Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - got one
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The 1911
 got one
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  07:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I found one, a Springfeild millspec in like new condition. I got it with six magazines and a old hunter holster for what I thought was a very good price. It has the cute tiny sights that I can hardly see but since it is to be a range gun they might work for a while. When I got it home I put a dab of white fingernail on the front sight, which really helped, and then built a speed bump with gorilla tape, that stuff is great, as dry firing with a high thumb did not always press the grip safety.
It's kinda cold here and deer season is still open so I wont get to shoot is for abit as my berm is to close to the deer blind.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1605 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  11:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Russ, congrats on the new pistol. I've found that Springfield grip safety is helped by replacing the sear spring underneath the grip strap. I have also have bent the leafs slightly to give a more positive contact. I much prefer a new Wolff spring, YMMV. How's the trigger? regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  11:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi Russ, congrats on the new pistol. I've found that Springfield grip safety is helped by replacing the sear spring underneath the grip strap. I have also have bent the leafs slightly to give a more positive contact. I much prefer a new Wolff spring, YMMV. How's the trigger? regards, Mike

I think the trigger is quite good, but I am comparing it to a glock. Hope to shoot it soon.
Russ

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  1:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just about ANY trigger is good when compared to a Glock.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  2:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one, wearing it today to the deer woods this afternoon on wife's uncles farm.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - November 28 2017 :  6:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I put four mags through it today, four failures to feed with two of the mags, maybe three mags. The only one that worked was one of the factory mags. This was with both factory hard ball and my handloads with 200 gr. semiwadcutters. I will mark each mag to keep track of which ones don't work. On the bright side I hit what I aimed at with all but one round. It sure is different then my Glocks, fun but different.
Russ

Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1605 Posts

Posted - November 28 2017 :  10:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Russ, I one magazine worked then you know what the problem is, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - November 29 2017 :  06:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Russ, I personally like Wilson's mags first, then Chip McCormicks. I use factory ball for break in, then pick 100-150 rds of jhp that run flawless and go with it. In my Springfield I tried & settled with WWB 230 jhp's and my Remington stainless R1 (not the enhanced version) I tried & settled with Federal "Train & protect" 230 jhps.

Not as good as HST or Gold Dots I'm sure but will still urge the boogerman to leave me alone. IF I am carrying my 1911 in area I feel I may really need it then a rifle will already be in my hands.

I also lube with Mobil One...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000