Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .357 for deer
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 .357 for deer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - November 06 2017 :  8:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otta work on cars and mid-size trucks, too, with the right load.
Wonder which bullet gives the best penetration\expansion ratio on, say, a Ford F150? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 07 2017 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only one way to find out... Garrett Cartridges sells a +P ‘Hammerhead’ load (540gr hardcast @ 1550 fps) that looks promising....

And I think one of my neighbors just bought an F-150.... I’ll keep you posted....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on November 07 2017 06:48:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - November 07 2017 :  08:02:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill;

I guess you read that early on after offering that load a fella killed not one but two Cape Buffalo with one shot of that load - yeah, it will do.

If you don't have Cape Buffalo then a Kenworth might do

I live my Marlin 1895 - it is a 4 digit serial number. It took a record book deer here in KY - but it wasn't me shooting, I loaned it to a neighbor. It was my handloads though.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - November 07 2017 :  08:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Some idiots in the western side of the state, some years ago, got a one-shot kill on an escaped buffalo--young bull, as I recall--with a .243, dunno what brand/design bullet, but they had been on a deer hunting trip. So, by that one example, apparently .243 is a viable buffalo hunting round.

Oh, and they followed the thing around for a couple hours, waiting for it to fall down; something about didn't want to use up their ammo or put a bunch of holes in the hide or wanted 'bragging rights' about killing a buffalo with one shot from a .243 or something. Like I said, idiots. Ace

There was an interesting article way back when, perhaps by Jack Lott? Turns out that by the late 1930s one of the national parks, I think maybe Custer in SD, had more buffalo than the browse would carry over the winter.

Some govt. hunters came in and decided to cull them with 30-06 and .300 H&H (.300 Win mag had not been invented). It turned out that anywhere between 5 and 9 hits were required and they were mostly culling females and calves. JD Jones wrote of shooting a bull with a .270 Winchester - it took 5 hits.

A maintenance worker there told them it was shameful to shoot these critters like that. He went home and got his old buffalo gun, a Sharps which I think may have been a 45-90 or 45-110 - it wasn't the "big 50".

He shot the critters and they went down with one hit each - I am told that it is actually on film and in the 1940 movie "Buffalo Bill" starring Joel McRae. In any case the scene is obviously real and even running buffalo collapse right there on the spot (you can see the dust on the hill behind some after the exit).

Jim H.

I just bought a JM Marlin 1895 .45-70 'Guide Gun', no need for it in my present situation, but it was in mint condition, the price was right and I couldn't resist. I'm unlikely to encounter a buffalo or grizz where I live, but just in case...

you saw a lot of those on the used rack barely fired

" For Sale, lightweight 45-70 thumper, kills on both ends"

apperently too much fun...

mines a .444 Outfitter by the way, shot a small whitetail with a 300gr XTP hollow point hand load at about 40 yards

yep, it killed it all right!!

tenderized most of it too

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on November 07 2017 08:10:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 07 2017 :  08:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barnes makes a .45-70 load, 300gr TSX @ 1900 fps, 2400 foot-lbs, that might be easier on the shoulder, but still ‘very sufficient’ on the receiving end for most situations...

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on November 07 2017 08:41:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 07 2017 :  08:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bill;

I guess you read that early on after offering that load a fella killed not one but two Cape Buffalo with one shot of that load - yeah, it will do.

I live my Marlin 1895 - it is a 4 digit serial number. It took a record book deer here in KY - but it wasn't me shooting, I loaned it to a neighbor. It was my handloads though.

Jim

Jim, sounds like you live in a ‘nice neighborhood’!

I know we can’t share loading data, but I’d be interested in knowing what bullet you handloaded and how fast it left the muzzle...

Edited by - LittleBill on November 07 2017 08:38:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - November 07 2017 :  09:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Barnes makes a .45-70 load, 300gr TSX @ 1900 fps, 2400 foot-lbs, that might be easier on the shoulder, but still ‘very sufficient’ on the receiving end for most situations...

my .444 300gr XTP load hits about 2100fps out of the Outfitter short barrel

being a pistol bullet it has a come appart at that velocity up close

I'm not up on the Barnes bullet and it's designed velocity envelope

I'm inclined towards a heat treated lead solid in these anyway, I sold my .45-70 this year and don't have my data in front of me.

but a favorite commercial bullet for the .444 is the Cast Performance LBT Series gas-checked cast 300gr bullet

same load as the XTP gives about the same 2100fps

the FP solid seems like a more useful load, but the hollow point might work on anything you don't intend to eat, otherwise the hollow point will chew your meat for you.....

the porting on those short Marlins is a big help in my opinion

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - November 07 2017 :  09:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gw, how much flash comes out of those ports? I have seen a few ported handguns fired, but all my years, the closest thing I've seen on a rifle would be a muzzle brake. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3984 Posts

Posted - November 07 2017 :  1:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't notice, and I've fired it without hearing protection out hunting, still can't hear just like before I fired it....

I got one of those BOSS muzzle brakes on a 30-06, I don't notice noise or blast and the rifle is accurate in the extreme. I thought I'd cut the ugly thing off but it's a sub moa rifle, so I left it alone.

both devices seem to reduce recoil

Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - November 07 2017 :  2:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, sir. Ace

Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - November 07 2017 :  4:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

quote:

my .444 300gr XTP load hits about 2100fps out of the Outfitter short barrel

being a pistol bullet it has a come appart at that velocity up close

I'm not up on the Barnes bullet and it's designed velocity envelope

I'm inclined towards a heat treated lead solid in these anyway, I sold my .45-70 this year and don't have my data in front of me.

but a favorite commercial bullet for the .444 is the Cast Performance LBT Series gas-checked cast 300gr bullet

same load as the XTP gives about the same 2100fps

the FP solid seems like a more useful load, but the hollow point might work on anything you don't intend to eat, otherwise the hollow point will chew your meat for you.....

the porting on those short Marlins is a big help in my opinion

Glad to hear that, my 18.5” Guide Gun is ported.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - November 08 2017 :  08:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

TR was also blind as a bat since birth!

we killed an old bison bull on my uncles place back in the day, he had 5 he was cross breeding with cattle

one round of 30-06 AP straight on into he skull was all it took. they dug the bullet out his kneck when the butchered it

Yep there is that too, and in fact totally blind in one eye (I forget which one) since a boxer hit him in it while he was President.

Jim.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - November 08 2017 :  08:54:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Bill;

Jim

Jim, sounds like you live in a ‘nice neighborhood’!

I know we can’t share loading data, but I’d be interested in knowing what bullet you handloaded and how fast it left the muzzle...

It has been a while but I'm pretty sure it was a classic load from the Lyman manual of a 405 gr Win. JSP at around 1850 fps.

Jim

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.41seconds. Snitz Forums 2000