Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Basic guns for bad news times
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Basic guns for bad news times
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5252 Posts

Posted - November 08 2017 :  9:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting this from a comment Evan made on my 30-30 post.
Folks, I hate to be a "Doom & Gloom" man but I see after Trump the chance for drastic gun control, or laws passed.
Think revolvers, side by side shotguns, bolt action & lever action rifles. If lucky, single stack pistols with say 6-8 round capacity.

Are YOU prepared? A mule kicking ugly Mosin is a good thing to consider. Stevens double barrel shotgun, Your "Old school" .357 revolver, tube fed .22 rifle, and maybe the Marlin 30-30 will all hopefully pass.
Not just for me, but my grandchildren if they are lucky.

Do I want the gun control to be that bad? NO. But I think I owe it to my family's protection to plan ahead just in case...

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4375 Posts

Posted - November 08 2017 :  9:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen! Hope for the best, while preparing for the worst.

I too hope it never comes, but unfortunately, it looks to me like that’s the direction our country is heading in: towards the day when a majority of our fellow Americans will favor stricter gun control. Certainly that’s the way many if not most of the ‘ruling elites’ are trying to steer things.

I hope I’m wrong! But by the time our grandkids are our age, I wouldn’t be surprised if “assault weapons” were no longer legal to own. It may happen sooner than that.

So yeah, if you can afford it, it’s a good ‘insurance policy’ to have a ‘second tier’ of guns that would likely escape the ‘first wave’ of gun control, which would most likely involve banning magazine-fed semi-autos.

My goal is to put together a backup tier of rifles and pistols that would allow me to be as well-armed as possible, in a world without semi-autos. And would also be a great legacy to pass down to future generations.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on November 08 2017 10:00:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
685 Posts

Posted - November 09 2017 :  08:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the second tier of firearms. Just purchased a new Henry lever gun in 38/357 and my revolver drawer is full. Also have a few rifles and shotguns in semi auto(22 and 22 mag) and shotguns. I guess my Father's Remington semi auto 11 48 may very well be gone if what your guys are talking about comes to fruition. Also got a bolt action Weathearby 30 06 for hunting should I need that. Did give my 30 30 away.

Am in agreement with you guys, gun control is coming. I hope, not in my lifetime. I fear most of the next generation does not have the stomach for fighting. IMO, most, but not all, they want the government to take care of them.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - November 09 2017 :  08:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Trump has put some good conservative judges in the courts and working on more.

I'm not sure you'll see many sucessfull direct assualts on the second ammendment.

The Democrats talk gun control but talk is cheap, they didn't get anything done during the 8 years of Obama...

sort of like the Republicans talking for 8 years about repealing Obama care and cutting taxes...how's that working out

the Congressman from Sutherland Texas is a Democrat, when asked he doesn't support further gun restrictions, not all Democrats can support gun bans and still get elected.

you'll certainly see more restrictions at the state and local level, if you live there you know where those areas are.

When Obama came into office, he started talking assault rifle ban, the number of ARs in the country better than trippled. I'm not sure public support for those bans exists exactly the way the media reports it.

still, never hurts to be prepared, we're certainly going to have more mass shootings.

We can not count on the Government to solve real problems, we can count on the media to confuse and distract us from real solutions

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on November 09 2017 08:04:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4375 Posts

Posted - November 09 2017 :  08:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect that the gun-haters know that current opinion is against them.

Their plan is to continue propagandising the upcoming generations with liberal viewpoints, sanitized history, and an idealistic view of human nature, and in that way prepare the ground.

When the WWII generation has died off, and clueless ‘millenial’ snowflakes start having kids, then the progressive elites may have more luck convincing the populace that ‘America is safer without guns’.

In the end, it’ll be the ‘battle’ for the hearts and minds of upcoming generations, that will determine the fate of gun freedom.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on November 09 2017 08:17:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - November 09 2017 :  08:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a whole ton of those future generations are returning combat vets that know better than turn in their rifles.

I still have hope

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4375 Posts

Posted - November 09 2017 :  09:06:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you’re right!

Edited by - LittleBill on November 09 2017 09:09:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - November 09 2017 :  09:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a little bit more optimistic these days, but my Dad instilled in me the need to be self sufficient to the maximum extend possible.

I think it is important to sock away these "basic" guns mentioned here.

I even thought it was important enough that I stock some guns that worked well with black powder - and have made some way back in the day just to make sure I could.

I have both cartridge guns and muzzle loaders that can be used if things go really bad (and I have enough primers to last the rest of my life and probably my son's).

I did recently note that the little gadget to make M/L caps from aluminum cans was reintroduced - I should buy one of those this time around.

Also, I have always bought 30-30s when I find a deal. Glad I did because I'd hate to pay what they want for a Winchester '94 these days!

Same to be said for British Enfields which I dearly love - especially the #5 Jungle Carbine.

I put away a Nagant carbine and a bunch of ammo in "sardine" cans as well.

Anyhow, I remain hopeful but still want to prepare for the worst.

Onward.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - November 09 2017 :  10:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I think we're getting overly pessimistic. I've never been accused of being an optimist but nor am I going to be pushed around by a bunch of pantie wasted liberals. I think an 8 shot Garand is safe. Saint Bill Ruger suggested the limited capacity magazines, because he did not sell any. If you doubt my words remember the original Mini 14 with all types of restrictions. All rights including gun rights are like muscles; you have to exercise them. I have a flintlock but I don't think I'll be going into combat with it. What we should worry about is the degradation of the family, morals, and religion. When I was a child this was a moral country. Now we are in trouble. When our generations are gone all bets are off as King Louis said; "Après nous, le deluge". Maybe....., keep the faith, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

fiasconva

USA
207 Posts

Posted - November 09 2017 :  3:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The anti-gunners are never going to give up until we have the Great Britain or Australia type laws. We just have to make sure it never happens and be prepared.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4992 Posts

Posted - November 09 2017 :  5:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is also the ammunition supply to consider. Inventories in the pipeline can dry up surprisingly fast, as we all know. Import of relatively inexpensive ammo for AK's SKS's, Mosins, etc. can be blocked by executive fiat. What ammo is available could become frightfully high priced.

I've long ago invested in a good reloading setup. It's far cheaper to lay in a supply of components than to pay through the nose for whatever rounds may or may not be available sometime in an uncertain future.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4992 Posts

Posted - November 09 2017 :  8:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Arvinator has a point on what restrictions might come to pass if the Dems were to regain control of Congress and the Oval office. I can see that happening if the Republicans can't get it together and enact key elements of the Trump agenda over the monolithic Democrat opposition. Assuming for the sake of argument that Arv is correct, we might be well advised to cultivate some new philosophies and skill sets.

An overall emphasis on rapid first shot hits, regardless of weapon or distance. No semiautomatic volume fire.

Fast and accurate revolver shooting, possibly with the heavier calibers.

SASS level skills with double barrel and pump shotguns.

Rifles: Efficient manipulation of whatever manual action may be available. Quick, efficient on demand aimed hits under severe pressure at whatever range may be needed. Limited magazine capacity. Rapid fire from light semiauto rifles would be a thing of the past. Smooth handling and effective first (only?) hit efficiency would be at a premium. Read: heavier calibers than the ubiquitous 5.56.

A greater appreciation of Cooper's remark that the most dangerous thing on any battlefield is the single aimed bullet.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4375 Posts

Posted - November 10 2017 :  05:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jle3030

There is also the ammunition supply to consider. Inventories in the pipeline can dry up surprisingly fast, as we all know. Import of relatively inexpensive ammo for AK's SKS's, Mosins, etc. can be blocked by executive fiat. What ammo is available could become frightfully high priced.

I've long ago invested in a good reloading setup. It's far cheaper to lay in a supply of components than to pay through the nose for whatever rounds may or may not be available sometime in an uncertain future.

Jeff

+ 1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.25seconds. Snitz Forums 2000