Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Marlin 30-30 16 inch
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Marlin 30-30 16 inch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 14 2017 :  4:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the question with any particular pistol round fired out of a carbine is, ‘Is it being propelled past its ‘design envelope’— faster than the velocity range it was designed for’? And if so, what will the result be?

I’m guessing that with DPX and similar rounds, it would expand all the way— with its ‘petals’ opening up to 90 degrees— then the petals would ‘deflate’ backwards, as they continued to fold back, until they were lying flat against against the core— but not fragment.

?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on November 14 2017 4:18:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
687 Posts

Posted - November 16 2017 :  11:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 357 carbine test, Uncle Mike posted from "The GunBlog" would support the use of the 158 grain bullet, that he tested, as use for deer, for sure, or "perhaps" Elk hunting. He got good speed (crono)and penetration in gelatin. Enough so for deer. Personally, I would want something heavier(caliber) for Elk. Would be interesting to see what some Garrett ammo would do in the 357 carbine.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
125 Posts

Posted - November 16 2017 :  6:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just picked mine up today. I really like the finish. It's not quite a "parkerized" finish but really close. Stock is the color of a "Lowe's" white pine stud. Perfect little rifle for the truck or Jeep. Running some 100 grain Raptors out of it at over 3,000 FPS.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1605 Posts

Posted - November 16 2017 :  11:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I just noticed that Hornady has their Leverevolution ammo in pistol calibers, including the .357 Magnum. I think where this ammo/bullet would shine is in a 45-70 or 30-30, but I'd like to see what it does in a .357. Since I saw an original 1873 Musket at the range; I've been "thirsting" for a Winchester. This thread is not helping, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
687 Posts

Posted - November 17 2017 :  07:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Academy Sports, Smyrna TN store, had a Marlin 45-70 for 689.00 yesterday. Their youth 30 30 was about the same price.

I went to the store to get my, soon to be, 9 year old grandson a "Realtree Extra" cammo coat, vest, trousers, and pull over hat. What he wanted for his birthday next week. Now his mama is looking for him a pair of wellington pull over leather boots. Kids clothes are higher than men's. His mom purchased him a pair of Lacrosse cammo rubber hunting boots back in the early fall. He will be rabbit hunting, with his neighbor and dad, week after next. They liven in South Carolina and his neighbor had about 300 acers they hunt rabbit, with beagles, and deer hunt on. He almost got a doe, last year, but forgot to take the safety off on his rifle, and the deer seen his dads movement and left.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 17 2017 :  07:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop Pop, I’ve seen the youth .30-30 going for a lot less, I paid around $450 for mine at a LGS. Buds Guns online has it for $444 shipped.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on November 17 2017 07:41:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - November 17 2017 :  09:51:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boys, beagles, and bunnies. The only thing better is to be there watching. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
125 Posts

Posted - November 19 2017 :  12:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paid $441 OTD.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 19 2017 :  3:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a related note, I hesitated before buying mine, after hearing all the horror stories about terrible quality control right after Remington took over Marlin and moved production from CT to NY in 2010.

FWIW, the gun I bought seemed pretty much up to par with the two JM (pre-Remington) Marlins I own. The lever on the new one isn’t as well-finished, sharper edges make it harder on the hands. The older actions seem a bit smoother... but maybe just because they’ve had a chance to ‘wear in’.

I ended up springing for a Wild West Guns Big Loop Lever and Happy Trigger, but that was out of preference, not necessity. The Happy Trigger made a noticeable improvement, when ‘finances allow’ I plan on putting them in my two JMs.

Edited by - LittleBill on November 19 2017 3:03:57 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.52seconds. Snitz Forums 2000