Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Spare Magazine with Deep Penetrating Ammunition
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Tactics
 Spare Magazine with Deep Penetrating Ammunition
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Anthony
Starting Member

USA
37 Posts

Posted - November 17 2017 :  08:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in the 1980s I recall reading Evan and Massad Ayoob recommend carrying a final spare magazine of deeper penetrating ammo for possible barrier penetration.

Is this still a valid consideration with the higher tech bullets made today?

Also, would anyone recommend possibly carrying a spare magazine filled with a more shallow penetrating load like Glaser Safety Slugs for situations where overpenetetration or ricochet are absolutely unacceptable.

Thank you for your feedback.

Tony

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2937 Posts

Posted - November 17 2017 :  12:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

for civilian carriers, I tend to go with the averages that show you start and end a fight with the carry gun and ammo in it.

that's what you have when trouble starts.

also includes the famous" fight your way back to your rifle " rule

probably ain't happening

for a cop or soldier, you might have time to gear up before you enter a situation, maybe

my thought, more important to carry a reload, if you think that requires a different type of ammo more power

but odds are, you won't get to it until the event is over

an old boy scout at heart, it never hurts to be prepared though

Good points. Most SD situations for civilians will be finished with the rounds in the gun. However, a spare magazine for a semi-auto pistol should always be carried because there are some malfunctions (Tip Up Jam and Double Feed) that can only be quickly cleared by dumping the mag, clearing the gun, and getting a fresh mag in. For a skilled shooter that takes less than 4 seconds.

What you carry in the second mag is up to you.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5045 Posts

Posted - November 17 2017 :  1:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I useta know people who would carry three or four .38's then three or two .357's in their revawver; same idea, different platform. Not sure if it was a good thing. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.

Edited by - Ace on November 17 2017 1:04:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - November 17 2017 :  3:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Averages?

I got ambushed by the Black Panthers the second night out of the academy.

I was involved in another gunfight where I used 22 rounds of shotgun ammo.

etc,etc,etc

I never once looked around as the paramedics, CSI, and Homicide rolled up and thought I'd brought too much ammo.

Been retired for 28 years and still carry multiple guns daily!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - November 22 2017 :  11:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Averages don't mean much to the guy caught in the unusual situation ...

A guy with his head in the freezer and his foot in the oven is comfortable - on average

Ever since I tested the Browning 230 flat point BPT I've been carrying an extra (3rd) mag for my primary handgun. Heck I'm torn on whether to just carry all my ammo as the BPT - it makes a heck of a hole in test media. So far though I'm still carrying Hornady +P 220 gr Critical Duty, 230 HST +P or Winchester Ranger 230 +P (I've shot critters with all of those and it worked fine - speaking of expansion and penetration here, critters are not people - they are easier to stop in some cases).

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000