of killing them, but because people are stupid, it had to be done. More humane than letting them starve. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4365 Posts

Posted - December 02 2017 :  09:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where I live, feral cats, dogs, and pigs are rarely seen.

But feral humans.... I spot ‘em all the time....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on December 02 2017 09:23:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - December 02 2017 :  10:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sorta like cats and typically I don't shoot them but I do understand how much damage a feral cat can do to the rabbit, squirrel and quail population - and probably even turkeys.

When I worked for the feds we had a vulture infestation and were not allowed by law to shoot them but the Dept. of Agriculture has a "SWAT" team that is allowed to deal with them.

The guy who came was really neat. He was a gun guy and very knowledgeable. On of the guns he had in the truck was a suppressed Ruger 10-22.

I asked him what it sounded like and he said: "It goes MMMEEEOOOOWWWWW!"

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.2seconds. Snitz Forums 2000