Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - M&P 2.0
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Pistol Palace
 M&P 2.0
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Olddog84

USA
610 Posts

Posted - November 02 2017 :  08:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have any experience? I am looking at the new 9C compact in 2.0. I have the first generation 9C and I never really liked it. I dont like short grips on double stack guns, so the 9C either rode with the full length magazine with a spacer in it or sat on the shelf: never liked the short 12 rounder. It looks like the 2.0 9C is a direct competitor to the Glock 19 with a full 3 finger grip and 15 round magazine. I always liked the original full size M&P and the 2.0 sounds better in every respect.
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9685 Posts

Posted - November 02 2017 :  09:03:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a 2.0 full size .45 a few months ago. It corrects a few of the problems that I have with my first .45 (heavy trigger, thumb safety comes off too easily, slippery grip).

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

BobM77
Advanced Member

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - November 03 2017 :  9:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been issued a full size 2.0 40 for around a year. I like the texture for a duty gun. Last week I bought the 2.0 9C. I have about 200 rds through it so far. I shoot my other M&Ps (9 and 40) better than my Glock 19. The new 9C so far works really well for me. I like size/capacity envelope for fanny pack carry (I go to a gym several times a week). It's a little more concealable than the full size for my everyday belt carry, either IWB or OWB.
Go to Top of Page

Pat Taylor

USA
54 Posts

Posted - November 04 2017 :  02:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 of the 5 inch .40s but have only put a few hundred rounds through one of them. No problems but a little early to make claims. I like the pistols myself but my tastes are not the usual normal.

The full size slide is only 1/8 to 1/4 longer than the new compact. If you want a deal pick up a version 1 full size which are selling very cheap and chop the grip to the new compact mags.
Go to Top of Page

pochis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - November 13 2017 :  6:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard nothing but praise for the 2.0 in all sizes, it will be my xmas present to myself.
Go to Top of Page

Keith
Advanced Member

USA
2841 Posts

Posted - December 20 2017 :  8:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in a physical rehab facility for a couple months this past summer and noticed a loss in hand strength that (thankfully) is slowly returning to normal. When I got out, I wasn't able to rack the slide on the H&K P-2000 LEM compact .40 that I'd been carrying for the last few years.

So I picked up a 4.25-inch barrel M&P 2.0 at a local police equipment shop since it was a 9mm and I could manage to work the slide on it pretty well. It all in all seems to be a trim, almost compact little pistol. Especially in comparison to the Beretta 92-D I used to carry on duty. Been taking it out almost every Saturday and shooting a bit. I've progressed enough that now I'm able to do some drills with it on the range.

Phenomenally accurate gun. The trigger breaks cleanly just a tad under 6 pounds and the aggressive stippling on the grip really helps with shot-to-shot consistency. Seems to deliver its best accuracy with the 147 grain loads, and I've noticed that its sights seem regulated POA to POI for the heavier bullets. It's sure a good fit for me.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2689 Posts

Posted - December 21 2017 :  04:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Keith

I was in a physical rehab facility for a couple months this past summer and noticed a loss in hand strength that (thankfully) is slowly returning to normal. When I got out, I wasn't able to rack the slide on the H&K P-2000 LEM compact .40 that I'd been carrying for the last few years.

So I picked up a 4.25-inch barrel M&P 2.0 at a local police equipment shop since it was a 9mm and I could manage to work the slide on it pretty well. It all in all seems to be a trim, almost compact little pistol. Especially in comparison to the Beretta 92-D I used to carry on duty. Been taking it out almost every Saturday and shooting a bit. I've progressed enough that now I'm able to do some drills with it on the range.

Phenomenally accurate gun. The trigger breaks cleanly just a tad under 6 pounds and the aggressive stippling on the grip really helps with shot-to-shot consistency. Seems to deliver its best accuracy with the 147 grain loads, and I've noticed that its sights seem regulated POA to POI for the heavier bullets. It's sure a good fit for me.

Keith, glad to see you posting again. Havenít see you here in awhile.

Hope your recovery continues to go well.

Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
916 Posts

Posted - December 21 2017 :  08:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at a full sized 2.0, 9 MM two weeks ago. Really liked it. My Glock 19's grip is a little uncomfortable in my med sized hands. Just may get me one. Will be my first M P.

Edited to ask; Is the 2.0 9C about the same size as the Glock 19? O know it is thinner in the grip and has the 3 inserts for the grip size adjustment. Sweetie told me to get me one for Christmas. She's a keeper!

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on December 21 2017 08:09:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5268 Posts

Posted - December 21 2017 :  08:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dov

quote:

Keith, glad to see you posting again. Havenít see you here in awhile.

Hope your recovery continues to go well.

Big +1!

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

enidpd804
Advanced Member

1759 Posts

Posted - December 21 2017 :  10:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought one about a month ago. I don't have that much live fire with it, yet. I've only put a few hundred rounds of mixed carry ammo through it. When I test a gun, I TRY to make it choke with loose grips, etc. It's been perfect. The size is great for duty and off-duty carry. I'll let you know when I've gotten to the range for some more testing.

Warren
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

4398 Posts

Posted - December 21 2017 :  10:32:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

good to see you posting again, always informative

sad to hear of your health problems

Strength and Good Health in the New Year sir!

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34362 Posts

Posted - December 21 2017 :  1:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keith-good to hear from you again. Last time I was in a gun shop was almost a year ago. I bought a SIG P320 in .40. Gun was reliable but just didn't sing to me. It's gone.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

BobM77
Advanced Member

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - December 21 2017 :  11:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

; Is the 2.0 9C about the same size as the Glock 19? O know it is thinner in the grip and has the 3 inserts for the grip size adjustment. Sweetie told me to get me one for Christmas. She's a keeper!

The 2.0 9C is the same size as the G19 (I have one of each).
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
916 Posts

Posted - December 22 2017 :  07:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, which do you favor? I have the 19 and am looking at the 2.0, because of the grip.

Pop Pop
Go to Top of Page

pochis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - December 22 2017 :  08:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop Pop the 2.0 to me feels like i'm aiming without a gun in my hand, I know that's weird but it throws up easy.
Go to Top of Page

BobM77
Advanced Member

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - December 22 2017 :  7:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pop Pop

Bob, which do you favor? I have the 19 and am looking at the 2.0, because of the grip.

Sorry about that, thought I posted a longer response. I shoot the 2.0C significantly better than my Glock 19. I shot Tom Givens Rangemaster bullseye course at about 30 points higher than with my 19, I've also shot my fastest ever runs on a plate rack with it. It just seems to fit me better.
Go to Top of Page

Keith
Advanced Member

USA
2841 Posts

Posted - December 23 2017 :  02:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pochis

Pop Pop the 2.0 to me feels like i'm aiming without a gun in my hand, I know that's weird but it throws up easy.

It's interesting that you say it that way.

I notice that when I run through multiple targets in a tactical bay that the 2.0 does better than other pistols I've used. Specifically, the extra traction of the grip stippling, the ergonomics of the grip itself, the balance...something...allows it swing laterally from target to target, with the sights instantly locked on to the spot that you want to hit as soon as your eyes register it's location on the silhouette.

I'm not explaining it right, but what it amounts to is that I get repeatable first-round hits that are extremely well centered. No more peripheral hits with the first round, then a quickly centered-up hit with the next shot. I've always had trouble swinging laterally and getting good hits as I shoot. That's why I prefer a magazine full of heavy buckshot for that sort of shooting.

But you're right. It throws up easy.
Go to Top of Page

Keith
Advanced Member

USA
2841 Posts

Posted - December 23 2017 :  03:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

Keith-good to hear from you again. Last time I was in a gun shop was almost a year ago. I bought a SIG P320 in .40. Gun was reliable but just didn't sing to me. It's gone.

It's funny how, even after years of experience, it's never really enough to test-grip a pistol at the gun store counter. You never really know for sure until you've spent time on the range with it. Even then what seems like a good ergonomic fit, initially, may become less-than-satisfactory as you accumulate experience with it.

It was that way for me when I first got my Gen 4 Glock 19. I put the extra-large beaver-tail backstrap insert on it as I fondled it at the local gun shop, and thought I'd died and went to heaven. I'd wanted a 19 ever since shooting a Gen 3 at the NYPD's firing range in 1992. I was grateful that the big beaver-tail insert on the Gen 4 finally allowed me to shoot a Glock without the slide slicing the skin at the base of my thumb as it cycled back and forth.

But before long, experience taught me that if I want to shoot as well as I need to, I've simply got to use a handgun with a full-sized grip. Something that I can wrap ALL the fingers of my over-sized hand around, without my little finger slipping under the toe of the pistol grip's front-strap. I've learned that if I think I can do otherwise, I'm just kidding myself. The Glock 19's grip was just a tad too short.

It was like the wonderfully accurate Sig 229 .40 that I carried before I retired from the department here. I could twist my fingers around the compact grip, and "qualify" well enough on the square range. But tracking laterally from target to target in the tactical bay and getting reliable first round hits, on a target that wasn't shooting back at me, was an exercise in frustration. So the Glock 19 wasn't what I'd so badly hoped it would be.

Evan, I'm a little embarrassed to go on about this since, like you...and a number of the guys here...I can well recall being handed a gun by the boss and tersely told that it was my only option for on-duty carry. You had to adapt to it, since there often wasn't much you could do to modify the grip to fit you when it came to semi-auto pistols. We're sure lucky to have the choices we have now.

Since the holiday is here, and we all may have a little extra time, I've got a question that I wanted to get everyone's input on. I'll post it in the Tactical Section, if it's okay with Evan. Thanks for listening.
Go to Top of Page

Pop Pop

USA
916 Posts

Posted - December 23 2017 :  09:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keith, I have just about convinced myself, I am going to purchase a 2.0. You are not helping me much! I, too, felt that feeling when griping the gun and aiming it. It feels great in my hand. I want something to carry to church, with a little bit more rounds on board than my 7 shot snubbie K frame Taurus revolver. Also would like the longer brl and sight radius. I plan to carry it under my sports coat and IWB.

Just no love for the Glock 19. Just does not feel right in my hand. Grip is too thick.

Edited to add; Not going to trade the 19 Gen 3.

Pop Pop

Edited by - Pop Pop on December 23 2017 09:21:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - December 23 2017 :  2:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pochis

It's interesting that you say it that way.

I notice that when I run through multiple targets in a tactical bay that the 2.0 does better than other pistols I've used. Specifically, the extra traction of the grip stippling, the ergonomics of the grip itself, the balance...something...allows it swing laterally from target to target, with the sights instantly locked on to the spot that you want to hit as soon as your eyes register it's location on the silhouette.

I'm not explaining it right, but what it amounts to is that I get repeatable first-round hits that are extremely well centered. No more peripheral hits with the first round, then a quickly centered-up hit with the next shot. I've always had trouble swinging laterally and getting good hits as I shoot. That's why I prefer a magazine full of heavy buckshot for that sort of shooting.

But you're right. It throws up easy.

Every shooter is an individual, and as Jim says "we all have to find our own salvation".

The M&P was mine. I find Glocks come to the target with the front sight high... which I then have to lower. 1911s come to the target with the front sight high... which I then have to lower.

For me, the M&P comes to the target dead on... the same as my GP-100 revolvers. I don't need to 'hunt' the front sight. It's right where it's supposed to be. This was born out in competition.

I have owned as many as five M&Ps, although I think I'm down to four now, including my EDC. I like them a lot!

My competition guns have trigger work and aftermarket sights. My EDC has a stock trigger with aftermarket sights.

I did a review of the new M&P 2.0 for the NRA "Shooting Sports USA" website, and there was nothing in that gun that caused me not to love the M&P. The factory trigger was a bit better than the original. The aggressive grips were definitely better than the originals. And. side by side tests with the 4.25 inch test gun against my original 4.25 inch gun (9mms) did seem to show the 2.0 recoiled slightly less/muzzle flip, with the same factory loads.

I am a M&P 'fanboy'... and the 2.0 is nothing more than a refinement of an excellent existing design. Since this is a 'free thought', it's worth what you paid for it. But the M&P 2.0 is an excellent gun. My original 4.25 9mm gun went about 30,000 rounds in competition/practice, before I had to replace any parts... and that was just the striker assembly block.

Edited to add.... RE:9c and short grip. Why carry it that way? My EDC is an original 9c with a full-sized 17 round magazine. It provides a better grip, more rounds, and is no more difficult to conceal. That's the gun (in my normal strong side OWB holster under a loose tee-shirt carry) that I used to shoot a perfect score on the Federal Air Marshal qualification course. That's not a bad test for the compact gun/full sized mag option.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on December 23 2017 2:53:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pat Taylor

USA
54 Posts

Posted - December 24 2017 :  12:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Own a few myself , both first and 2.0 models. If Smith would take the current 2.0 5 inch thumb safety .40 model and turn it into a single stack .45/10mm I would buy even more of them.
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

856 Posts

Posted - December 25 2017 :  02:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread is probably going to cost me some bucks. I think that I really need a new M&P 2.0 Compact in 9mm. It used to just be a want...but now it has transformed into a real need.

I would guess that they use the same magazines as the original versions, but want to make sure. Has anyone used the older mags with the new 2.0 models?

PS...a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Blessed New Year to each of you!!!

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - December 25 2017 :  07:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldmuleskinner

This thread is probably going to cost me some bucks. I think that I really need a new M&P 2.0 Compact in 9mm. It used to just be a want...but now it has transformed into a real need.

I would guess that they use the same magazines as the original versions, but want to make sure. Has anyone used the older mags with the new 2.0 models?

PS...a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Blessed New Year to each of you!!!

The 2.0 uses existing mags. I tested that in the standard size model I tested. I have not had a Compact in my hands yet, but there is no reason they won't take the standard mags.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9685 Posts

Posted - December 25 2017 :  12:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, our two agency shootings with Glocks both officers were OK shots on the range but were not folks who practiced when they didn't have to.

Both hit high - one hit the collar bone and fortunately the subject was not very determined and he was not on a mind altering substance so he just dropped his gun and started crying.

The other one was fairly long range and the first hit was in the head (not a lethal part), one injured the gun arm (which was up at eye level) and one hit high in the side, that bullet turned inward and was fatal-eventually).

Still, I guess you would call them both successful since the officers in question did not get hurt.

Myself, I find it takes an extra effort to push the sights on a standard Glock down to get a good hit - but I own 3 with grip reductions that point just fine though one is a G-20 and even with the grip reduction I can barely reach the trigger.

I find that *for me* the M&P points well right out of the box and it fells well and have felt no need to modify one...but that might be just me.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - December 25 2017 :  1:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I think we may have just cost some fellas some money. But, What The Heck! It's Christmas! And the M&P 2.0 is an excellent gun.

Chris Christian
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

856 Posts

Posted - December 25 2017 :  3:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinkin' that I will double down on the 2.0...one is none, two is one.

At least that's how I explain things like this to my wife. Fortunately, she gets it...most of the time.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.44seconds. Snitz Forums 2000