Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Federal and PPU 193 Ammo
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 Federal and PPU 193 Ammo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - November 18 2017 :  7:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dunno if this belongs here or the Rifle Rack, but here goes:

Aim Surplus has some good prices on Fed XM193 and PPU 193 ammo. Just because it says '193', no sure I trust it for social work. Is either, or both, safe to presume it is 'real' 193, and would work accordingly? I have a bit of mad money and would like to put back some JIC ammo---but I want stuff that, if needed, will do its job.
Thanks. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.

coopman67
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - November 19 2017 :  04:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see coopman67's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Howdy Ace,

Just my 2cents, but that Federal load has done a good job putting down Oklahoma pigs.

Coop
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - November 19 2017 :  3:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PPU is good ammo and I'm not sure a bad guy could tell the difference.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1683 Posts

Posted - November 20 2017 :  2:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace, I think the "magic" thing about M193 is the cannelure, because that's where it breaks up when the projectile gets unstable in the target. I would suspect the pressures and velocities on these rounds would meet M193 specs, and can't imagine the bullets are any different than the rest of the M193 crowd.
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
851 Posts

Posted - November 20 2017 :  5:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cannelure doesn't hurt, but the real contributors are the high velocity (has to pretty much be over 2600 f/s), the shape and diameter. Pointed non expanding bullets tend to rotate on impact with tissue. The velocity and rather thin cross section and jacket cause the breakup. I've seen it on SMKs in .223 (no cannelure), while the same bullet in .30 just rotated.

I've seen the breakup happen with the Hornaday FMJ with cannelure too. Don't know if Hornaday ever supplied the LC plant at Radford.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - November 20 2017 :  7:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, that helps. I'll see if they tell me velocities, and pick the fastest. Don't plan to use it for hunting or much plinking-except to see how it works in my gun--but just want a supply of social stuff put back for that 'it won't never happen unless it does' time.
Thanks. More input is welcome, if anybody else cares to jump in. I'm always glad to be eddimacatd by people I respect. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
851 Posts

Posted - November 23 2017 :  08:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
XM193 is pretty much just mil spec, but excess production beyond contract requirements. Or, it may very slightly be out of spec on stuff that really doesn't matter to anyone but lawyers. At any rate, I've generally chronographed it at 3000+ f/s out of a 16 inch barrel at 15 feet. Down range is where the velocity limitation kicks in. It's about a 150-160 meter load for full fragmentation effects.

No clue about PPU. #2 son bought some in .303 British and noted pretty brutal recoil. The brass weighed a stunning 23% more than RP or some surplus military brass of uncertain origin. That translated to about 13% less capacity. If they didn't reduce the loads........

Edited by - WR Moore on November 23 2017 08:56:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - November 23 2017 :  09:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Wenger's digest site for yesterday (11-22) has a link to a velocity chart where they lop off the barrel an inch at a time, shows the Federal load at about 3.000+fps at 16"; didn't see one for the PPU. I think the Fed load will be just fine.
My .308's and CZ 7.62x39 simply adore the PPU soft point loads re:accuracy, haven't gotten to try the .308 on deer yet, but pigs hate the other one to death.
Thanks for the help, I'll be making a Black Friday--or maybe a Tan Thursday--order for the Federal load. Ace

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.17seconds. Snitz Forums 2000