Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - 9mm CarBon
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 9mm CarBon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pip

USA
213 Posts

Posted - October 16 2017 :  2:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
9mm CarBon DPX 115 gr. cannot be found! Can anyone help?

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4365 Posts

Posted - October 16 2017 :  3:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barnes TAC-XPD 9mm 115 gr +P is available online, I believe it’s similar to Corbon DPX. Ammoseek will take you there.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on October 16 2017 3:33:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - October 17 2017 :  1:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scarcity of product should be a clue

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - October 17 2017 :  7:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I carry a Glock 22 with a Glock 27 as second gun and .40 cal at Cor Bon is a rapidly disappearing item at CB due to lack of demand for .40 S&W

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Pip

USA
213 Posts

Posted - October 18 2017 :  1:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is CarBon still in business? I've called both numbers several times and only get a recording saying that they are now closed and to call back during business hours - which I did, several times over several days. I get the same recording. Tried sending an email and it came back as "undeliverable." Does anyone know what's going on? Am I missing something? Still trying to find CarBon DPX 9mm 115gr.

Regards,

Pip
Go to Top of Page

mike6735

USA
50 Posts

Posted - October 22 2017 :  11:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a similar as does Pip- why can't they meet the demand for their products? Too many government contracts keeping them too busy to be bothered by interest shown by the general public which wants to communicate with them?
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Foxtrot

204 Posts

Posted - October 23 2017 :  07:58:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prior to the advent of the internet, I telephoned Corbon on two separate occasions requesting product literature. I was told on both occasions that they would mail the literature out to me right away. I am still waiting to receive it.

Many years ago, a gun store I frequented pulled all its Corbon ammunition off the shelves after its customers reported non-operational ammunition which the shop owner advised was the result of defective primers.

While monolithic projectiles appear to provide superior terminal ballistics when compared to many traditional JHP ammunition, I have never purchased a Corbon product because I experienced poor customer service, coupled with their history of selling defective ammunition.

Corbon ammunition is way too cost prohibitive for the average person to purchase, especially when taking into consideration the amount of ammunition required for reliability testing to determine compatibility in firearms.

One must wonder if Corbon offers a superior product, which if any law enforcement agencies contract with Corbon. I would like to know that a specific brand of ammunition passed performance, reliability and quality control testing by large agencies conducting their own independent tests before considering purchasing it myself. One would figure that if their ammunition really is superior to the competitors, they would have captured the law enforcement market and would be able to sell their products at competitive prices.

Edited by - Charlie Foxtrot on October 23 2017 08:35:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4365 Posts

Posted - October 23 2017 :  08:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Expense?

With, for example, HST available at 30 cents a round; even if Corbon is better, is it that much better to justify 5 times the cost?

For us individuals buying for our own use, cost may not be a factor: ‘How much is your life worth’? My own inclination is to practice mostly with cheap rounds, but to load my carry guns with the best rounds available.

But I suspect it may be different for gov’t agencies buying many thousands of rounds.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on October 23 2017 09:01:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
4008 Posts

Posted - October 23 2017 :  7:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not been able to FIND wholesalers that are getting ANY supply of anything from Cor-Bon nor their parent Dakota.
Something is definitely up, and it doesn't look all that good.Hope I'm wrong.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4989 Posts

Posted - October 24 2017 :  05:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is CorBon falling victim to the general realization that if there is no magic bullet, then cost does matter?

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

ajt

USA
207 Posts

Posted - October 24 2017 :  07:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has taken me years to find and buy enough Corbon DPX so that each of my semi's and revolvers have a full initial load of it. For the semi-autos this including firing one full magazine to see that they would function from a clean and lubricated firearm - slow fire to ensure they were hitting to point of aim, and five or six as fast as I could pull the trigger. Don't count the financial expenditure as you fire each round - it could induce a flinch! Back-up carry mags contain 9BPLE or Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+. One of my 357's currently is loaded with .38 Spec. - but its DPX! A search last weekend of eight stores found no Corbon except for one box of .45 185 +P DPX which I didn't need but bought it just because. The .45 DPX is actually the round that I most often encounter in DPX. I've never seen more than a couple of boxes of DPX in any caliber on the shelf in any store ever, or at any gun show. We had a very expensive "oops!" when we accidently loaded the 20 round mag of DPX into my wife's Sig 556 when sighting in a new red-dot. I had bought those from a friend long ago and have never seen them in a store. Its now loaded with Hornady 55 gr with the red plastic tip. I sometimes wonder if the search and price are worth it until I remember reading here, 'how much is your life worth?'. My Corbon inventory consists of one box each of 9 mm 115 and 125 gr +Ps and one box of .38 DPX and the box of .45 DPX. This has been a subject of discussion with friends and acquaintances at the range many times and no one understands why Corbon can't/doesn't increase production of their product. Surely they can't be afraid of going up into the next tax bracket!
Go to Top of Page

pochis

USA
68 Posts

Posted - October 24 2017 :  08:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok Evan what's the truth, who gets them because where I live in the state of ga we just don't see it, I would love to have it for my 9mm.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 24 2017 :  09:16:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen Cor-bon in several stores in our state.

I've also had good luck just ordering from their website.

In fact my only complaint is they quit making that nifty .356 TSW round - me and the only other guy who owns one in the country were offended

OTOH, they do make .44 Auto Mag which is a plus.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Pip

USA
213 Posts

Posted - October 26 2017 :  8:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

CarBon doesn't answer the phone nor respond to emails.

It seems as though the "much preferred" CarBon DPX 115gr 9mm is not obtainable. So, I'm open to suggestions/substitutions....

Regards and Thanks,

Pip
Go to Top of Page

pochis

USA
68 Posts

Posted - October 27 2017 :  08:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pip, after a lot of test, videos and research I settled on 124gr +p speer gold dots.there are a few others but that was where I rested my search.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2937 Posts

Posted - October 27 2017 :  10:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pochis

pip, after a lot of test, videos and research I settled on 124gr +p speer gold dots.there are a few others but that was where I rested my search.

That's an excellent choice. Federal 124 grain HST+P is another good choice. I'm happy with either.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34114 Posts

Posted - October 27 2017 :  7:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've known Peter since the 80's. Talked to him and last wek he indicated they couldn't load stuff fast enough

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

silverback

USA
78 Posts

Posted - October 27 2017 :  8:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Evan for the up date got to be crazy for him not like the old days setting in Peters Garage drinking coffee.
Go to Top of Page

mackpeirson
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - October 27 2017 :  11:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. So there is no effective difference between 9mm and .40 S&W, and maybe even .45 ACP; sounds like the current reasonong is that 9mm is good enough, or maybe even superior. I'm confused. There is a magic bullet in CB that makes any of them so deadly that a search akin to that for the Holy Grail is warranted? For me, whatever loading yields the most energy, without overpenetration, is likely the best choice. At least, if I am ever attacked by a block of ballistic gel.

Mack Peirson
Go to Top of Page

USA
163 Posts

Posted - October 28 2017 :  10:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mackpeirson

Hmmm. So there is no effective difference between 9mm and .40 S&W, and maybe even .45 ACP; sounds like the current reasonong is that 9mm is good enough, or maybe even superior. I'm confused.
Mark, welcome to Evan's great set of Forums!

Yes, there can be effective differences between each of those three calibers (considering only semi-auto loadings) or you could factor in the .38 Spl. and .357 Mag., .44 Spl. and possibly the .44 Mag. if trying to sort through a lot of confusion.

But there are ample effective differences just within one single caliber as well to keep a person wondering what to pick. Take just the most common caliber, the 9mm. Although there are other bullet weights the main picks are 115 gr., 124 gr. and 147 gr. Of those three I know I have my preference in 9mm.

Bullet types make it even more perplexing when trying to select a loading you might prefer, from standard pressure to +p to +p+.

Even before I was a LE firearms instructor for my departments and one of the country-wide instructors, and on to the present as a retired old phart, I have always been interested in the caliber of choice and duty load selection used by any agency. Over the past eight years or so I have found many departments, large and small, who have made a caliber transition away from .40 S&W for various reasons.

Even departments that used to allow or issue the options of 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP I was told they dropped the .40 S&W but allow officers to pick between 9mm and .45 ACP. One of the main reasons was because their studies showed that both the 9mm and .45 ACP had been just as effective as the .40 S&W,

In the end, if not working in a capacity where you are issued a specific loading, it's up to each individual to select the brand, weight, design and power level of the ammunition they feel comfortable with, and confident in, for personal protection.

There are a lot of different bullets out there, but not one of them has any 'magic' potential to them. For personal defense preparation there is a lot of never-ending decision making involved.

'840'

Yes, I, too, have my semi-autos, but folks need to credit the serious versatility of a good revolver with a serviceable load.
Go to Top of Page

ajt

USA
207 Posts

Posted - October 30 2017 :  2:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went into the local Cabellas, looking for 9mm CorBons - DPX hopefully. DID NOT find a single box of Corbon ammo. The wife and I even checked the shelf labels and they did not even have a spot designated for it in any caliber. However I did score two boxes of Federal HST in .38 Special (+P), 130 grain jhp "micro" - whatever that means, personal defense ammo. It looks like the old .38 wadcutters that we used to load backwards for a massive hollowpoint in our snubbies, like the old Hydroshock Scorpions. (this was back in the 60's - 70's - I do admit to being an old person.) From the small amount of the bullet that is exposed you can see that they are jacketed and they are loaded in nickel cases. I am always looking for new/different/unusual ammo to try out. I will have to look this one up on the net.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4365 Posts

Posted - November 02 2017 :  8:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From John Farnam’s Quips of 2 November:

“Cor-Bon:
I’ve received many emails asking where one can get the high-performance Cor-Bon ammunition that I carry and used during last Wednesday’s hunt in OH.
Yesterday, I contacted Peter Pi, CEO of Cor-Bon, and a good and long-time friend.
Here is what Pete said:
“Cabelas will have DPX by the end of this month. In the meantime, please send your students to us directly at our Web Page. They can place orders there:
www.corbon.com
If you experience difficulty, let me know.
/John”

Go to Top of Page

Gearhead Jim

USA
236 Posts

Posted - November 07 2017 :  2:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Foxtrot

Prior to the advent of the internet, I telephoned Corbon on two separate occasions requesting product literature. I was told on both occasions that they would mail the literature out to me right away. I am still waiting to receive it.

Many years ago, a gun store I frequented pulled all its Corbon ammunition off the shelves after its customers reported non-operational ammunition which the shop owner advised was the result of defective primers.

While monolithic projectiles appear to provide superior terminal ballistics when compared to many traditional JHP ammunition, I have never purchased a Corbon product because I experienced poor customer service, coupled with their history of selling defective ammunition.

Corbon ammunition is way too cost prohibitive for the average person to purchase, especially when taking into consideration the amount of ammunition required for reliability testing to determine compatibility in firearms.

One must wonder if Corbon offers a superior product, which if any law enforcement agencies contract with Corbon. I would like to know that a specific brand of ammunition passed performance, reliability and quality control testing by large agencies conducting their own independent tests before considering purchasing it myself. One would figure that if their ammunition really is superior to the competitors, they would have captured the law enforcement market and would be able to sell their products at competitive prices.

My comments are more "history" than "current events", but...

About 20 years ago I tested the Corbon 115 +P 9mm load for possible use with our small department.

Velocities were amazing- about 50 fps faster than Winchester 115 +P+.
Pressures were also amazing- every mag would produce one or shots where the extractor would pull through or slip off the rim, leaving the fired case stuck in the chamber. This in a BHP that was and continued to be 100% reliable with anything else that would fit into the mag.

Around that time, their 125 .38 +P also gave me some of the highest ES for 10 rds of any duty ammo I had tested. A second lot had even higher ES, over 150 fps for 10 rds.

I had a few similar events with other "boutique" brands, and finally went back to the big old companies whose ammo Evan had lots of street data on.

Nobody makes perfect ammo, some are less perfect than others. To look at it another way,
"Quantity has a quality of its own." Price.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin1.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000