Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .44 mag. vs. doe
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 The Hunting Lodge
 .44 mag. vs. doe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - November 21 2017 :  6:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just before dark last night my son-in-law shot a large doe. Using a H&R Handi rifle in .44 mag. The shot was at a measured 100 yds., I know because I had put a stake at that distance, he was using one of my reloads with a Hornady 200 gr. hollowpoint ahead of a moderate load of 2400. She was quartering to him and he hit her just in front of the right shoulder, the bullet struck the top of the heart totally ruined the lungs, shredded them completely. I did not find the bullet and do not think it exited. Can't ask for better effect then it had.
I am not a big fan of these guns but I do have an older one in 30-30 that is fun to shoot. I have been having some trouble with cases sticking in the chamber even after polishing it some.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper

Edited by - Russ Larges on November 21 2017 6:17:20 PM

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - December 05 2017 :  3:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I killed a big doe year before last with a .44 Spl. shooting the old Hornady 200 JHP (Not the XTP) at around 1000 fps fired from a 6.5" 1955 Target - it worked just fine - it did exit, which for deer hunting I sorta like.

The deer went down right there - broke both shoulders.

I shot another doe, almost identical in size as it ran through the woods - I picked up my rifle for that as it was pretty brushy and had to poke a shot in the holes in the brush - hence I hit her behind the shoulder as that was all that was available and I had to track her a ways (not too far).

That load was a .338-06 shooting a 200 gr Speer at 2800 fps - go figure - that thing Evan says about placement rings truer with every critter I shoot - you do have to have enough penetration though!

BTW - so much for energy transfer

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000