Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Single shot Rifles/Shotguns
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Single shot Rifles/Shotguns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
125 Posts

Posted - October 16 2017 :  2:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I was the last person on Earth to know this, but I just found out there are no more Marlin/Handy Rifles/NEFs being made. Remington bought them out and then stopped making them. While this may not be a big deal to most, these are indeed Handy Rifles. I have one in .223, .44 mag, and .357 Max. Had one in 500 S&W.
We have cut several 12s and 20s to 18 inches and added rifle sites. The 20s are particularly "Handy", 60 caliber carbines.
The reason for stopping manufacture as I understand it is...cheap foreign imports. Another one bites the dust.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2939 Posts

Posted - October 16 2017 :  2:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remington (Freedom Group) seems to have their gun sights thoroughly focused on their feet... and their imagined bottom line...and their QC seems to be quite bad across a number of product lines, including ammunition.

It's their company, they can do with it what they want. I don't have to
participate.

Edited to add... as for single shot rifles, I think Thompson Center still makes their Encore series and also carbine length barrels for their Contender series. I have some and they are... IMHO... excellent!

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on October 16 2017 2:55:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - October 16 2017 :  5:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Henry also makes some single shot guns, not as cheap though.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5049 Posts

Posted - October 16 2017 :  7:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Handi with a .44Mag and .223 barrel, the whole outfit probably has no more than $300 invested. A couple years ago I called to see about getting a .30-30 and 7.62x39 barrel, and some guy with a snotty attitude said 'We don't do that anymore.' Started looking at options on Gunbroker and some other sites, turns out just a barrel in almost any caliber would be as much or more as the whole gun useta be. It was later I found out they don't even make the rifles anymore; read somewhere that it's supposed to be a 'temporary' situation, but I don't believe it. Too bad, they're handy (!) little guns that will do a fine job and didn't cost a lot--back then. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - October 16 2017 :  7:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes you glad you ‘got yours while the gettin’ was good’, huh?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

hopleyyeaton

USA
104 Posts

Posted - October 16 2017 :  8:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad. They really were nice little shooters even if they weren't high quality. I have one in 30-30 Ackley for which I also have a 45-70 barrel, and one of the H&R Ultra models in 35 Whelen with the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation commemorative medallion in the stock. A couple loads in the Ackley shoot 5 shot 3/4 in groups at 100 yds.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4377 Posts

Posted - October 16 2017 :  10:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of guns that were cheap, but fine shooters.... once readily available, but now no longer being made.... and therefore, no longer cheap anymore..... getting scarcer and scarcer, and therefore more and more expensive, as more and more people figure out what fine guns they were for the money.... kind of like what happened to the SKS....

Think twice before selling that gun!

If you’re like me: you’ve got enough regrets already, without adding to the pile....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on October 16 2017 11:37:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 18 2017 :  09:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few of these - one of my favorites is an old H&R .22 Hornet I took in trade.

I had the local machinist cut the barrel back to 16.5" and thread it - just took it out the other day with my suppressor on it and helped a friend eliminate some beavers that were trying to re-engineer his lower field into a swamp.

I also used "Mr. Shorty" my SBR in .300 Blackout. One problem that showed up with the Hornet and not the Blackout with 200 gr. subsonic is that the little 50 gr JHP of the hornet would apparently not penetrate enough water to get to the critters while swimming - it did fine on head shots though.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1605 Posts

Posted - October 18 2017 :  10:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, my favorite single shot is the Ruger No. 1 but accuracy can be a problem without modifying the hand guard, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

zeke
Average Member

250 Posts

Posted - October 19 2017 :  07:02:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just bought H&R 444 Marlin, then traded it for 45-70 version. In process of having barrel cut down to 16.5 and threaded.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4992 Posts

Posted - October 19 2017 :  07:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have other shotguns, but when I take the grandsons hunting, I make it a point, at least once a year, to carry my great grandfather's Diamond Arms (Shapleigh Hardware, St Louis -probably Iver Johnson) single shot 12 gauge. Low brass shells only, but they do fine. I find it interesting that even as a 1930's (?) economy gun it has an ejector that throws the empties well clear.

This year, to pass the torch, I may have one of the boys carry their great great great granddad's gun

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on October 19 2017 07:45:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 19 2017 :  12:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zeke

Just bought H&R 444 Marlin, then traded it for 45-70 version. In process of having barrel cut down to 16.5 and threaded.

Cool! A friend who owns a gunshop in central KY has a son who cut one of the H&R 45-70s down to 16" - he did not thread it but says it makes a dandy gun for his ATV as it does not stick out when riding through the woods.

In fact that is where I got the idea to cut down my .22 Hornet - it is as handy as pockets on a shirt!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 19 2017 :  12:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi, my favorite single shot is the Ruger No. 1 but accuracy can be a problem without modifying the hand guard, regards, Mike

I like #1s and have one in .243 and one in .458 Lott (keeps the elephants from trampling the wife's flowers).

I also liked the #3 and wished I had bought some when they were cheap - I did manage to buy a used one in 45-70 - with warm loads it is "too much fun" - the critter weighs about 5.5 lbs!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
125 Posts

Posted - October 21 2017 :  10:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to replace the Handy Rifle I had in 500 S&W. I shortened it to 16 and had a barrel band front sight. It was the meanest thing you ever saw. Unfortunately for me, it was not just mean looking, it was BRUTAL! After I got rid of it I started loading 500 S&W and had a 500 grain load at 1,000 FPS that was a dandy, and quite tolerable. The skunk I sold it to won't consider letting me buy it back.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!

Edited by - BatteryOaksBilly on October 22 2017 09:25:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

zeke
Average Member

250 Posts

Posted - October 22 2017 :  12:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 45-70 that I mentioned is being cut down specifically to try out a hybrid and subsonic loads. Am not unfamiliar with the result of shooting 350 gn hunting loads through a 18 inch Marlin, but will try some through the H&R.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 23 2017 :  09:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BatteryOaksBilly

I have been trying to replace the Handy Rifle I had in 500 S&W. I shortened it to 16 and had a barrel band front sight. It was the meanest thing you ever saw. Unfortunately for me, it was not just mean looking, it was BRUTAL! After I got rid of it I started loading 500 S&W and had a 500 grain load at 1,000 FPS that was a dandy, and quite tolerable. The skunk I sold it to won't consider letting me buy it back.

Nifty. I still have a vivid image in my mind of the time Mike S. shot a S&W revolver in .500 into gel at one of the Hoot & Shoots.

The front block stood up and rolled over the back block and fell off the table - I looked at the box and it was "Light practice load" or something like that!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2214 Posts

Posted - October 23 2017 :  5:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure do miss those Hoot&Shoots............
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9431 Posts

Posted - October 24 2017 :  09:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Larges

Sure do miss those Hoot&Shoots............
Russ

Me too!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.36seconds. Snitz Forums 2000