Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Guns Are Dangerious
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 Guns Are Dangerious
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pop Pop

USA
687 Posts

Posted - November 25 2017 :  3:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to WATE –

TELLICO PLAINS, Tenn – Police say two people were accidentally shot at a church in Tellico Plains Thursday afternoon during a discussion about the recent church shooting in Texas.

The Tellico Plains Police Department says elder members of First United Methodist Church were meeting for a Thanksgiving dinner around 1 p.m. and began discussing the Texas shooting when someone asked if anyone brought a gun to their church.

A man spoke up and said he carries his everywhere he goes. He pulled the gun out, emptied the magazine and chamber, and then started passing the gun around.

Once the gun came back around to its owner, police say the man put the magazine back in and recharged the chamber, but accidentally squeezed the trigger. The gun went off, hitting himself in the hand and his wife in the abdomen.

Both were taken to UT Medical Center by helicopter for non-life threatening injuries. Their names have not been released.

Nearby schools were briefly put on lockdown during the initial investigation. The lockdown was lifted once the scene was cleared.

Share this:

Accidents can happen in the blink of an eye. Be careful guys.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on November 25 2017 3:37:40 PM

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - November 25 2017 :  3:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to remember to NOT pass your personal firearms around, especially at church meetings....

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 25 2017 :  5:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guns are inanimate objects.... people are dangerous...

The Washington Post writeup described the incident like this:

”About 20 elderly people sat down for an early Thanksgiving meal Thursday at a church in East Tennessee, unaware that the pleasant afternoon would take a grim turn.

During their meal, they decided to discuss gun safety in light of recent mass shootings — an idea that came to them after a neighboring county’s sheriff’s department chose to hold similar seminars at its local churches, said Tellico Plains Police Chief Russ Parks.

“Well, I’ve got my gun on me,” an 81-year-old member of First United Methodist Church in Tellico Plains said, according to Parks, whose department investigated the incident. He pulled out his holster, which held a .38-caliber Ruger handgun. He removed the magazine, cleared the chamber and showed the gun to the other parishioners. They talked about how to safely bring guns to church — and how sad it was that so many people nationwide had been killed in recent mass shootings.

The 81-year-old man put the magazine back into the gun and put the gun back in the holster, Parks said. Later, while people were cleaning up, a church member who had missed the demonstration asked to see the weapon.

Just as he was about to show it to the church member, the man accidentally pulled the trigger without realizing the gun was loaded.

A bullet fired across the palm of the 81-year-old’s hand and toward his 80-year-old wife, who was sitting in a wheelchair next to him. It ripped through her lower left abdomen, out the right side of her abdomen, into her right forearm and out the backside of her forearm. The bullet then struck the wall and ricocheted, landing under the wife’s wheelchair, Parks said.“

Is it a good thing that people are starting to carry their guns to church? That all depends on the people...

The WaPo reporter who wrote this story, if he or she is like most MSM ‘journalists’, probably doesn’t know a lot about guns. How does someone “accidentally” pull the trigger of a gun he’s holding in his hand? How could he have “not realized” the gun was loaded? Old-age-related forgetfulness?

One thing for sure, anyone who doesn’t know the basic rules of gun safety oughtn’t be giving any public “demonstrations”!

All guns are always loaded.

Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on November 25 2017 5:46:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

silverback

USA
79 Posts

Posted - November 25 2017 :  5:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When asked if you have a gun the answer should be NO.Other than my work partner no one else at work new i carried three guns on duty.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 25 2017 :  5:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let’s just hope this elderly gentleman doesn’t run into a shyster lawyer— (I know, Chris, I realize I’m being redundant when I use the term “shyster lawyer” )— who will rush to assure him that clearly, the main blame here falls on Ruger, who made this dangerous gun...

I don’t recall who first said it, but the truth is:

Yes, guns are “dangerous”... that’s why we carry them....

and folks who don’t realize that, probably shouldn’t...

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on November 25 2017 5:32:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - November 25 2017 :  6:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the rare occasion the subject comes up, I don't volunteer my carrying/not carrying. If somebody asks a direct question, I try to be Clintonesque--'I don't think I should need a gun to go to church/out to dinner with friends/whatever'. If they ask if I'm carrying a gun, I tell them no---I very seldom carry -a- gun. At choir practice some time back, there was a faint clunking sound when I plopped down in a folding chair. One of the ladies said 'Yep, he's packing tonight.' I told her 'No, I'm not packing; that's just my PDA.' (Not packing because I wasn't going on a trip; PDA=Personal Defense Accessory.)

Sad for the old guy in the story, and his wife, but he had no business A)telling anybody, and B)pulling it out to show anybody. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  06:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look on the positive side of this -- it was an excellent lesson on gun safety for his fellow church members

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4992 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  08:22:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder how much this event will impede some churches from adopting effective armed security measures.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  08:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

Look on the positive side of this -- it was an excellent lesson on gun safety for his fellow church members

Yeah boy, talk about a lesson no one there is likely to forget any time soon.... he really went all-out to drive his point home.... I hereby nominate him for Gun Safety Teacher of the Year Award.

Edited by - LittleBill on November 26 2017 08:47:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  08:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

I wonder how much this event will impede some churches from adopting effective armed security measures.

Jeff

I think it provides a great ‘counter-balance’. Chris’s post is funny, but he’s right: there’s an important lesson there. Armed security is nothing to be taken lightly.

Edited by - LittleBill on November 26 2017 08:51:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

638 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  08:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that old fool is to gun safety instructor what obama was to gun salesman.
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
125 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  09:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well at least we now have another bit of info on the penetration powers of a .380.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2234 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  10:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) My thought was what model Ruger .38 takes a magazine?

2) Typical of the Lamestream Media, it probably was a .380.

3) If guns weren't dangerous they would be useless.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  11:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess mainstream media reporters provide a good example that something can be both useless and dangerous at the same time...

Edited by - LittleBill on November 26 2017 11:43:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  11:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

On the rare occasion the subject comes up, I don't volunteer my carrying/not carrying. If somebody asks a direct question, I try to be Clintonesque--'I don't think I should need a gun to go to church/out to dinner with friends/whatever'. If they ask if I'm carrying a gun, I tell them no---I very seldom carry -a- gun. At choir practice some time back, there was a faint clunking sound when I plopped down in a folding chair. One of the ladies said 'Yep, he's packing tonight.' I told her 'No, I'm not packing; that's just my PDA.' (Not packing because I wasn't going on a trip; PDA=Personal Defense Accessory.)

Sad for the old guy in the story, and his wife, but he had no business A)telling anybody, and B)pulling it out to show anybody. Ace

I work part-time at a daytime drop-in shelter for the homeless. I carry, but in a deep-concealment mode: one P938 w/ 7-rd mag in a back-pocket 'wallet' holster, another in an ankle holster.

So far none of the staff has tumbled to the fact that I'm carrying, but one of our 'guests' did notice that strange proturbence on my ankle. He assumed it was an 'ankle bracelet' like parolees wear, and I did nothing to disabuse him of that notion....

Go to Top of Page

jlwilliams

USA
238 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  1:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good on him for carrying a gun. Bad on him for failing to keep his mouth shut. I hope his example encourages more armed, good people to keep their yaps shut.
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1683 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  3:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, guns aren't sold with a feature that improves the intelligence and sense of the owner.

This is one of those examples that makes all responsible gun carriers cringe.

I support any law abiding citizen's RKBA, but the sad truth is that some of them probably shouldn't, even though they can.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  6:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The city I'm close to used to not ban people going about stark naked. One of those 'some of them probably shouldn't, even though they can' examples.
The city parents (can't say 'city fathers' anymore) passed an ordnance banning nudity a couple years ago; maybe city parents could pass laws that only smart people can have a gun..... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  7:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess for a nudist, it’s all open carry....

And depending on what they look like, there’s still a chance nobody will notice the gun...

Edited by - LittleBill on November 26 2017 8:06:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  7:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

Unfortunately, guns aren't sold with a feature that improves the intelligence and sense of the owner.

This is one of those examples that makes all responsible gun carriers cringe.

I support any law abiding citizen's RKBA, but the sad truth is that some of them probably shouldn't, even though they can.

Mike

I guess in ‘days past’, there was still enough of a ‘gun culture’— in rural America anyway— that knowing how to handle guns was something most people ‘absorbed’ as part of growing up.

Guns are more dangerous, for people who don’t know anything about them.

I’m sure it never occurs to most liberals that teaching their kids about guns actually makes them safer.

The incident mentioned in the OP also brings up the question of age-related cognitive decline. I live with my 95-year-old Dad, and there’s no doubt that at a certain age, even absent dementia, folks begin to lose their cognitive sharpness.

It’s certainly a tricky thing to think about: at what point is it wise to take a gun away, from say, an old person or elderly couple living alone....?

Edited by - LittleBill on November 26 2017 8:06:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1683 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  8:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

I've always been a "gun nut" and enjoy the chance to share my passion for firearms, but it's always struck me that showing off your carry gun is the mark of an amateur. It seems like the people who I respect the most for their skill, maturity, experience and judgment keep their carry guns under wraps. You won't see them playing show and tell. Only the poorly trained and disciplined do that--the very people who probably shouldn't be carrying to start with.

Anyhow, that's just how I see it.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 26 2017 :  8:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some, it may not be a lack of common sense or intelligence, or an excess of bravado— but merely naivete, coupled with a sincere desire to share something they’re enthused about. For those folks, once you’ve explained to them the tactical advantages to remaining discrete, there’s hope for improvement.

And then there are those folks who love to openly carry... “Hey, look how dangerously cool I am!”

Edited by - LittleBill on November 26 2017 8:19:34 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.31seconds. Snitz Forums 2000