Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Carry without permit, carry in schools
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Concealed Carry
 Carry without permit, carry in schools
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mjolnir

USA
182 Posts

Posted - November 01 2017 :  02:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Mjolnir an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
OK, if this has been brought up before, I apologize. I've searched the concealed carry forum, but can't find an answer. Maybe someone in a state with constitutional carry can offer some clarification.

I live in a state that allows carry in everything from elementary schools up to state universities, IF you have a permit. The permit exempts a person from the federal law about school carry.

If our state gets constitutional carry, which might happen next year (or 5 years from now--who knows?), it seems that the only way to keep school carry would be to continue to have that state permit. Has anyone considered this situation?

"None who have always been free can understand the
terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
to those who are not free."

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1036 Posts

Posted - November 01 2017 :  05:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consult a knowledgeable lawyer on the subject of gun legalities in your state. I don't believe any state issued permit can exempt a person from federal law. Only Obama and sanctuary cities can do that.
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

638 Posts

Posted - November 01 2017 :  08:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe living in a state that allows Constitutional Carry still justifies maintaining your permit anyway. Although the permit won't necessarily allow expanded access to in state places (determined by law as gauchobill suggests checking), it will afford you an ability to cross state lines to other permit accepting states and remain legal to carry concealed.

I wouldn't give up that ability to roam just because my state is better/smarter than most. One can never fully know a time periods events that just may have you leaving the area/state for some reason out of your control.

Edited by - ASCTLC on November 01 2017 08:24:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5048 Posts

Posted - November 01 2017 :  12:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The carry permit will exempt you from the Federal Gun Free School Zone prohibition, BUT 1)only in the state where the permit was issued, and 2)only possession, not actually intentionally firing it. So, the way it is written, with the permit you can have the gun on you in The Zone, but if you are attacked and forced to shoot the attacker--within 1000 feet of The Zone--the act of shooting puts you in violation, even if the shooting is justifiable. And that's the Federal part; some states may still prohibit possession in The Zone, even with the permit. We cover that issue in CCH instruction, mostly to keep people out of trouble, partly because it is so silly.

Possession inside school buildings would need to be looked at from the context of individual State law, maybe even individual city/county regulation. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34115 Posts

Posted - November 01 2017 :  12:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll never recommend breaking the law here, and frankly I don't like constitutional carry. Why? Because a future supreme court may decide such a law is UNCONSTITUTIONAL and we'll have no right to carry. My Michigan CPL makes me exempt from gun free zones because I'm a retired copper. Frankly, I think every cpl should permit that but leaving our safety to the 9 Penguins in Washington is foolish in the extreme!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.17seconds. Snitz Forums 2000